Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I guess this forum section justifies the cost of ebay and PayPal!  (Read 88870 times)
G8WWD

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »

Well, I have read a lot of these comments here about people losing gear. They have trusted a complete stranger and lost gear, money or both.

I buy and sell gear on ebay occasionally when it is time for a change. I often cringe a the final valuation fees and the PayPal fees on top, but look at them as a form of insurance. On the odd occasion where I have had to raise a case against a seller, or a buyer has not been happy with what I have sent, the ebay system makes it easy and pretty much trouble free to get money refunded and goods returned.

Having seen several scams going on and also had emails from bogus people wanting to buy or sell stuff on forums, I simply do not go down that route any more. In short, if I don't know you from Adam, then why on earth would I trust you with a high value transaction? Similarly, how do you know you can trust me if you don't know me? Unfortunately, the days when you can trust pretty much everyone are long gone as far too many unscrupulous people use the internet as a screen to hide behind.

I know that ebay isn't everyone's favourite and that it costs, but I simply look at it as insurance that the transaction will go through smoothly and if it doesn't, that I have some way of recourse.

Gordon G8WWD
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »

..I buy and sell gear on ebay occasionally when it is time for a change. I often cringe a the final valuation fees and the PayPal fees on top, but look at them as a form of insurance. On the odd occasion where I have had to raise a case against a seller, or a buyer has not been happy with what I have sent, the ebay system makes it easy and pretty much trouble free to get money refunded and goods returned....

And the reverse is true also.  A buyer can claim the goods were no good to begin with, and E-bay and PayPal can and do take the buyers word and refund the money.  Goods returned?  Yeah, right--if your lucky.

I sold a set of radios in working condition to someone, and I had the money taken back out of my account because the radios were supposedly DOA.  What did I get back?  Not the radios I sent to the guy--but a set of the same brand radios that were good only as paperweights.  And before you ask--my bad--I didn't record the serial numbers or take any worthwhile pictures of the units I sold.

There are dishonest people all around, and if you're unlucky enough to deal with one of them, you're screwed, unless you act as if everyone is dishonest and is out to get you.

In all fairness, I have sold things through E-bay and had no problems at all with the buyer or the transaction.  I only point out that there are instances where the completely unexpected can happen.
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

On one hand, eBay and posting on internet sites' classified ads sections have given us access to a larger selection of radios and parts than we could get at the local hamfests. Almost anything you want will eventually show up on eBay, it seems.  On the other hand, whenever you purchase something through the mail, sight unseen, you are taking a risk.  This is unfortunately true, even though at one time, buying from a fellow Ham was a guarantee in itself.

I have a Kenwood TS-520 that I bought a year or two ago from a ham via the eHam.net classified ads and it works like a charm.  I am very satisfied with that particular transaction.  However, perhaps we have to set aside five or ten percent of each purchase or sale price and "self-insure" against the day that we will be disappointed in a future transaction. It is somewhat a fatalistic view of human nature, but practical.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »

On the other side of the issue...

I read this last night in the comments section of the survey question on eHam's home page:

Purchased SM220 from a ham in Michigan. He
wanted money order only. Sent it, he cashed
it and I never got item. Contacted postal
inspectors and this was their comment "prove
he did not mail it to you" and "this is less
than $5000 and we only pursue claims over that
amount". What rang true to me was that YOU
have to prove the guy did not mail it. How are
you going to do that? PayPal Only from now
on. Learned my lesson the hard way.

So I guess there are those who swear by PayPal... and those who swear at PayPal.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

The whole Paypal/Ebay system is broken. The Chinese crooks have creeped into the low end of the Ebay market with small dollar items.The scam is pretty simple.
Offer free postage that typically takes 3 or more weeks to deliver.  They dont send the goods. You  file a dispute and Ebay and Paypal put you through the BS. In the meantime you run out of time and Ebay and Paypal close the dispute. The seller never sends the goods. So I can only imagine how many times they ripping off  people this way.

My advice with these China seller is pull the trigger as quick as possible with negative feedback. You can always remove it  if you wrong.

I have been ripped off with several small  electronics purchases. What these sellers dont know is that  mail is tracked into virtually all European and Western countries. When you lodge a lost mail item  they can track it. If its not in their system it has not been sent. Its just unfortunate that EBay and Paypal turn a blind eye to this bit of truth and continue to protect these ebay/paypal crooks.

It seems its easier to rip off 1000's of people of 5 dollars than trying to steal big ticket items.

EBAY AND PAYPAL are condoning and facilitating these crooks. I now dont buy anything electronic or small from Ebay. I go to Mouser or Digikey.  Theres just too many fake parts and crooks on Ebay and  you cant even discuss this with Ebay they worst than  the government call centers. In my mind Ebay is as low as the scum that steal your money
W2JLB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »

The one thing that jumped out at me when I visited eBay was how many of the items are "new" and, they don't appear to be dealers.

AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »

On the other side of the issue...

I read this last night in the comments section of the survey question on eHam's home page:

Purchased SM220 from a ham in Michigan. He
wanted money order only. Sent it, he cashed
it and I never got item. Contacted postal
inspectors and this was their comment "prove
he did not mail it to you" and "this is less
than $5000 and we only pursue claims over that
amount". What rang true to me was that YOU
have to prove the guy did not mail it. How are
you going to do that? PayPal Only from now
on. Learned my lesson the hard way.

So I guess there are those who swear by PayPal... and those who swear at PayPal.

Virtually, every package can be assigned a tracking number.  If you don't cheap out on postage trying to save a few bucks. Demand that the seller send the package using a tracked service such as FedEx, UPS, or USPS Priority mail.

That moves the ball into their court to prove they sent the package.  Nevertheless, I always like to use paypal, it's worth the extra few dollars it costs, and I always mail with a tracked service.

If the seller refuses, walk away, that is a major red flag of a possible scam.  If you still get scammed, call the local law enforcement in the person's town for assistance.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

My advice with these China seller is pull the trigger as quick as possible with negative feedback. You can always remove it  if you wrong.

That is a real $hitty thing to do as you can not remove feedback yourself. You can only request it be removed. Some of these "Chinese Sellers" have 100% feedback. I have purchased from a few of them without incident. You can loose a good seller a sale by doing that. Do it enough and you will loose your Ebay account or at the worst expose yourself to legal action. That is real $hitty advice there pal.......I am sure you would be real happy if someone did that to you. You should be ashamed!!!   Undecided
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:16:26 PM by K2GWK » Logged

YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

The whole Paypal/Ebay system is broken. The Chinese crooks have creeped into the low end of the Ebay market with small dollar items.The scam is pretty simple.
Offer free postage that typically takes 3 or more weeks to deliver.  They dont send the goods. You  file a dispute and Ebay and Paypal put you through the BS. In the meantime you run out of time and Ebay and Paypal close the dispute. The seller never sends the goods. So I can only imagine how many times they ripping off  people this way.

I've had to deal with them myself a few times. First of all, you have 45 days to file a complaint with Paypal, and in the auction it says shipping takes 20 to 40 days. After you pay, they tell you it will take 30-40 BUSINESS days and if you don't get the item in time they ask you to contact them, they promise to solve the problem, but don't leave negative feedback.

I usually reply "in the auction it said shipping will take 20-40 days, that's what I paid for and that's how much I am going to wait". I always got the items in 20 to 25 days, no reason for it to take much more than that. However, on a few occasions I didn't get them at all, and on the 40th day I told them to refund the payment or I will contact Paypal and Ebay and ask for their accounts to be suspended; I got the refund instantly, and I left neutral feedback.

We are talking about cheap items (US$ 5 to 15).

Here's how a message from one of these guys looks:

Dear friend,
This is ebay seller from China. How are you today?
Firstly, thank you very much for your purchase. Your item had already on its way to you; the shipping usually takes 30 to 40 business days, so please wait patiently.
If the item fails to arrive in time, or there is any problem with the item, please send email to us, we will handle it within 24 hours (workdays) and offer you a satisfactory solution.
And please do not open eBay cases or leave any feedbacks before any communication between us. Please do contact us first, thank you.
Just want you know that it’s our great pleasure to serve you.
Have a nice day.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:09 AM »

I've had to deal with them myself a few times. First of all, you have 45 days to file a complaint with Paypal, and in the auction it says shipping takes 20 to 40 days. After you pay, they tell you it will take 30-40 BUSINESS days and if you don't get the item in time they ask you to contact them, they promise to solve the problem, but don't leave negative feedback.

I usually reply "in the auction it said shipping will take 20-40 days, that's what I paid for and that's how much I am going to wait". I always got the items in 20 to 25 days, no reason for it to take much more than that. However, on a few occasions I didn't get them at all, and on the 40th day I told them to refund the payment or I will contact Paypal and Ebay and ask for their accounts to be suspended; I got the refund instantly, and I left neutral feedback.

Here's how a message from one of these guys looks:

Dear friend,
This is ebay seller from China. How are you today?
Firstly, thank you very much for your purchase. Your item had already on its way to you; the shipping usually takes 30 to 40 business days, so please wait patiently.
If the item fails to arrive in time, or there is any problem with the item, please send email to us, we will handle it within 24 hours (workdays) and offer you a satisfactory solution.
And please do not open eBay cases or leave any feedbacks before any communication between us. Please do contact us first, thank you.
Just want you know that it’s our great pleasure to serve you.
Have a nice day.

You handled the situation perfectly when your parts didn't show up.

K7BOG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

Honestly, PayPal will work with you, as a seller, if you get scammed by a buyer.  They have seller protection, too.  In order to qualify for it, you need to have tracking with your package, and signature confirmation. You should also insure the item.  If the buyer tries to pull any fast ones on you, you can go to PayPal with the signature confirmation and tracking number and they will back you up against a scammer. 

As far as Ebay goes, as a seller I'll open an unpaid item case after 3 business days, if an item is unpaid. You can always close those without incident later on. As a buyer, I'll give the seller 1 week to ship my item, he/she then gets an email from me and then I wait another 3 business days and then I'll open a complaint. You can always close the complaints later, when the transaction is over.  I'd never wait 30 days to open a case, that's silly. It's best to open them early and close them after the issue is resolved, no matter what.

As a Ham, I will never buy from another ham outside of PayPal, nor would I sell an item outside of PayPal, unless I know you. PayPal has it's flaws, but if you do your homework on the seller/buyer (get their callsign, make sure they have their call in the photos of their gear, etc), you'll be fine MOST OF THE TIME. There are always exceptions to the rule, but usually the transactions work out well in the end.

If a buyer/seller has an issue with the fees for PayPal, I'd rather tack them onto the sale of the item, rather than suffer a loss later on.
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »

WHY DOES EVERYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT EBAY AT EHAM? BUY FROM EHAM CLASSIFIEDS  !!
KD5RGJ
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »

If the seller refuses, walk away, that is a major red flag of a possible scam.  If you still get scammed, call the local law enforcement in the person's town for assistance.
What???

If you agree to buy something with specified shipping terms, and then after winning or checking out, you request a different shipping method, don't feel that the seller is carrying out a possible scam.

I'd just suggest if anyone uses this method, at least ask before you buy or bid. Also, Priority Mail is not tracked by default, you have to purchase delivery confirmation or use Express Mail (which is also next day service).

The one thing that jumped out at me when I visited eBay was how many of the items are "new" and, they don't appear to be dealers.

Some people get a "hookup" with a large lot of merchandise either wholesale or what have you (perhaps an auctioned off crate was never picked up at a port), and they attempt to offload it on eBay.

Quote from:  link=topic=92072.msg734286#msg734286 date=1391580418

I purchased a few small items, the largest was a HT; I've never been burned, the packages came from Hong Kong, they all had tracking numbers, it was my understanding all their postal items were tracked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: