Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logger for Mac ?  (Read 4616 times)
IW0HQE

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »

Hello this is IW0HQE, Alessandro. I recently bought a Macintosh (Mac Mini) and I am using it as my main computer.

I am looking for a software that allows me to manage my station log, as well as my awards. I'd need to follow the DXCCs awards, and also it is very important for me to have a tool to check my DXCC Challenge situation for each band slot (worked/conformed/awarded).

On my small netbook I still use my old software (BBlogger), but I couldn't find a good option that allows me to follow the awards on my Mac.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Alessandro
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »

A little pricey but well worth the money http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »

FL Log is a free program.   I'm just starting to look at the options myself.

http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »

hi

a great site for Mac OS Hamradio related software is

http://machamradio.com/

it list all kinds of s/w that runs on the Mac including loggers and analyzers.
and other type of ham radio related activity s/w...

also
clublog.com is a good place to upload your log data for analysis ...

i use macloggerdx cause it will automatically upload to clublog.com
and
creates adif files used by TQSL to upload to LOTW

also
i use cocoamodem for cw, rtty and psk
and
SDR-dx for my SDR-IQ  sdr receiver...

just to name a few Mac programs

hope this help you bring your Mac and hamradio together
Paul K3SF

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:03 AM »

Hello this is IW0HQE, Alessandro. I recently bought a Macintosh (Mac Mini) and I am using it as my main computer.
I am looking for a software that allows me to manage my station log, as well as my awards. I'd need to follow the DXCCs awards, and also it is very important for me to have a tool to check my DXCC Challenge situation for each band slot (worked/conformed/awarded).
On my small netbook I still use my old software (BBlogger), but I couldn't find a good option that allows me to follow the awards on my Mac.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have.
Thanks in advance.
Alessandro

Alessandro,

Welcome to ham radio on the Mac!  There are a lot of great software packages out there, and here are details of a few of them.  I also run a Mac Mini for my ham radio needs...it is a great computer for this kind of work and I think you'll be very happy.

For logging software packages, there are a wide variety of choices, but the main three are MacLoggerDX, Aether and RUMlog. 

MLDX is a beautiful program that provides rig control and logging in a gorgeous package.  It does some award tracking (DXCC, WAS, IOTA, WAZ, and VUCC), supports import/export of ADIF files for LoTW support, and MUCH MUCH more. It supports connection with CocoaModem for digital modes usage. My biggest complaint about MLDX is the way it handles QSLs.  It lumps eQSL, LoTW and paper QSLs all together, instead of tracking each separately for awards tracking...as you likely know, some awards accept eQSL while some don't, same goes for LoTW; however, MLDX tracks them all the same.  It costs $99.

Aether is another option. It is available via the Mac App Store as well as direct from the developer.  In addition to logging and rig control, it provides support for direct upload/download from eQSL and LoTW (no need to export an ADIF file and run it through TQSL and then upload) and tracks QSLs separately by type.  I can't recall exactly which awards it tracks, but it does have support for several different ones. It supports AppleScript and can interface with CocoaModem or can run a macro to import logs from Fldigi for the fans of digital modes.  Aether costs $39

Finally there is RUMlog.  RUMlog also provides rig control and logging. It supports direct upload/downlod to and from eQSL, LoTW, and ClubLog and tracks eQSL/LoTW/paper all separately. The award tracking includes DXCC, IOTA, WAS, WAZ, German DOK, and Grid Squares (VUCC). For fans of digital modes, it also fully supports automatic log import from Fldigi and can connect to CocoaModem as well. Tom (DL2RUM) is a very responsive developer (as are all of the developers of these programs) and a DXer.  The cost is the best part; free!

If you're interested in Contest logging software, then there is also RUMped and Skookum Logger.  RUMped is written by the developer of RUMlog while Skookum Logger is developed by K1GQ.  Both support rig control and are designed for a WIDE variety of contests. Additionally, MLDX and Aether both support some basic contest capabilities. 

I've used all three of these packages, and for my preferences of chasing DX and digital modes I use RUMlog. I do a lot of digital modes, and the interfacing with Fldigi is top notch.  I think that you'd be happy with either RUMlog or Aether, but I don't know if MLDX would meet your needs because of the way it handles QSLs.  I would strongly encourage you to try them all (Aether and MLDX have demo versions...RUMlog is free) and find the one that works best for you. 

I hope this is useful.  Feel free to contact me directly at k3dcw (at) arrl dot net if you have any questions or need any advice.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
IW0HQE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »

Hello again, I'd like to thank you all for the information and support.

I downloaded both MacLoggerDX and RUMlog, I will try them out for a while to see which better fits my needs.

Thanks again. 73's !
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

Hello again, I'd like to thank you all for the information and support.

I downloaded both MacLoggerDX and RUMlog, I will try them out for a while to see which better fits my needs.

Thanks again. 73's !

Let us know which software you choose and why. That kind of feedback is valuable for other users as well.

73!

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KC2ZWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »

I have been using MacloggerDX for several years now and I can tell you you cannot find a more capable or better looking program Mac or PC. The interface is beautiful.

The support is second to none. I was lucky enough to have purchased the new Kenwood TS-990 (Thank You Myra (my wife)) and was dying to get it to work with MLDX. I emailed Don at Dogpark software the maker of MLDX and within a few hours he sent me link to download a beta version in which he added support for the new Kenwood. Now thats support!

As far as decoding RTTY, PSK etc. just download CocoaModem 2.0 (free) and you have a complete software suite for the Mac.

Worth every penny.

John
KC2ZWK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: