Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater Directories for iPhone/iPad -- Best Recommendations?  (Read 11474 times)
KI6VOS

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »

Dear Elmers,

In your opinion, what is the current state-of-the-marketplace for US Repeater Directories on Apple's iPhone or iPad?

Do you have a favorite? Warnings? Rumors?

*Also, does anyone know of a fairly recent article in one of the Ham journals (e.g., QST) which provides an overview of iPhone/iPad Repeater Directories?

Many, many thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

73 de KI6VOS

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »

There doesn't appear to be a whole of choices for repeater directory apps. As a matter of fact, when I searched the iTunes store for "repeater directory", it only came up with one: the RFinder Worldwide Repeater Directory. It cost $9.99, but if you look at the reviews for the current version, 11 people gave it 5 stars and only 1 person gave it 1 star. Their complaint was that it wasn't up to date and that is pretty much the same complaint about every repeater directory whether it is in print or online.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »

Good question.  I will subscribe to this thread as I have periodically been looking for the past two years for a decent  iPad iOS compatible repeater directory.  Hope someone else here can come up with something useful.

Ed   K7AAT
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:22 AM »

I like RepeaterBook. It works on the iPhone and iPad. It will sort repeaters by distance from your current location, so it's useful for traveling. The database is community-maintained and reasonably up to date. (I have submitted updates myself.)  It's either free or cheap, can't remember which.

73 de Tony
K1OC
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »

I use RFinder, great app on my iphone, but better still is the ability to bring into Rsystems and chirp programming software. On a recent trip to Colorado, I updated my HT to inculde all the local repeaters in less than 5 minutes.
NF9K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »

I use Freq Finder.  I've found it very handy.  You can select the radius from your current location, select what bands/modes (DSTAR) you're interested in and even tag repeaters as favorites.  It also gives you the ability to add a repeater to their database or to correct information.  Although I've submitted a few corrections, I've never really followed up to see if the information was actually changed.

On a recent trip from Indianapolis to Gatlinburg, as I'd find a live repeater, I'd flag it as a favorite.  I later used that favorites list as a program template for the next trip.

As with any repeater resource, you'll find a decent amount of dead machines out there.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: