Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Kenwood TS570 -- loose tuner  (Read 7908 times)
KC9YCP

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »

I can't figure out how to repair my loose main tuner.  I've got the front off and the VFO is just loose against the faceplate.  The shaft still turns fine...I can tune it... but it rubs the faceplate...not good.  There is a spring clip of some sort underneath the knob which is probably the solution/problem all in one.  But I need direction on how to fix this.  Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Paul
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »

The only advice I can give you from the distance, get the service manual and check out the exploded view.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Hi,

If you gently remove the rubber band that fits the tuning knob,
you will find access to a metric set screw.

73 james
KC9YCP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:26 AM »

Thank you however, It's not the set screw for the knob and shaft.  It's  the variable capacitor on the back of the face plate that has the shaft going into it.  I can't see any mechanism by which that thing was held stationary.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »

There is no variable capacitor. Remove the knob and behind it is a nut that you need to tighten.

Clif
KC9YCP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

Hi Cliff,
  Thanks for your reply but you must be thinking of another model.  I have a TS570-S.  The knob comes off with a set screw.  The metal post that the knob fastens to goes thru the faceplate into what is likely a variable capacitor.  That thing is loose.  The knob still turns fine.  No problem there.  It's just that the capacitor and it's post are not secured. 

A metal spring like device on the faceplate side may be the problem/solution however I have not figured out how it works yet.  No word yet back from Kenwood either.  I must have called the wrong number.

Paul
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »

Hi Paul,

The part you are writing about is the encoder,
the spring clip lets you add some drag to the vfo
so you can do a fine adjustment.

The service manual in PDF at no cost,
take a look at page #21, exploded drawing.

http://www.radiomanual.info/KENWOOD.html

73 james

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »

Hi Cliff,
  Thanks for your reply but you must be thinking of another model.  I have a TS570-S.  The knob comes off with a set screw.  The metal post that the knob fastens to goes thru the faceplate into what is likely a variable capacitor.  That thing is loose.  The knob still turns fine.  No problem there.  It's just that the capacitor and it's post are not secured. 

A metal spring like device on the faceplate side may be the problem/solution however I have not figured out how it works yet.  No word yet back from Kenwood either.  I must have called the wrong number.

Paul

I know exactly what I am talking about. There is an encoder on the other end of the shaft. The setup looks like a pot and the nut that mounts it to the front panel is loose.

Clif
KC9YCP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »

Hi Cliff,
Hmmm.   Sorry I misunderstood you and thanks for persisting with me!

After looking at it more closely with fresh eyes and this information I see that the circuit board snaps out of the faceplate.  I'll remove it and proceed from there.  I knew it had to be a mechanical issue with a likely easy fix.  I've worked on engines but this is my first radio.

I won't have time till Friday evening but will let you know how it goes.  Thank you again for your help!  I may need more help too as that spring clip under the knob is new to me...but that can wait till I get the encoder secured.

Thanks again!!

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: