Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum?  (Read 51743 times)
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:58 AM »

Good deal Ray...yes, most of the guys do use either 30 or 40 meters on the SOTA activations specifically to get the close-in guys.  I'm just completing my MTR two-band rig and I struggled for a long time trying to decide if I wanted 20/40 or 20/30.  I ended up with a 20/40 meter rig for several reasons.

Anyway, there is a good bit of east coast SOTA activity, although there is more out west...but it's constantly growing!

Oh, and I just remembered, I was actually running 3 watts from the KX3.  I normally turn the rig down when I'm battery powered - the KX3 is more efficient at 3 watts and below. 

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

I think YahooGroups has fragmented what QRP-L used to be - a collection of technical and practical postings that fit the category several here have mentioned wanting to see. Problems were solved, QRP excursion stories were shared and DX accomplishments were celebrated. I joined QRP-L in 1994 and tolerated a series of silly moderators and K7RNO-type people because the "signal" more than made up for their noise.

Then YahooGroups came along and a new group was formed for each and every QRP rig. Each owner scattered to his particular group and QRP-L became a ghost town and a (very) Lite version of what it had been.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »

Why not add a second QRP forum on this site, for above 5 watt's, it will need a volunteer too moderator it?
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »

Why not add a second QRP forum on this site, for above 5 watt's

Maybe we need new Q codes - for those not running QRP but still running a lot less than 100W :

QXP for those running 5-25W  ?

or QEP for those with short low efficiency antennas with an EIRP of less than 5W.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »

Why not add a second QRP forum on this site, for above 5 watt's, it will need a volunteer too moderator it?
Because that's not the generally accepted definition of QRP, perhaps?

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »

Because that's not the generally accepted definition of QRP, perhaps?

Hey Lee,
  How you doing? Good answer, by the way.  Grin
  Maybe we can have a 2nd DX forum for those that don't work DX.  Grin

If I could ever work a new one I'd be able to send you an update. I've been chasing A92IO for months, much to my frustration. I actually found him one night and had him one on one, but he didn't hear me. A quick check of the prop charts explained that. You would think all EU would have worked A9 1000 times each, but when I do have propagation its all EU all the time.
  Maybe I'll get through to K9W. haha
  Take care and 73/DX

- Larry NU4B
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »

I think YahooGroups has fragmented what QRP-L used to be - a collection of technical and practical postings that fit the category several here have mentioned wanting to see. Problems were solved, QRP excursion stories were shared and DX accomplishments were celebrated. I joined QRP-L in 1994 and tolerated a series of silly moderators and K7RNO-type people because the "signal" more than made up for their noise.

Then YahooGroups came along and a new group was formed for each and every QRP rig. Each owner scattered to his particular group and QRP-L became a ghost town and a (very) Lite version of what it had been.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

Agreed, and this is why I abandoned that list 8 or 10 years ago.

But, it was quite good in its heyday.  I think lists and groups that take a little bit of effort to find and join -- and that aren't co-mingled with other, non-QRP ham groups, tend to attract more technical and enthusiastic voices. 

Sort of like how Morse tests required a some effort and helped keep the CW bands' quality higher.   Grin
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

Maybe we can have a 2nd DX forum for those that don't work DX.  Grin

To be fair the DX forum here is really the DXPedition forum, so maybe we can spin that off and have the DX forum for discussing long distance communications irrespective of people's trips to exotic locations.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »

I would like to apologize for my two abrasive and aggressive posts in this thread.

I just visited it again and, after some distance, I see that I behaved like an obnoxious jerk. I am sorry for attacking you, K8AXW, and for annoying others who read my posts.

If you can accept my apologies, then please hear that I am very new to amateur radio and, at this early stage, have far more questions than I could ever contribute on valuable content. Because I only work QRP, I am a regular reader of most threads in this forum but most of my posts on eHam were regarding antennas, where I am even more challenged. As of now I can only work portable but hope to be able to install some kind of doublet at my home soon.

Thank you for letting me speak, and thank you for reading any questions I may be posting here. Right now, I don't even know what to ask...

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »

I agree, especially with the new KX3 rigs, new Chinese HF rigs like the KN-920, Icom's IC-703 running 10 watts, as well as the SGC 2020, Vertex VX 1210 and other manpack radios running 20 watts and above.

I've long maintained that the ARRL should also have another QRP contest category, 25 watts and under, that would open the door for the above aforementioned radios as well as the 10 meter mobile rigs that put out 25 watts like the HTX 100, HTX 10 and so on. 

While 5 watts is great, sometimes that isn't good enough. That 10 or 20 watts might make a difference of being heard or not. If the ARRL opened up another category with 25 watts and under, it would also benefit the ecomm and manpack enthusiasts.

It will create new possibilities for contests and perhaps make some of the manufacturers notice the demand as well. Since the SGC 2020 was discontinued some years ago, there hasn't been any 20 watt HF rig on the ham radio market. (While the Vertex VX-1210 has 20 watts, it is really aimed at a different market.)

Perhaps a new QRP category here on eham could get the ball rolling, not everyone runs 5 watts and not everyone runs 100 watts.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »

Re: W4KYR  reply #39

Just an observation on my part, with the exception of the few expected OED definition police I don't believe participants in this forum really care if you are running 25w or 250mw, it's all low power and all posted questions will be responded to in the usual manner the same as 25w to 100w (also considered low power to some)questions will be responded to in the other appropriate eHam forums. As this forum stands now there are often times a lack of interesting new low power related topics.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:47:45 AM by W1JKA » Logged
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:27 AM »

I only point out the stated purpose of the forum (discussion of operations at the 5 watt and less power level) when those without callsigns adamantly post here that one can't effectively communicate without some higher level of power.  Other than tweaking those folks, I don't much care if you choose to run 10 or 20 watts and don't have a huge problem with it being discussed here, although the fact is that 20 watts is only slightly closer to 5 watts than it is to 100 watts.  In the almost three years I've operated exclusively QRP, I've never felt the extra 6 dB that 20 watts affords was needed.  Further, I am attempting several operating achievements that are recognized at the 5 watt level, but not at the 20 watt level.  So, even though I have radios that are capable of more output, the only time you'll find me using more power in the foreseeable future is if I get my DX40 up and running for ragchewing on 80 and 40m!

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: