Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna feeds through aluminum frame windows  (Read 8718 times)
KK6GMN

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

I have aluminum frame slide windows in my proposed shack location.  I am wondering if using a home made version of a MFJ-4605 but mount it so through plate would be vertical in the frame of the horizontal slide window would introduce SWR issues?

Thanks!

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »

I bought something like this from Ham Radio Outlet.  I have a utility room off my balcony so I'm going to use this to pass it under the door.  I'll then pass it through the wall.  I think these are designed to work with windows as well.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9108

--Leo
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

Thanks Leo. 

Would you expect something like that to cause issues with an aluminum frame window as far as SWR goes?  I am trying not to drill the wall if if I don't have to.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...

Weather at my shack
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »

If you are passing coax through it should not be a problem.  If you are passing ladder line through, then yes, you need to treat it in a special way. . I use a 4 inch plastic PVC elbow , with the outside pointing down to bring in my many many coax's.

good luck.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

i have two of the Comet feed units: one for HF on 80M-10M (100W); one for 2M (40W).  They work as specified with an aluminum window frame and a remote tuner on the HF vertical.  I would not use them with a non-resonant antenna or with an in-shack tuner.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »

If you are just bringing in coax it shouldn't be a problem - I just cut a piece of 1x2 wood
to fit the window frame, drilled some holes through it for the coax, then sliced it lengthwise
through the holes so I could separate the halves, put the coax in the holes (even if it had
connectors on the ends), put it back together, and shut the window on it.  The only issue
is if the window doesn't seal well enough, in which case I used foam weatherstripping.

My first antenna used twinlead for the feeder, and it went out through a metal window frame
just with an old sock wrapped around it for a bit of added insulation.

If you use wood or plastic (possibly plastic pipe) then you probably can bring open wire
line or twinlead in the same way - just use a bit wider of a spacer to keep it away from
the window frame.  (And even wider spacing if you are running a kW through it.)  Yes,
there will be an impedance bump, but hams rarely use matched balanced lines, so the
tuner will take care of it.
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will keep you posted on my tests.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...

Weather at my shack
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »

Coax, no problem. With 300 ohm TV Twin lead I simply slam the aluminum window on it and let the tuner do its job.
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

I'm a little confused. Do you own the house? If so drill a 1/2 inch hole through the wall. You rent? Drill it anyway. Patch it before you leave. I just can't figure out why someone would screw up a $500 window when they can drill a 1/2 inch hole through a wall. JMHO
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »

I had asbestos siding on my old house - no way did I want to drill through that!
I've seen stucco and brickwork crack when it wasn't drilled properly as well.
So there are times when a hole isn't the best solution.
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:31:15 AM »

Wife is all for me having a radio(s), but not me poking holes in her walls.  Grin

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...

Weather at my shack
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »

Code:
Wife is all for me having a radio(s), but not me poking holes in her walls.  Grin

Out of self defense my XYL got her license also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: