Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessory Control Relay  (Read 29552 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

I use a constant duty solenoid, like a ford starter solenoid, but made to  be on for hours.  about 20 bucks and easy to set up, can be bought in sizes up to several hundred amps of capacity.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

The solenoid was my first choice - in fact I have one sitting here that I purchased for the purpose. The problem is that space is rather tight and I didn't like the exposed terminals (no room for a plastic box around it). The automotive relay is smaller and fully insulated. Its rated for 40A so hopefully it will handle 20A peaks okay - it is never switched with more than about 2 amps flowing through it.

If you use a solenoid, make certain that it is rated for continuous duty. Many starter solenoids are only rated for intermittent use.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »

Used to have a carload of those relays from the old two-way days.  Some were the typical solenoid type and some were the horn relay case type but all had continuous duty windings.  Had I foreseen uproc controlled radios, I never would have thrown them away!  The first solid state radios used to advertise that the "pilot light draws more current than the receiver" but that was before uproc control.  They sure took a giant step backward in that regard.
Tom
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: