Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF problem  (Read 7564 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Hi I just recently put op my station in my new qth and I having issues with rf I put an 8ft rod and connected all the equipment on that but does not seem to solve the problem any ideas?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »

A single 8-foot ground rod seldom provides sufficient RF grounding to solve any RF issues.

What kind of issues are you having? What kind of antenna and feed line are you using?
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

Mi mic get hot sometimes while in 10 meter the the fan of the power supply goes off all this with the ampli on of course.  I am using a g5rv.  And I do have the rod installed
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

The first thing to try is a 8' 3" wire connected to the GND terminal on the amp or the radio, depending on which solves the problem. The wire lays on the floor.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:38:44 PM by WX7G » Logged
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »

That's the way I have connected
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »

Are you using a tuner, and is IT grounded? A G5RV antenna is not resonant on 10 meters. That could be your problem. What kind of feedline are you running to the antenna, and how far away from the shack is the antenna?
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:04 AM »

Well I  have the issue on other bands no just 10 and when I checked on ten I actually did it with a 10 meter. The antennas are fairly close to the shack
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

What kind of radio, how much power do you run, what kind of antenna tuner are you using? The best thing I have found is to use ferrite donuts made of the appropriate material and wrap the cords through and around them 4-5 times. The clamp on beads do not work as well in my opinion, but you can try those too.

73;

Mike, W7VO
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »

RF is a funny thing.....A RF ground needs to be low inductance (which is why broadcast stations use 4inch wide copper strap)....and the EARTH ground needs to be more than just a 8ft ground rod...Even an electrical ground for protection of lightning strikes, etc needs to be more than that....Sounds like you have a resonant line on 10 mtrs somewhere. You could use ferrite cores on leads attached to the radio to prevent stray RF from leaving except via the coax...also make sure the antenna is a decent distance from the gear or whatever it may be affecting. With RFI, there are a lot of variables to contend with, but with proper elimination, you'll find the culprit and fix the issue.
Contact me direct if you wish.
Chris
WB5ITT
(at arrl dot net)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: