Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 vs Yaesu FT-920  (Read 2053 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »

Hi everyone, I am looking to sale my kenwood ts-480 for a yaesu ft-920. I was wanting to know if anyone has some insite on that? How is the receiver and auto tuners compaired to each other. Thanks so much

73's
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:11:11 AM »

"Paging W8JX, paging W8JX ..."   Wink
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »

TS480 ATU is faster - not sure about the range as I don't like to use shack end tuners for anything other than correcting small mismatches to ensure the transceiver isn't folding back. The transmit and received audio "out of the box" also seems "brighter" with the TS480 although that can be addressed on the FT920 easily enough. FT920 receiver is a bit noisier than the TS480 on a quiet band.

FT920 better ergonomically due to having more knobs and buttons to press.

On a like for like basis its about as equal as you can get doing a mobile to base radio swap. I don't think you'd be sat there regretting it if you do the deal.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »

The  480 is a newer rig and has better specs and is still in production. The 920 is a nice looking rig but long out of production and lacking in selectivity too. It uses of technology filters with broad skirts.It also lacks the computer interface sophistication of 480.  Like other poster said you may regret it.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: