Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you chase DXCC on 160M?  (Read 23450 times)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »

I find in my rural location, about the only QRN I have to deal with is atmospherics.
Still, the EWE array gives me useful improvement in received S:N, over the vertical and doublet. I have parts to build a preamplifier, but so far, haven't bothered, my receiver has enough gain to hear the weaker signals. I figure there is not much point in being able to dig out weaker signals from the noise, as I doubt they'd hear me anyway. Another reason I chose the EWE is that I have horses in the paddock. Loops would have to be securely fenced. I'm just not familiar with all those commercial antennas that people talk about. Everything here is home brew.
Our 160 m allocation is 1800-1875, and the top loaded vertical is a reasonable match over that range, but I rarely go above 1830 or below 1815 kHz, so the match is good. No big deal though, as the pi coupler in the PA deals with it.
Still sitting on 88 countries after about 5 years on the band. I'm hoping to push past 100 this summer. In VK, DXCC on Top Band is a real big deal. We're not close to anything!
Luke VK3HJ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

EU is the place to be for getting DXCC quickly. However, I'd make the tradeoff to live in OZ. Besides the last time I was there the Freemantle Dockers were terrible and the exchange rate was awesome. Now the Dockers are doing well and our dollar is in the toilet.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »

Yes, EU certainly has the density of entities like nowhere else in the world.
DXCC on the "difficult" bands like 160 and 6 m would be relatively easy. DXCC would even be possible on 2 m and 70 cm via atmospheric ducting, over distances that would be equivalent to working interstate here.
For us, we need EU to make DXCC. On HF, Europe is easy. On 160 m, that means early mornings in our late summer. At least in the summer time, the early mornings aren't as cold as they have been over winter just gone!
The only thing about football I've not been able to ignore is the "supplements" scandal with the Essendon Bombers. It got them kicked out of the finals (they were contenders). The great football god reaches the peak of its glory in about 3 weeks time, I think...
I'll be busy working DX - and turning fifty!
Luke VK3HJ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »

Luke, I remember reading about the supplement scandal on the web.  It seems like every sport is having to go through this at some point.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:12 AM »

I plan on putting one or two up this fall. Should be fun. What are you using for a preamp?
Preamp is from I.C.E. I also bought my Front -end protector/RF limiter. Better safe than sorry.

Paul
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: