Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting the smoke smell out?  (Read 7589 times)
KA5IVR

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »

I recently bought an used Alpha 87a amplifier from a ham in AZ.  He LIED about the amp being from a Smoke-Free environment.  The smell was so bad at first that it was running me out of my shack.  I blew the ton of dust out of the inside and cleaned the cover and face plates in and out as good as I could.  I also placed a dryer sheet over the fan to suck that fresh scent in.  Now it is better, but it still smells to me.

What else can I do to get rid the smoke-smell?  Any sort of wash or spray safe for the inside?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:19:51 AM »

Anti-static foam cleaning spray from an electronics store.

It smells like cat urine when you put it on but liberally cover the thing in it including the inside of the lid, stand back and watch and you can see the nicotine and tar almost pouring off as the foam melts. Give it a good wipe over with some cloths and leave to dry.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »

Unfortunately, from my experience if it's been in a smokers shack for a long time, and that gooey smoke has circulated all through and around the equipment it's near impossible to get rid of that ash tray odor.  I just resurrected a 30 year veteran from a smoker's shack (ft-101b) and after I cleaned up the boards and switches and painted the case it helped the stench go away.  Tobacco smoke is not good for electronics, both in function and aesthetics, as well as the odor.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:51 AM »

Another option I used on 2 old tar encased Hallicrafter recapped receivers was to remove speaker/tubes and liberally spray Simple Green on/over everything including on/under/inside of chassis (tooth brushed it), this will soften and lift tar, then I waited about 30 mins. and rinsed everything in and out with tepid distilled water and put in warm oven (about 100*) for about 8 hrs. I then took an old lightly dampend T shirt and sprinkled a full box of baking soda on it while rolling it up and put inside the receiver for a week. Results  were very good, yes if I put my nose down on the speaker grills I can still detect a mild tar odor but sitting about 3-4 ft. away on the shelf no odor.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:09:41 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »

Krud Kutter spray cleaner can be found at hardware stores.  It is supposed to be 'green', and seems rather mild on the hands.  I dilute it with water in a dish.

It is the one cleaner I trust that gets out tobacco and mildew/mold smells. 

You can dab around with a rag, but you probably need to do a serious job at the kitchen sink.  Check out the Boat Anchor forums here and on QRZed for recommendations.

b.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »

Could you return it with the seller paying shipping both ways?
W4HTH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »

have had good luck after disassembly and scrubbing to put the parts before reassembly in a large plastic bag with fresh coffee grounds.
has worked for me in the past.

73 Jim
W4HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: