Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting over  (Read 1903 times)
KC5YN

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »

About 18 or so years ago I had a 50' tower with a TH6DXX, 6m 4 element yagi (not much activity then), 2m vert and an inverted 'V' cut for 40m. It was an OK setup then, but am starting over now.

Interested in some rag chewing on 40m and would like to try for DXCC within a year. Will have full legal limit power when needed.

On the ground I have obtained a 2 element 40m yagi, G5RV variant, a 2m vert. and a 48' BHX self supporting tower.

As I have 4 acres (and a reasonably understanding XYL) I'd like to add at least one 60 tower as I don't know if 48' will best serve the 40m yagi or be the centerpiece of a 80M dipole, Between trees and a couple of 35' poles I can add some wire antennas.

Being more and more into retirement, crank up/fold over towers are looking better and better.

All thoughts appreciated.

Sorry for rambling, but didn't know where to start. Your thought appreciated.

Law of Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »

The way conditions are now, you could probably get DXCC in a month (or a weekend during one of the CQ WW DX contests) even with just the G5RV.

A TH6 at 50 feet, I would love to have that.  It should have been a rocking setup for you.  Where was your QTH>

Regarding your current setup:

4 acres is excellent.  Lot of options.  Plus no home owner restrictions AND a supportive XYL.  Land, freedom, and a good wife.  OM, you are batting 1000!  Well done.

40M Yagi needs to be as high as possible, 48 feet too close to the ground for real DX work.  You need it half wave hight.  Get it on the 60 footer when you buy that tower.  Or maybe sell it.  Lots of mechanical challenges with yagis on the lower bands because they are so big, you could get $$ for it and get a nice yagi for the higher bands and put that on the 48 foot tower.  Also,  80M dipole on the 48 foot tower is good for rag chew. 

Are the poles wood or metal?  You could build some phased verticals on 40 with those and really do some great DX.

For the trees, try putting up some half square wires or bobtail curtains for 40 or 80 and that will really get some DX.

For 160, try an inverted L (if you want to try 160).

Hope this helps.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:26 AM »

I was in the same boat. Off the air for 15 years and had the HDBX-48 with a Moseley 2 element 40m beam, a Moseley Pro-37 above that and a 2 m vertical on top. Full wave delta loops for 40 and 80 along with a loaded sloper for 80/160 completed the antenna farm. Maybe the 40m beam wasn't s high as I'd have liked it but it did work pretty well.
Coincedentaly about the same time a good friend went off the air and decided to get back about the same time I was. He aslo has an HDBX-48 with an old tribander he wanted to replace. He opted to buy the Stepir with the 40m add-on. That was 2 years ago and the Stepir is still sitting on the ground where we assembled it. Why you ask? Because like you nearing retirement....in our circle of friends can't find anyone to climb any longer. Unless you belong to a club with some young guns that will climb, that becomes a real issue as times goes by and you need maintenace done on your antenna, rotor, coax, etc. If I was able to put a tower up it would be a crank-down tilt over, no question about it. Just some food for thought.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »

How much of your money do we get to spend?  If you want DXCC within a year, almost any antenna will do right now... 
If I was in your shoes, I'd get the best tri-bander I could afford. While it's not ideal at ideal at your current towers height, it will do real well.

If you are going to use a 40m yagi you need to get that thing up as high as you can.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: