Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out smarted by the XYL- again  (Read 5652 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

My XYL has yet to sit for her amateur radio license and has no interest in learning code but only using voice mode. A few months ago she came into the shack and informed me that she just purchased a small rig to learn on, I immediately thought that this was to be her incentive to get her license. As usual before I could get a word out to question her about it she immediately started her diatribe about how wonderful it was. First she was thrilled that it was capable of DX and she could contact our kids in Bali, Seattle and Madrid about anytime she wanted without any propagation concerns. She also was excited about being able to use it about any where and as she so delicately put it " not stuck in a hole surrounded by a bunch of boxes and cords and  having to be hooked up to a mess of back yard up in the air wires that looked like an upside down umbrella"
  Hot damn, I'm now thinking she ordered a KX3 which she has heard me talking quite a bit about lately and a very tactful way of getting her voice mode (I'm strictly cw). During a short pause to regain her breath I quickly asked " when is it coming"? to which she immediately said "I've got it already it's out on the kitchen table" then, as I am the sole income source and bill payer I asked "how much"? $120.00 with incentives she said. Obviously I had to  see this thinking it was another one of her ill fated eBay purchases and followed her into the kitchen expecting to see a UPS box postmarked Aptos , CA. but no such luck and I won't repeat my WTF response when she pulled out a purple cased latest and greatest Smart cell phone made by Sammy's son or some such.
  Epilogue: In the last few months I have now learned that the "Privilege" of using this new combination of clear speech Dx, mini computer, game arcade or about anything else except wipe your bottom and push the flush handle shack in the pocket book rig cost around $1200.00 a year. After regaining my composure I can take some solace in thinking that four years of :Privilege " money would be about equal to a new mid level solid state radio with associated gear that would probably be outdated and need replacing in the same time period.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:22 AM »

After regaining my composure
= 2 double-headers with a quart beer chaser!

Anyone who thinks they can "outfox" their wife is delusional!  They don't play by the same rules. 

If and when you ever do "win" one, that is also an illusion and you need to keep looking over your  shoulder. Be careful when you bend over because it's a coming boy!

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

>> ... Anyone who thinks they can "outfox" their wife is delusional!

A good friend of mine bought a new 220 mobile rig and installed it in his garage ham shack.
And although it was "installed" on a shelf, his wife IMMEDIATELY noticed it one morning.

We have a wonderful linked system on 220 out her named, "The Condor Connection." So
my friend programmed a channel alphanumerically, "CONDOR."

His wife saw that, and blurted, "What is THAT?"

Sheepishly, my friend replied, "Well, dear, I am just tracking an endangered species ... "

Clint Bradford
http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »

What I would do now is install Echolink on her phone, and use it to pull up a repeater in Europe or Japan. Show her that amateur radio can outsmart her smartphone.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »

Re: KX8N

Thanks for the Echolink info, I just checked out the website which said it was a free service to radio amateurs, the only problem is that my XYL is a real pro, in fact she recently went to the beauty  parlor for a hairdo and came back with a $200.00 wig which might have been justifyable if she shaved her head and wore it all the time, but she told me she was only going to wear it when I was out of town. I just can't catch a break.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »

These tales make me feel really good. My XYL is a ham - we met at the radio club when she was 16 and I was 29. 30 years married last week, and she travels the world for her work, which is teaching people how to use her employer's software to design integrated circuits. If I want machines for the workshop or test gear - no problem, although she does bitch about buying cheap twist drills which seem to have lead shanks.  I told her I'm thinking of buying an amplifier  - no problem. All I have to do is shop for food  and cook dinner and currently, sort out getting a regular weekly cleaner which she will pay for......

Even though she's not active on the air, the last moan about antennas was because the tower was wound down for too long........If I do a contest (doesn't happen these days for other reasons) the moaning is if I don't do reasonably well in it.....and missing a new DXCC country would REALLY land me in the doo-dah.

She comes back from trips to the Far East with bottles of really good cognac for me and she doesn't drink........

Swapping her is not offered as an option, guys.....
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »

Peter, does your wife have a sister?

73 james
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

We are exceptionally fortunate.  Both myself and the XYL are licensed and both of us enjoys ham radio. There are real advantages here.
1.  It is something we can do together and both enjoy
2.  With the children out and off the family payroll we have more time AND MONEY to devote to ham radio
3.  It is much easier to explain and justify that money
4.  Dayton is a real vacation, we both go and we both enjoy it.

Maybe the ARRL will come up with a "Worked My Spouse" award

WB2EOD with KC2THQ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »

JKA:  The wig story reminded me of one I read quite some time ago.  A woman decided to have some fun with her husband.  She bought a beautiful long haired wig and came home and surprised her husband.

He flipped out over the way she looked and was all over her like a teenager with his first crush.  Instead of being happy she was upset and became despondent because "she thought he didn't like her or love her the way she was."

Like I said, "they don't play by the same rules."  Actually, they are constantly changing the rules as they see fit. 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:41 AM »

'AXW

>Actually, they are constantly changing the rules as they see fit.<

Just like politicians, then.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

There are rules, they are just not fixed or codified. They are changed to meet the current circumstances. And only the ladies have the option of changing them.

That's as best as I can figure it out.... Huh
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

IPF:  Right!  Now that you understand the situation, then you should be good to go.

JKA:  Yep, exactly right!  This is what the politicians do and to add insult to injury, they pay laws for us that doesn't apply to them! 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »

KE4DRN,

>Peter, does your wife have a sister?<

No. Just a brother - who a has call sign but is inactive. Like her dad.

Tough luck!

Find yourself an electronics engineer who is a ham......But my advice is to make sure you can cook well first, plus be able to load the dishwasher, the washing machine and the tumble drier and use the vacuum cleaner and do the dusting. Then when you do the shopping, get her some flowers....

Then remember you have the last words in the house. "Yes, dear".

So then when you say, I want to buy an Acom 1500 amplifier or a 4 element Steppir or an HP Spectrum Analyser, she says " Yes dear". And her only moan is that the tower has been wound down too long, even though she doesn't want to use the rig...

Well, it's worked for over 30 years for me. Back in 1983, she would have a CW QSO every day to get her Morse speed up. On Sept 10, 1983, she signed sending "Must go now to get ready for my wedding in 90 minutes"....

the other guys Morse went to pieces at that!

Peter G3RZP

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »

Re: G3RZP

Lucky guy, sounds like a match made in ham heaven.

The only reason my marriage has lasted 44 yrs. is that I was away at sea more than half of it.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

hi,

just kidding but I already got this one down..

"Then remember you have the last words in the house. "Yes, dear"."

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: