Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navigator Interface Still Necessary?  (Read 9801 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

I purchased my US Interface Navigator (now to be under Timewave it seems) for use with my Icom 756 PRO3. Now that I have an IC-7600 with it's USB interface, what does the Navigator do for me, i.e., what's to be gained vs connecting the 7600 directly to my PC?

I'm using HRD and RS-BA1 software on the PC.

Thanks
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »

Alan -

The Timewave Navigator (former US Interface) is an EXTERNAL DSP (Sound Card) Modem
http://navigator-interface.com/default.html
designed by Glenn Wetherell, W3GWW (SK) and supported by Clint Hurd, KK7UQ over the past 10 years.
Computer based software (Windows, OS-X, Android, iOS) can manipulate audio
through the Digital Signal Processor (DSP) in the Navigator.

Icom IC-7600 (Product Description)
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7600/
USB connectors on the front and rear panel
The IC-7600 has one USB connector on the front panel and one on the rear panel. Y
ou can connect a USB keyboard or USB flash drive to the front panel (type A plug) and
connect a PC to the rear panel (type B plug).
Using the CI-V data format and external software*,
you can control the IC-7600 from a PC via the USB port.
You can also transfer audio, both transmit and receive, via the USB port.
====
The USB access port is performing MULTIPLE functions (likely through usage of an internal multi-port bridge from MPU's serial port) that includes RADIO CONTROL (Icom CI-V), KEYBOARD INPUT, USB AUDIO, STORAGE (Flash Drive).

RTTY and PSK appear to be "pre-loaded" in the IC-7600 firmware, BUT what about other modes?
IF you only use CW, RTTY and PSK for your Digital Modes, provided by the IC-7600,
then the Navigator would not be required

w9gb
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:45:13 PM by W9GB » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »

If you load the Icom supplied driver on your pc doesn't the IC7600 appear as a USB sound card? Then you can select it and use any sound card software just the same as using the Navigator?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

I don't know about that interface, but I do have an IC-7410 that also has a direct USB connection. It works great for CI-V rig control and also for the soundcard modes, but there are two things that you can not do via the USB connection:

1) FSK RTTY
2) CW

To get around this, I put a dual serial card in my PC; one for FSK RTTY and the other for CW. I suppose USB-to-serial converters would work, but the interfaces with "real" serial ports are so much easier to deal with than those converters.

It also depends on your software. With HRD, CW keying and rig control can not be on the same COM port for some reason so I had to use a second COM port anyway.

So if you don't do FSK RTTY (AFSK still works through the USB connection) or CW from your computer, the USB connection takes care of everything else.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

N0IU:

I also have the IC-7410 xcvr.   I use the USB SignaLink for the interface to my PC; also use FLdigi software for digital modes (but DO NOT use audio-CW) .

Use the FLdigi & CWget software for machine receiving of the code (not too bad)  and a separate MK-1 Keyer for direct CW keying (transmitting) of my rig.

Use MMTTY for RTTY.

This setup works for me Smiley

Ken-KC8Y

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »

I purchased my US Interface Navigator (now to be under Timewave it seems) for use with my Icom 756 PRO3.

I have a TS-590s which has the USB soundcard interface. I used the Kenwood USB interface for about 6 months but went back to using my Navigator after buying the TS-590s cables. Here is is why:

1. The Navigator Soundcard is better than the Kenwood USB
2. FSK
3.Winkeyer, which is invaluable for CW Contests with N1MM logger
4. Using the Navigator leaves the TS-590s USB port free which I use for the Kenwood ARCP-590s software. Doing this allows me to use HRD and ARCP-590 at the same time when needed.
5. The Navigator has a serial port which sometimes is very handy as I do not own a USB-Serial adapter.

If none of these is important to you, then sell the Navigator. They are popular and easy to sell.

FWIW I have owned the Navigator for 5 years and it has been on many rigs including a Pro III and a Icom 7000 that i still own.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:45:33 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »

While I don't own a 7600, I do have a 7200 that uses same ICOM drivers. It will allow use of HRD & DM780 simultaneously, after some minor hair pulling  Roll Eyes. Make sure you find both the driver download "parts" , after allowing it to load completely ( it fooled me the 1st time, hence the bald spot  Tongue). You should see a com port, in Device manager (pc, not sure abt Mac) such and such USB adaptor, also USB SOUND CODEC in multimedia/sound. You must use both in setting up ANY sound card program, OBTW DM7800 & FLDIGI
 will transmit and receive RTTY, CW and any modes I tried.

Got lots of valuable info from Yahho groups on HRD, FLDIGI & in my case IC 7200 (there's one on 7600)  Wink
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »

Thanks everybody for your input (no pun intended.) I'm not a big digimode user, rare PSK31, RTTY, or JT65 (such a weird mode), but that's perhaps .5% of my air time. I do use HRD 100% of the time. Based upon the suggestions and what I've read elswehere, I'm holding on to my Navigator for the moment.

Took me 2 days to get RS-BA1 to finally work, so if anyone needs some tips on that feel free to ask.
K6ELE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

I have 7600 connected by USB cable to rig & run HRD. No need for external interface unless you need second card as HRD uses PC sound card. Driver from icon web site. Download then connect of to USB & 7600. Turn on 76000 and Codec driver installs. Then start HRD. You may need to set com port first time. On mine it uses COM3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: