Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouKits SSB ~ Info or Opinions?  (Read 5227 times)
KK6GNP

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:56:53 AM »

I know a lot of the QRP folks here only run CW, but I am interested in SSB as well.  I'm looking for alternatives to the KX3 for field, camping, SOTA, etc. in the event I decide to go with 100W base station for my home base instead of the KX3.  I was checking out a couple of the SSB kits over at YouKits, but I can't seem to find much information about the company, or the quality of the build and components. 

The prices sure are right, especially for rigs that I may expose to "abuse" out in the field. I've had some reservations about the KX3 for this use in the desert where I live, because I know dust is going to get under the display, and inside the device.  The fine blow dust here finds it's way into anything you expose to the outdoors.

I know I can alternatively run an FT-817nd, but for the price, the YouKits sure are attractive. 

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »

For just above the price of a Youkits, you can get a good used SGC SG-2020 ADSP that will do 20w and has some good DSP filtering for SSB and is a pretty rugged radio. Current drain on RX is actually less than a FT-817ND, and has a better receiver.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »

For just above the price of a Youkits, you can get a good used SGC SG-2020 ADSP that will do 20w and has some good DSP filtering for SSB and is a pretty rugged radio. Current drain on RX is actually less than a FT-817ND, and has a better receiver.

There is one on E-bay with 13 more hours to go at $345. (Just be aware that he wants $58 to ship it). Seller says it has ADSP.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SG-2020-HF-Ham-Radio-QRP-Transceiver-Made-in-USA-By-SGC-Rare-Find-/281176834237?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item41777200bd

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever to this, just passing along information.......

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »

The other thread discussing the YouKits radio points out some really bad customer service. Who knows, maybe you will get a radio that works out of the box, but what happens if you don't?

I have some kits I haven't put together, a Yaesu FT817ND, and a Ten-Tec Argonaut VI. They aren't cheap, but they work. And I do more SSB than CW.

When I first got into metal detecting decades ago, I got the only detector I could afford: the bottom-of-the-line Relco that required an AM radio to work. It couldn't find a car if you glued it to the engine block. That put me off of the hobby for a while. My point? I really hope that you get a good radio so that the hobby doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Good luck, and 73,

-- Tom KJ4FUU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: