Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering why a thread was deleted....  (Read 45891 times)
K2CMH

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

Can anyone speak to why the thread listed below was deleted?  I was following it and noticed it just disappeared.  I did not see anything that would be considered offensive.

Title: Calling all Elmers willing to help on the SAFE Net

Url: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,92281.msg701428.html#msg701428

It was located in the Elmers forum and seems to have disappeared around 9/18 - 9/19.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »

I don't know why it was deleted, but friankly I am not surprised. I commented on this thread pointing out the serious flaws in the SAFE plan for survival after a catastrophic event. I really is worthless.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

I hope that the moderators are not just deleting stuff they consider 'worthless', if so, it is a very sad day for eHam, which is why I asked this question.  It seems there are a lot of threads that could be considered 'worthless' but are not delete, so why this one, that is what has my curiosity up.   Ordinarily it would not make a difference to me, but this just seems very odd.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

I am not saying that it was deleted because it was worthless, but they seem to have an intolerance for TEOTWAWKI threads in general.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »

I am not saying that it was deleted because it was worthless, but they seem to have an intolerance for TEOTWAWKI threads in general.

Hmmm ...  It may be that the moderators discourage TEOTWAWKI-preparedness threads because they want to keep us unprepared.  They may be trying to curry favor with the post-apocalypse zombies!  "Eat them, not us!"
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

Rumor has it that eHam management sold the topic and contents with a no competition clause to Spielberg's Dream Works Studio for future movie rights.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

I do not know what the thread was about. But they have been better. About 1 year and a half ago, the moderating was out of control, specifically one person. We then caught them moderating a thread that was neither offensive, nor un-informing, and had major egg on their face. I and others emailed the site owner about it. From that point on, they improved dramatically.

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

It would seem that the problem is back, especially since no one has stepped forward to claim/explain why it was deleted.
Unless it was deleted for 'emotional' reasons, it should be pretty straight forward to simply state what policy it violated.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

I am an Admin on two forums, and I would never delete a thread unless it was a very serious rule infringement.

Even so, I would PM the offender and explain why, and if the thread was not offensive, I would lock it and make a post at the end explaining why the topic was not acceptable so all the other members could learn from the member's mistake.

It's very easy to find out who deleted the thread by looking in the SMF logs.  Smiley It keeps track of all that good stuff.

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »

>It's very easy to find out who deleted the thread by looking in the SMF logs.  Smiley It keeps track of all that good stuff.

I'm assuming that only the admins can do that?

>I would lock it and make a post at the end explaining why the topic was not acceptable so all the other members could learn from the member's mistake.

Very good idea, I think as has been mentioned on here before, just deleting a thread does nothing towards further educating users as to what is acceptable and not acceptable, most people learn better by example.

>Even so, I would PM the offender and explain why

I contacted the thread's author just to see if any info was shared with him, he said he contacted eHam and he has yet to hear back from anyone on why it was deleted.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

I'm assuming that only the admins can do that?

Global mods can look at the logs too as far as I remember (I haven't been a Global Mod in a long time). I don't know how they have moderators set up on this forum - I see no moderators listed on any boards. They probably just use Admins to moderate the whole forum. That's like swatting a fly with a wrecking ball.  Cheesy

Very good idea, I think as has been mentioned on here before, just deleting a thread does nothing towards further educating users as to what is acceptable and not acceptable, most people learn better by example.

Yep.

I contacted the thread's author just to see if any info was shared with him, he said he contacted eHam and he has yet to hear back from anyone on why it was deleted.

Most forums usually have hidden boards where the powers that be talk about what went right and wrong on the forum, and they usually have record keeping threads where every action taken is explained (This is not the SMF log I was referring to, it's just an additional way for the other staff to see what happened). If staff are just deleting threads without notice, IMHO, it's a bad sign ...

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 02:49:22 AM »

Or maybe it's a test by the administrators themselves to see how many eHam subscribers actually notice such things and to gauge their reactions.Tricky
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »

One thing I don't see are any forum posting rules. They very possibly could exist, but I just can't find them. Most forums I go to post them in a very prominent place so if they are here on eHam, they are really making you dig for them!

The only thing I could find was in the FAQs where it says, "eHam.net, however, reserves the right to summarily, without warning or notice, delete any posts we deem inappropriate."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:36:54 AM by N0IU » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »

Or maybe it's a test by the administrators themselves to see how many eHam subscribers actually notice such things and to gauge their reactions.Tricky

Good insight!  And that possibility raises another possible suggestion.  I don't want to be an alarmist, but what if it were the zombies themselves?  They might have hacked into the eham administration, to KEEP us from preparing for TEOTWAWKI zombie predations!  They figure if we can't discuss zombie preparedness, we'll be easier for them to pick off after the Zombie Apocalypse! 

Maybe we should try emailing one of the top administrators.  If the reply just says "braiiinns ... braiiinnnss ...  " then we'll know what's up!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 04:29:35 AM »

eHam is clearly up to something! Both QRZ (the main site) and the forums are down AND so is radioreference.com. Thank goodness The Island of Misfit Hams is still up and running!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: