Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering why a thread was deleted....  (Read 45033 times)
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »

The thread was not deleted - if it were, it would not be recoverable. 

The thread was moved from Elmers because it was clearly not an "Elmers" post.  I wasn't sure where to move it so I put it in eHam limbo until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it permanently.  I apologize it took so long inspiring so many conspiracy theories!

Mike N2MG
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »

The thread was moved from Elmers because it was clearly not an "Elmers" post.  I wasn't sure where to move it so I put it in eHam limbo until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it permanently.  I apologize it took so long inspiring so many conspiracy theories!

You still could have (should have) either PMed the OP, or posted a notice telling the members to wait a bit until you placed it in another board.  Undecided

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

The thread was not deleted - if it were, it would not be recoverable. 

Mike N2MG
Hi Mike,

Thank you for that information...  Is it possible in the future to place a note on a thread when that happens?  It would really go a long way to assuage everyone's , (including myself), fear of an over zealous moderator.  Not to say you are one, just that everyone, including me is paranoid. 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »

Perhaps you should not have taken action until you decided what you were going to do with it (or where you were going to put it)?   It's not like the thread was a contagious disease infecting people that needed to be eradicated immediately before others were harmed.  I'm not sure why it took so long to decide, there were really only a couple of choices, Misc or possibly EmComm, other than just deleting it.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »

Perhaps you should not have taken action until you decided what you were going to do with it (or where you were going to put it)?   It's not like the thread was a contagious disease infecting people that needed to be eradicated immediately before others were harmed.  I'm not sure why it took so long to decide, there were really only a couple of choices, Misc or possibly EmComm, other than just deleting it.
That is the problem when this sort of thing happens...  Us paranoid types might think that the moderator's intent was to delete it, and leave oneself an out if caught...  However a short note from the moderator would have solved all of that paranoia...  Hence my, and other's, request.for a brief note letting everyone know what happens to a thread when it evaporates for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:49:31 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »

The interesting thing is that this thread has generated more views and replies than the thread that is the subject of this one!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »

Re: N0IU

Truly amazing isn't it? I often wondered why eHam never had a "Moan and Groan Forum" AKA the Bitch List.

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

The interesting thing is that this thread has generated more views and replies than the thread that is the subject of this one!
Clearly moderator conduct is perceived as an important issue...

Thanks,
Dave
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »

"  What is "limbo"? "

I think its some kinda Chubby Checker dance.

klc
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »

Re: N0IU

Truly amazing isn't it? I often wondered why eHam never had a "Moan and Groan Forum" AKA the Bitch List.

Good one.  And after reading some of the suggestions and criticisms in this thread, perhaps also an "Armchair Moderator Forum" is in order.   Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:48:25 PM by N0YXB » Logged

Vince
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »

Hi Mike,

It would be of great help to eHam subscribers if the Company Reviews Forum had a sticky post by that administrator on the "philosophy" of that Forum. If it's just a rant haven, then say so. If it's for any sense of an objective review based on factual experiences, then give some clear guidelines to that effect.

Many posters state that they're "outraged" when vendors do not respond directly in the Forum. After speaking with representatives of many vendors, few see the current state of the Company Reviews Forum as a venue to which it would be helpful to respond outside of their own customer service resources. In fact, I've only noticed Texas Towers respond but then only to a factual statement by an eHam subscriber. Most vendors, I believe, see it as a no-win situation to respond, given the current lack of ground-rules.

Recently, some heated posts of which I was a part were summarily deleted in the Amplifiers Forum without any contact with one if the parties who let it get out of hand (me!). It is difficult to be personally attacked, even emailed at home due to postings of which I was wholly unaware, without responding eventually somewhat in kind. Posting some clear guidelines for the Forum would go a long way toward maintaining a healthier atmosphere which is certainly in the best interests of the eHam enterprise. And, for keeping the current subscriber base on board.

My two cents, Mike, to you as one eHam administrator in the Forums. Pass it along to whoever makes decisions.

Frank
K4FMH

[/quote]

I am an Admin on two forums, and I would never delete a thread unless it was a very serious rule infringement.

Even so, I would PM the offender and explain why, and if the thread was not offensive, I would lock it and make a post at the end explaining why the topic was not acceptable so all the other members could learn from the member's mistake.

It's very easy to find out who deleted the thread by looking in the SMF logs.  Smiley It keeps track of all that good stuff.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 03:18:55 AM »

My two cents, Mike, to you as one eHam administrator in the Forums. Pass it along to whoever makes decisions.
Frank
K4FMH

I am an Admin on two forums...

I may be wrong here, but while N5INP did say that he was an Admin on two forums, he never said that he was an Admin on eHam.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »

I may be wrong here, but while N5INP did say that he was an Admin on two forums, he never said that he was an Admin on eHam.

Right. I just know a lot about the SMF software.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »

Mike,

Thanks for correcting my misread! I posted this comment as a new thread. Hopefully, eHam administrators will notice.

Frank
K4FMH

Right. I just know a lot about the SMF software.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

I posted this comment as a new thread. Hopefully, eHam administrators will notice.

Frank
K4FMH

Gotta ask...

Why post a comment and HOPE the admins will notice when they say right at the bottom of the page "Contact the site with comments or questions. WEBMASTER@EHAM.NET"?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: