Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-2014 Ford Escape VHF antenna placement. ..  (Read 10866 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »

Looking for anybody that has installed an NMO mount in a '13 or '14 Ford Escape.  Time to get out the 3/4" Greenlee chassis punch.....  Also open to hood seam mount too.
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »

I put a NMO on top of a 2011 Escape with no problems.....been thinking of two more (triband on front, 6m/NMO150 on middle and 10m/Maxrad wideband on back side)...used a 3/4 hole saw.....a counterbore bit would be cleaner and safer but its a bit more expensive. Even with the safety bags, I was able to get the coax down to the rigs with no problem and not in the way in case the air bags blew..

Chris
WB5ITT
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:21:31 AM »

Thanks, Chris but the 2013 and 2014 Escape/KUGA are different body designs.  I traded in my 2007 Tahoe with two holes in the roof.  Great "radio vehicle", but was too fuel hungry and the prospect of a new transfer case forced me to get rid of it,
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »

A hood seam mount will be "good enough" and you won't have to worry about parking garage clearance.
Go for a short 2m/440 spike for it, or the air turbulence whipping a long antenna around at speed will prove very distracting.
KC0NVS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

I just purchased at 2014 Escape.  In your post you indicated a "spike antenna" for 2m/440 Mhz.  I'm not quite sure what type of antenna that is, could you enlighten me. ?

I have an issue now with a low garage entrance.   Thanks & 73's   Tom   KC0NVS
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:21:01 AM »

Hello Tom.  I'm pretty sure that KQ6Q is referring to 1/4 wave whips for either band.

I've since found a photograph of an Escape with a Diamond seam mount located midway on the rear hatch.  It's attractive and out of the way.  My concern is that the antenna will be "shaded" somewhat, but it's a starting point.  I'm also looking into using the front fender as it is easily accessable.  I've spoken to Breedlove regarding a mount of smaller mass than his traditional "built like a tank" fender mounts.  He has pointed me to a number of options already done by his shop.  But he does not make any NMO mounts, my non-negotiable choice of antenna mount.

When the weather breaks here in New England, this project will rise in priority.  Right now, it's just too darn cold to work on it.....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:26:14 AM by K3GM » Logged
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »

I've installed NMO antennas as well as light bars on the 2014 Escape. For myself who has done thousands of NMO mounts it was fairly easy and straight forward.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »

How about some details, VO1GXG on antenna placement on the 2014.  Where's the best place to place the NMO hole?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »

Epilogue:
I'm adding this for those who might do a search on mobile mounting in 2013 and up Ford Escape.  I've successfully installed a radio and dual band antenna on the vehicle, and  results are quite pleasing to the eye.

Radio:  I chose an Icom ID-880 mainly because it features a small detachable face.

Antenna mount: I used the Diamond K412SNMO  It comes with 13 feet of coax and an SMA to UHF adapter to plug into the radio.  The mount features a smaller foot which allows it to be located on a narrow section of sheet metal on the hatch.  I selected a small Diamond black dual band NMO antenna.  It's very light and whippy.

Radio location:  The Escape features a covered storage beneath the passenger seat.  I located the radio there The allow for adequate ventilation, I drilled a number of 1/2" holes in the dimpled section of the storage lid.  I will monitor the heat in that location for a while to make sure that it doesn't get too warm there.  The 13' antenna coax just makes it to that location when routed down the hatch and alongside the spare tire compartment under the storage deck plate.

Control head location:  I chose to mount the control head up near the top of the windshield just to the left of the mirror.  This location get the control head off the dash, and is nestled up by the headliner and mirror.  Again, there's just enough control cable to route across the headliner, down the A pillar gasket, and along the sill plate to the radio.

The Escape features a 1"+ sized covered grommet that is great for getting the power cable directly to the battery.  The opening is just to the left of the brake pedal.  It is covered by a scored piece of insulation.  If you pull the insulation out, you'll see the grommet.  Just slice the grommet with a razor, and the supply line can be fished through there; it comes out right at the battery too.

In summation, what looked like a very difficult installation due to the cockpit design of the Escape turned out to be one of the best finished installations.  The ID-880 D-Star radio has a very small face that makes it ideal to located in the close quarters of the 2013 and 2014 Ford Escape/Kuga.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: