Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-solding my Turbo Tuner from N2VZ. Wire connection help  (Read 3621 times)
NU3U

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

I have a Turbo Tuner originally purchased in 2010 for use with my then Yaesu FT 450.  Now that the FT 450 is gone and has been replaced with an Yaesu FT 857d, I would like to do the mod to set it up for use with the FT 857 and Lil Tarheel antenna.
Upon opening the Turbo Tuner, I discovered some wiring had become un-soldered from the board and would be happy if one of you who uses the same set up (857d/turbo tuner), send me a photo shot(s) of the dip switch settings and wiring configuration as it is set on the Tuner for the 857/897 Yaesu radios.  I CAN EMAIL YOU PHOTOS OF MY INTERNAL BOARD!
My INTERFACE CO-AX Wiring setings as soldered on board are:
Yellow  -to TKEY
Orange -to STRT
Green  -to ND
Red     -to ND
Gray    -appears to be soldered to both ND and +12v
Blue     - * is bare wiring that seems to have disconnected from solder contact
? color - * is bare wiring that seems to have disconnected from solder contact
Purple  - * there are two Purple wires that seem to have disconnected from solder contact
The red box is the dip switches numbered 1-6 with ON & SAB markings on top:  It is somewhat difficult to figure out how to align these switches when referencing Bill N2VZ instructions shown his web page.  Bill does not/did not provide photos!
A photo of your Turbo Tuners Yaesu 857/897 internal board would be really helpful as Bill is no longer available for comment or service. Angry
73, NU3U Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

Yes, Bill, W2VZ was located in Wall, NJ.  Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in September 2012
forced closure of many NJ businesses in that area.

QRZ comments about January 2013 of Turbo Tuner closure of business.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?376147-N2VZ-Enterprises-Turbo-Tuner-out-of-Biz

Web site for Turbo Tuner Enterorises is still up.
http://www.n2vz.com
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:57 AM »

Yes, Bill, W2VZ was located in Wall, NJ.  Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in September 2012
forced closure of many NJ businesses in that area.

QRZ comments about January 2013 of Turbo Tuner closure of business.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?376147-N2VZ-Enterprises-Turbo-Tuner-out-of-Biz

Web site for Turbo Tuner Enterorises is still up.
http://www.n2vz.com

I work at ham radio retailer and we do not sell his product anymore because of non-response from him. Unsure if he is ill or took the money and ran. He is better off having someone with a working Turbo Tuner to disassemble and walk him thru the wiring diagram.
NU3U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:38 AM »

Thanks for your "all hands notice to assist this ham"  Vincenzo.  Other than the internal photos (which I am willing to share: and are based on the Yaesu FT450/950 models).  By now 95%, of us Turbo Tuner owners already know Bill's story prior to the Hurricane.  Since he is no longer available and never helped/responded much in the form of answers prior to the hurricane disaster.  There are many post on his not sending customers back there units at all! Prior to!
My OP includes visual observations pointing out the layout of the confusing red box area vs the manual dip switch instructions in the manual and at the interface internal wiring soldered area (which I have taken photos of).
TURBO TUNER OWNER(S) PLEASE NOTE* When removing the cover (on some tuners) turn turbo tuner upside down,  while keeping constant pressure on the coax cable area itself.  Gently separate (jewelers tool) the bottom cover from the circuit board, once removed, gently separate the board from top (now upside down) paying attention as to limit movement of the interface cable.  There should have been a little more excess wire used in the initial soldering job by manufacturer.  Three of my wires were not sufficiently soldered due to the very shortened length in play or may have come apart when I initially opened this unit.  (I originally purchased in 2010).
This also may explain the number of overshooting bands, freezing, sticking or non responsiveness to commands during the time I did use this tuner.  Again thank you all. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: