Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-857D Transmitting Issue  (Read 6324 times)
N2LWE

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

I recently purchased an FT-857D used from a local ham. I installed the radio in my car but have not been able to get any responses from anyone within the states or internationally. The SWR is good and I'm using an LDG Z100 Auto tuner. The manual does not help at all. Even some of the instructions the manual states push the function key and I do it, then states using the select knob and go to the xyz screen for example. I turn the select knob and there is no such choice. The power is adjusted to 100 watts. I tried turning the mic gain up and down, still nothing. A local ham tried a contact with me on 40m. He was 2 miles away and stated he could hear me but my audio was extremely low. I am using an Opek HVT-600 on a lip mount. I know the antenna was fine because I connected my FT-840 and within minutes made contacts to Hungary, Spain and Italy right from my driveway. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:23:23 PM »

Things to do:

1. Substitute a known good microphone

2. Check your signal on CW with the local ham. You don't have to know CW to get a signal report with the key down (this tests the FT-857 RF amplifier chain).
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

Have you tried sending cw on 40m? Have you used any repeaters? It sounds like a simple case of something not adjusted properly. If often helps to set it up in your house first,then take it out to the car after you get it working. If your friend heard you at least you know it works. I`d go through each menu setting and make sure everything is set properly.b][/b]
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

I know it sounds like a simply stupid question but, did you open the squelch or did you leave it set for 2m/440?

I know that I was scratching my head for a few days until I realized I had the squelch set for fm modes and voila, I could hear the dx......
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »

At a minimum you have an antenna problem. 

1.  The Opek HVT-600 antenna is probably a good 10dB or more down from a dipole.  Your 100W is QRP ERP, at best.
2.  This antenna should not be used with a tuner.  If it's not resonant on its' own, then it will be even less efficient than it normally would be.

No one is hearing you because you're likely radiating little useful energy.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »

there is a second menu in the 857 you have to turn on, and lots of adjustments, like menu 80 which turns the knob behind the AF volume control to either squelch or RF gain.  so read the manual and then ask local friends who have one . You probably have something set wrong
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: