Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Antenna Standoff's  (Read 5180 times)
KD8TZC

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:51 AM »

I'm looking to put up a wire antenna this weekend, and I have to make it hard to see from the street.  One of the things I was thinking of was running it along the eaves of the house on the sides that do not have gutters (so it runs from the peak down).  Is there some sort of standoff that I could slip under the shingles that would allow this?  The house is vinyl sided, but the eaves I believe are aluminum so I would think I would want to ensure that the wire does not touch the aluminum.

I know I have seen articles or posts about this type of install, but I can't seem to find them and I can't seem to locate anything that might do the trick.  I know back in the day my Dad used to have these standoff's that would screw into the siding of the house and run the TV antenna wire through them.  That could work but I would have to mount those on the white eaves.  I would prefer to find something that would just slip under the shingles if there is such a thing.

Thanks,

John - KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »

I'm thinking of using electric fence standoffs that are about 4" long.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »

What about the plastic clips used for putting Christmas lights on the roof?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:29:02 AM »

Christmas light standoff's... now why didn't I think of that.  That's perfect.... small, nearly invisible from the street and cheap.  Thanks!!

Electric fence standoff's would work too I guess, but I would think they would be a bit more visible from the street.  I'm sure they would hold up a bit better though.

Thanks all!

- John - KD8TZC

John - KD8TZC
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »

I just tucked the wire under the corners of the shingles to hold it in place.  Haven't
yet set the roof on fire, but I've never run more than 100W.
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »

I used the Yellow Electric fence stand offs.  About 4".  A place for a screw to hold it to the house.   Two opposite facing hooks to hold the feed line.  I bought a large bag of them off Ebay for $6.  Perhaps Home Depot has them cheaper.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »

Very basically, whatever you use has to be an insulator.  From there is has to be 'inconspicuous'.  And it has to be strong enough to hold the weight of the antenna (wire?).  That leaves you with a huge number of possibilities ranging from the ones already specified to whatever your imagination can come up with.
The part of it that would concern me the most would be how that thingy would attach to/under those shingles.  Nail it on, glue in on, set a brick on them, 'U' clamps under the eave?  Can you think of some other way of attaching them to the house that doesn't get too weird?  The flat metal straps used for gutters, but holding the insulator?
As for the insulators, I've used plastic in several forms, (curtain) rods, flat stuff cut to the right width, even used the 'rings' from a six-pack as insulators once (hey, I was desperate, hic)!
So, howz your imagination??
 - 'Doc
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:54:58 AM »

Use electric fence stand offs. I would be afraid of the Christmas tree light clips and would never use them even in my attic let alone outside.

Even at 100 watts there could be 1,000 volts at some places along the wire. Remember the voltage is a sine wave and with that installation it will be hard to know where the peak of the wave is. Probably not the conventional "high volts at wire ends -- high current at the center" like a text book dipole in free space. Setting the roof on fire may piss off your insurance company -- maybe even void your coverage - and someone else getting away with it doesn't insulate (pun intended) you from troubles. Maybe he got lucky and his voltage peak was at a spot not near anything flammable but yours may be. Also it is likely your soffet is aluminum -- possibly even stamped steel -- and it will detune the antenna. As will wet shingles, snow on the roof, etc. The about 4" the electric fence standofs provide (from a Tractor Supply or similar place) will be a minimum you'll want. They do attach securely, are made for supporting wire, are rugged enough and intended for outdoor use (UV resistant, etc). Paint them if necessary to help hide them.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »

Whatever plastic standoffs you use need to be RF transparent. Easiest way to test for that is to put them in the microwave and see if they get warm. If they do then they're going to have an adverse effect on the antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: