Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: instead of using ferrites to limit the effect of an RFI issue...  (Read 6388 times)
AK4YA

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »

...why not remove the RFI in the first place?

In my case it looks like my equipment is generating RFI that causes it to shut down.  This only seems to affect the upper freqs, from 18MHz and up where if the power out is much more than 10W then my radio makes this extremely weird multifreq beeping noise (much much different than a regular keypress beep) and will eventually shut down.

I have isolated this to the audio/PTT cable from my signalink to the FT-897D.  If I disconnect this cable from either end, the radio doesnt behave like this.  Now,I can only assume the RFI is still there, right? and by disconnecting this cable the RFI is still there, but just can not get into the radio, right?

My tuner is the MFJ-974HB manual balanced tuner with window line to a 102ft doublet.  This audio cable in question isnt routed anywhere near the antenna leads into the tuner.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

looks like the source of RFI is the Yaesu, shut 'er down  Grin

another case of funky grounding and a hot "ground" in the shack is what it sounds like.  do you have a common bonded ground between the equipment in the shack?  you know, the wing nuts, braid, and all that?  might have to run that to a ground rod since you don't have one from coax to the static arrestor to ground rod with a balanced line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: