The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Desk Idea  (Read 3472 times)
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »

Larry, cool desk, I like it, but where are the radios?   Looks more like an NSA data mining sight than a radio station Roll Eyes

Joe, Put your table on castors, that way you can keep in against the wall until you want to change things

Mike
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:53:59 PM by KE0ZU » Logged
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »

We use such tables in the lighthouse banquet/party room every year when we activate it for ILLW. The banquet tables handle radios, power supplies and even large and heavy "go" boxes. They also reliably hold our incredible amounts of food! Don't overthink it.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 04:23:34 AM »

I finished my operating desk rebuild yesterday.

8 feet long, 36 inches deep 5/8 laminated plywood top.
Supported by 3 frames made from 2X4's and also cross braced underneath.
There is a 6 foot X 20 inch wide shelf underneath.

Two shelves sitting on the desk are supported with 1"x1/4" flat stock brackets a friend of mine made.

Shelving is 1" X 12" rough pine I sanded down and stained the same color as the desk top. All surfaces are finished with 3 coats of polyurethane.

I have a 32 inch long X10" shelf above the radio to hold the remote coax switch, volt meter, watt meter, SignaLink USB, Winkeyer and PS.

It is not high tech but it works!

http://www.qsl.net/ve3fmc/webdoc9.html

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:38:51 AM by VE3FMC » Logged
KA9UCN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »

Some very nice benches! I like all of them for different reasons. Scot if you would fill in some of the blanks. Will it be temporary short - 6 month to a year, Temporary long 1 year to 3, until you change QTHs or for a life long usage? How much space and for what is the room it is in used for. Just ham radio or a shared space? Is it something that will be helpful to be able to move it? Do you want something that is hard wired in or a cord. Do you have young children or grand children that will be in the vicinity? Are you considering ventilation if a tube rig or amplifier is in your plans? Do you want or need drawers? Should the drawers have locks? Will this be an operating station only? Or will you plan on doing repairs and tinkering at the same bench?
I know this sounds like a lot of questions but that is why you are asking for thoughts and cements.

I have had several benches of varying types over the years with my favorite being a corner bench made of 3/4 inch plywood running down the 2 walls 8 foot with a 16 inch wide shelf and a 4 foot florescent light running diagonal on the sealing directly over my chair. My second favorite was a WW2 era desk about 5 foot long. A 8 foot piece of plywood on top with a cabinet around 30 inches wide on the end with a door and shelving. This desk was especially nice as it had 2 spots for a chair. I put a computer at each station and used one side for electronic tinkering and the other for the operators station.

The bench of KE0ZU has a very nice power strip arrangement on the back. The casters are a nice touch that makes for easy access to the back. A must if you want to keep you r sanity. A full length grounding bar would be useful in some application.
Lighting and ventilation for comfort should be considering. I see that you are the same age as me. My eyes aren’t what they once was so a magnified light on a goos neck is a must.

It is something to consider that for the cost of the tables you are looking at. You can build a nice  desk to fit your needs. I am a rather utilitarian type. The next desk if the space is available will probably be 2 roll around tool boxes as the base. With a plywood top and shelving. 1, 220 dryer cord and a small distribution center.

Mi wife and I have 2 properties that were both our homes growing up and will be passed to our children. We are working on the one we live in at this time if all works out we have  plans to make an apartment attached to my work shop at the other QTH
Unfortunately at this probably temporary QTH I just use an 8 foot fold up for now.

I wish you the best on this endeavor and keep us posted on what you decide.
Joe KA9UCN
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:48:06 PM by KA9UCN » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: