The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silcon Labs USB drivers with two different brands of rigs  (Read 1493 times)
N6VL

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:33 AM »

I'm soon to be a new Yasesu FTDX3000 owner.

I've noticed the 3000 uses Silicon Labs drivers for the USB port for both the CAT comm port and for the internal sound card. But I already have an IC-7300 which uses the same Silicon Labs device. I initially installed the Icom supplied drivers last year, but soon upgraded to the drivers downloaded from Silicon Labs directly. This has worked okay on both Windows 7 and 10 boxes.

I understand Yaesu also has drivers for download. Is using the Yaesu supplied drivers going to break my Icom setup. I won't be connecting both rigs at the same time. But I want to be able to switch the USB cable between rigs during the evaluation period for my new 3000.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

de Steve N6VL
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »

My experience is that you want to use the "generic" Windows drivers for CAT (that would be USBSER) and Sound (generic USB Sound class).

You do not need to download or install any special drivers.

Just a few years ago - say in the Windows XP days, or even very early Windows 7 days - things were very different and you had to download USB drivers. But today things are a little more rational and the generic Windows drivers will be as good or better than the manufacturers drivers. In several cases the USB peripheral manufacturer no longer does updates of their drivers, they have just mainstreamed everything to the generic drivers for Windows 7/Windows 10.

Windows will know that the FTDX3000 and IC7300 are two different rigs, if you unplug one and plug in the other instead (even using the same PC USB Hole and cable) they will show up as two different COM ports.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »

I took my windows 10 laptop in after installing WSJT-x and hooked it to my 7300 and the generic USB drivers seemed to work fine for audio and rig control over the USB cable.  My normal computer in the shack  is a windows 7 desktop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: