The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FTDX 3000 or ICOM 7300  (Read 4391 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »

I have found the minimum receiver noise level of the IC-7300 to be around -131 dBm on 40 meters and -132 dBm on 20 meters. Noise level out of the dipole is about -115 dBm on a good day. The receiver is more than quiet enough.

I suggest those encountering objectionable  noise and adjacent signal levels on receive learn how to set the filters and RF gain control.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »

Cheesy Your frigging funny! the noise we are talking about is generated in the radio's front end itself, not on the antenna. If you take the radio off line without any antenna connected it has noise, what ever you want to call it, internal white noise, hiss the radio has its own internal noise even when used with headphones and allot of entry Icom radio's have the same issues just like the older Yaesu did but that was there audio amp's in the older radio's, even the crowned K3 has the same thing which when you place an antenna back onto the rig it gets even worse.
Maybe me think there is allot more high frequency deaf hams out there that just don't hear that well into the higher audio spectrum and I mean right around the 10K mark.
BTW the current discounts on the 3000 bring the differences between the Icom to Yaesu around $400 not $900 plus the used market on the 3K is almost a wash, I have seen the 3K's go used for around $1400.
Ask your buddies in  EU about the 7300 handling any big signals on its input side, once that DAC gets swamped even the IP+ button doesn't bring it back. I have a ham friend who lives on the south shore of LI 1.5 miles away from a local AM station that transmits on 1500Khz, he has a 160 meter dipole up and cannot use that radio on that band at all yet has a 20 year old FT1000MP which has zero issues on that band.
As to K6AER those of us who have used the radio have used all the controls which should make these differences including adjusting the attenuator, RF gain controls plus the IP+, you guys on the west coast thing us east coast guys were born yesterday.
Again its a great $1300 radio, I never said its not but depending on were you live and how many other hams that may live close to you it may not be the best cup of tea for your station and comparing the 7300 to the Yaesu 857 which was mostly a mobile radio designed to give you many bands in one little box like Icoms 706 well that type of radio is like having 10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound box, its just way too much and not designed to be particularly good at anything. The 7300 from looking at the low end of the price spectrum is a shinning star but its not there IC7851 in a smaller box for $1300 nor is it better than the FTDX3000 IMHO but from what seems to sell radio's today it has a very pretty fish finder display which seems to what folks want in a radio today. I must be old school I want a better front end in my radio's to handle more than a rag chew operation.
VK4XJB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »

BTW the current discounts on the 3000 bring the differences between the Icom to Yaesu around $400 not $900 plus the used market on the 3K is almost a wash, I have seen the 3K's go used for around $1400.

Here a 3000 is $2,500 to $2,550 and a 7300 $1,600. For us that is min $900 difference between the 2 radios.

When I have used a ft-857d for over a decade and a ft-102 for over 2 decades, why wouldn't I compare the 7300 to what it replaced?
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »

Its a shame there is soo much difference in your country, must be something with who does importation of Yaesu in your country maybe. As far as comparing the FT102 or the FT857, the first radio was designed back in the 70ies, very good for its time but its design is over 30 years old, the other radio is designed as a multi band mobile radio that does allot but nothing real well, its a very simple design so if you are comparing the 7300 to those of old radio's its going to be many steps above either rig. This post is about comparing the FTDX3000 and the IC7300 so why are you trying to hijack the thread into comparing it to some old dinosaurs.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 02:21:28 AM »

..............Ask your buddies in  EU..........

Have seen relatively large numbers for sale on the s/h market here.

Possibly a couple of things at play.......

The 7300 seems over-hyped and you get the usual sheep that follow the latest hype/fashion......."fashions fade, style endures."

You also have the big kids (adults with mental age of about 8-12) attracted by the "Ninetendo" screen.......then like most kids they get bored quickly with their latest new toy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:32:46 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »

But that is a typical ham thing these days.  They rush to buy radios on  hearsay, voodoo, rumors and what their friends tell them is good. They dont look at the specifications  that defines performance which is so easy to understand and does not tell lies!

I am astonished how much  ignorant lies hams religiously repeat despite what the engineering measurements is telling them. You would think we buying 100 cb radios the lack of technical research  and reasoning is so absent!

..............Ask your buddies in  EU..........

Have seen relatively large numbers for sale on the s/h market here.

Possibly a couple of things at play.......

The 7300 seems over-hyped and you get the usual sheep that follow the latest hype/fashion......."fashions fade, style endures."

You also have the big kids (adults with mental age of about 8-12) attracted by the "Ninetendo" screen.......then like most kids they get bored quickly with their latest new toy.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »

Its part of the problem but what I have found from different periods of my life being involved with amateur radio sales back in the seventies or working for a manufacturer in the nineties that most hams do not understand the total scope of what they may see in lab numbers printed in QST reviews, they just don't plus then you have some technical blurbs of what they think are the key measurements but they just don't go over other ones that are key if you have another ham down the street from you. Yes they brush away the 2nd order IMD numbers cause most radio's suck in this area. I could not agree more with Zenki that hams buy what there biddies buy instead or doing the research into the products themselves, they are almost afraid of going against the grain.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: