Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many radios does it take for a person to have too many?  (Read 30354 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »

I have a buddy who wants to get his amateur radio license.  He doesn't have any radio gear at the moment except your typical AM/FM home stereos.  When he asked me about buying a radio, he said "How many radios do hams usually have?"  I hadn't really thought about it before.  I figure, most active hams are going to have at least one amateur transceiver (obviously) but that seems too easy.  Most hams I know have at least an HT and a base station type rig or a mobile, some are into QRP or were SWLs before or like military radios and so and pretty soon I arrived at a guess: and average of 6 radios capable of amateur band operation per active radio amateur.

I have 6, but I didn't choose this number arbitrarily.  What do you think, and more importantly, what is your radio count?  I guess I could include nice receivers used for amateur operation as well.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

Get to the point that you are on the verge of being broke and want more..... That is too many. Hi hi

Started with a mobile, FT857D and dual band MFJ mag mount antenna. Well, I then wanted HF in the mobile, so I bought a Lil Tarheel II screwdriver antenna and mount. The mag mount wasn't as good I had liked, so I purchased a Larsen dual band NMO mount antenna. Things were good. It got cold out and the XYL didn't appreciate the diesel running just to keep ME warm. I now needed a shack. I found a beautiful IC-746Pro, then needed a tuner and bought a MFJ Versa tuner, but the old desk, if you call it that, was running out of space, quickly.  Bring in the XYL. The shack looked like a college dorm corner study and needed a redo. New couch, new desk with matching file cabinet, curtains, paint, trim, and two weekends with some hefty credit charges later...... Deep breath and hey, I found a dedicated dual band for the shack. Work HF and monitor local nets at the same time. Cool. Oops, the used power supply picked up at a hamfest crapped the bed, time for a new one. This summer came across a nice IC7000. Needed? No, but everyone needs a bugout radio right? RIGHT? Oh no, moved too fast, came across a beautiful FT2000 200 watt. Sold the 7000 and put the 746 in the closet just in case. What? Look at that K3.

But I digress........ You NEVER have too many pieces of equipment.

Just saying.......

Joe / AJ3O
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »

In my case, it's having a radio for every occasion.

1 full coverage +V/U all mode QRP rig
1 full HF coverage 20w SSB/CW radio
1 full coverage +V/U 100w all mode mobile rig
1 full coverage +V/U 100w base rig
1 HF+6 100w SDR
1 HF coverage 100w base rig

A few talkies.
Several wideband all mode receivers.

I'm good for now.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

It fluctuates, if you buy and sell. I've had as many as 6 HTs but have now pared that down to 1. I've had 4 mobiles but now down to 2 (one in the truck and one in the car).

I have 3 HF radios, but I might get rid of one soon just because I haven't used it since I upgraded my main station at home. Just have to decide which one.
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

HAve 3 HF rigs in main station shack, one HF rig in second station, one HF mobile, one dual band mobile uhf/vhf, and one dual band HT, plus one HF rcvr, and a portable HF/air/am/fm rcvr...prolly 2 many...but whoever has most toys when you die, wins, right!!??
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

I think there are a lot of factors on this.

What class license you have?
How much space do you have?
Are you married? (seriously)
Do you like collecting?
What modes do you like to operate?
Are you an accessories nut?
How many bands do you plan on using regularly?
Etc.

Nowadays, it is very possible to have one radio that do all of these things or close to it. FlexRadio comes to mind. And with a laptop and remote control you can even go mobile with your Flex (sort of).

However, I think most hams have multiple radios because mostly they want to mix it up and not be bored.

I do not even want to say say how many radios I have. It's a lot. However I am a collector and restoration junkie. So I have radios I have yet to actually operate, even though they are fully functional and pristine.

I choose what radio I operate based on the operational requirement at the time. If I am DX'ing I'll either use the FlexRadio or my Yaesu FT-9000 (a new toy). If I am operating HF AM I may use Flex or the old Collins KWS-1 or my Hallicrafters HT-37. For 2m if I'm doing the repeater thing I tend to use my FT-736 or Echolink. However, 2m SSB & simplex I use my old FT-221R. Again for AM on 2m I use a Clegg Zeus. So for me I like having choices and use the radio I feel works best or is the most fun to operate for a given operational need. So I have numerous radios.

I would bet most Hams have four radios. One in the house for HF, another for VHF/UHF and another two for mobile communications. Maybe add a handy-talkie to make five.

Having too many is a factor of money and wife, and not always in that order. Yup ... I'm not married Smiley

John, W2WDX
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:46:52 PM by W2WDX » Logged

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

I think there are a lot of factors on this.

Are you married? (seriously)

Being Married or Not can be the biggest factor in buying radios. As a long term husband and Ham op I have learned never to tell the wife how much a radio costs.  If you do tell the truth it may limit how many radios you have....

Stan K9IUQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »

Depends on what kind of person you are. If your a collector or just love having lots of gear then the sky or the wife is the limit Smiley

If your going to be a DXer then your best option is to get one very good expensive rig and a regular 2m rig.  Better to have one $4000 HF rig that has loads of tools to help with QRN and QRM then to have 5x $800 rigs that are all pretty much the same in performance.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:06 AM »

What do you think, and more importantly, what is your radio count?

I think that no one should judge how many radios they should have based on what other people have.

Why is it so important that you know how many radios I have? It is nobody's business what my "radio count" is.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »

One more than the ones you use.
N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »

How many is too many?  That's a very easy question to answer: "Just one more".
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

When I first got on 10GHz I built a bunch of spare rigs to lend to my friends!

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »

that's like the question asked of VP Dick Cheney, about how many shotguns is enough.

there are only flip answers.

I will save the rest of the server space and not give them Wink
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »

What do you think, and more importantly, what is your radio count?

I think that no one should judge how many radios they should have based on what other people have.

Why is it so important that you know how many radios I have? It is nobody's business what my "radio count" is.

It's not my "business" but I want to know what an average count is.  If you don't feel comfortable posting your number then don't, but I don't see how your response is helpful to my buddy or the community at large.  If I asked you in a personal message, I could see a justification in your chagrin but as you volunteered to come here and moan about the question I don't see the point!  Good luck!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

When I first got on 10GHz I built a bunch of spare rigs to lend to my friends!

How far do you generally get on 10 GHz?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: