Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disneyland Resort not ham friendly...  (Read 25723 times)
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »

I've taken the radio into the park before with no issues and I'm beginning to think they've tightened up on security.  Ever since the San Diego blackout in 2011, I've carried a small LED flashlight in a pouch on my belt.  This was the first time I've ever been asked about it.

I wonder what happened that made them so paranoid?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:18:33 PM by K6CPO » Logged
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »

there is a lot of paranoid going around.  all places, all venues  little of which concerns me.

wife and I are flying to Chicago in a short while for a grandson's wedding, and I don't expect the resident house-sitter to have any issues.

you want paranoid, try taking a flashlight and multibander past TSA.  and a water bottle.  it takes me three Ziplocs to empty all my pockets, same as going to the courthouse for jury duty.  we even got TWO "TSA has inspected your luggage" slips in our bag when going on our honeymoon to Hawaii.  and that's before the real paranoia set in.

it is what it is.  sign of the times.  oh, and I expect real jolly good times at the gate if the government shuts down; arrive 4 hours before your flight, and all that.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

>> ... try taking a flashlight and multibander past TSA ...

Better yet - if you want a cavity search guaranteed, try to get a rolled-up tape measure beam in carry-on ...

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 04:12:25 AM »

I've taken the radio into the park before with no issues and I'm beginning to think they've tightened up on security....I wonder what happened that made them so paranoid?

I think you're right; I recall a small piece in "World Radio" or something like that, maybe 15-20 years ago, about the then-new ham repeater at Disney (land/world) and how hams were welcome.  I suppose it's no surprise that their policy has changed. 
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »

Apparently the fence around the park keeps RF from entering and leaving.   You can chatter away in the parking lot but not on the other side of the fence.  This is what happens when ignorant bureaucrats get carried away with banning things.  I'd mail the pass renewal application, torn up, back to the highest ranking slug in the  management chain with the comment that there is a ham radio facility IN the park but  can't use it because of someone's stupid rule.   How wmany current license holders are there worldwide, I'll bet the management would be happy to hear how many potential happy Disney campers they may NOT get as customers. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »

Some have questioned why the OP wants to take an HT into Disney Land. 

If you've ever taken your family to such a place and for any number of reasons, can't stand, ride or hike miles, then a diversion like yakking on the radio would be a great time waster. Working he locals can be like a mini-DXpedition for you. 

As for not being able to take the HT in the park, well that's the rule.  You can question rules but the only people you'll get to question are summer time hires who really don't know anything and probably can't even spell HT, let alone know what one is.

As the country song goes, "You got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em."  Anything else becomes an embarrassment for your family and for you, makes a bad day worse.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »

Apparently the fence around the park keeps RF from entering and leaving.   You can chatter away in the parking lot but not on the other side of the fence.  This is what happens when ignorant bureaucrats get carried away with banning things

Right. I'd organize a Dinsneyland Parking Lot QSO party right outside the fence and get as many hams as possible to initiate contacts in the parking lot. Make sure the management knows. Then when the party is over ask them how many rides went berserk during the party. If any did (of course it won't happen because hams are surely transmitting all around the park anyway all the time) - it would be the fault of the ride's electronics being suseptable to interference, not the legal operation of amateur radio gear.

Quote from:  link=topic=92443.msg703706#msg703706 date=1380556698
... the only people you'll get to question are summer time hires ...

Not true. You can contact the Disney corporation and send letters and make phone calls. It may make no difference but there sure are more ways to get to management.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

Right. I'd organize a Dinsneyland Parking Lot QSO party right outside the fence and get as many hams as possible to initiate contacts in the parking lot. Make sure the management knows. Then when the party is over ask them how many rides went berserk during the party. If any did (of course it won't happen because hams are surely transmitting all around the park anyway all the time) - it would be the fault of the ride's electronics being suseptable to interference, not the legal operation of amateur radio gear.

Be cautious with this proposal.  It is quite possible that Disney does not allow such use of its parking lot without express permission, and this could cause a trespassing situation.  Many parking lots are designated for use of patrons for the sole purpose of parking their vehicles while patronizing the facilities.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »

I just called Disneyland-Anaheim guest services. Delightful music on hold (Woody Guthrie ... songs from Cinderella ... )

I asked the agent (er, "cast member") for permission to bring my "amateur radio handheld radio" with me on Thursday, "to communicate with
others at the park, and use the Mickey Mouse repeater."

Guess what my answer was?

C'mon, GUESS?

Totally approved, no problem whatsoever.

Which takes me to one of my earlier posts: The original poster did something to draw attention to himself. We already know
he was in a bad mood when he left the house, and couldn't find anything positive to say about his brief stay at the Magic Kingdom.

SO ... What I originally THOUGHT - but didn't write - is probably 100 per cent accurate: Dude with a 'tude didn't get his way,
and wants to cry about it and try to gain sympathy from the masses. Probably made a scene, and was embarrassed in front of his
significant other.

AGAIN, I JUST OBTAINED DISNEYLAND'S OK FROM GUEST SERVICES TO BRING AND USE AN AMATEUR RADIO ONTO THE PREMISES.

And I'll wager that this thread will NOT die after hearing this first-hand account of what reality is ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:48:10 AM by K6LCS » Logged

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »

I just called Disneyland-Anaheim guest services. Delightful music on hold (Woody Guthrie ... songs from Cinderella ... )

I asked the agent (er, "cast member") for permission to bring my "amateur radio handheld radio" with me on Thursday, "to communicate with

C'mon, GUESS?

I would commend you for being proactive and asking questions. Good job and a very satisfying response from Disney.

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »

C'mon, GUESS?

Which takes me to one of my earlier posts: The original poster did something to draw attention to himself. We already know
he was in a bad mood when he left the house, and couldn't find anything positive to say about his brief stay at the Magic Kingdom.

SO ... What I originally THOUGHT - but didn't write - is probably 100 per cent accurate: Dude with e 'tude didn't get his way,
and wants to cry about it and try to gain sympathy from the masses. Probably made a scene, and was embarrassed in front of his
significant other.

AGAIN, I JUST OBTAINED DISNEYLAND'S OK FROM GUEST SERVICES TO BRING AND USE AN AMATEUR RADIO ONTO THE PREMISES.

And I'll wager that this thread will NOT die after hearing this first-hand account of what reality is ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS

The only thing I did to draw attention to myself was walk through the bag check with the HT on my belt.  That's all.  I didn't cop an attitude until I was confronted by an officious lead cast member.  And the cast member at guest services reaffirmed the prohibition.  

I suggest you follow up on your phone call and actually try to take your radio into the park.  And don't hide it when you go through the bag check.  Wear it in plain sight just like I did and then we'll see what their policy really is.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:53:31 AM by K6CPO » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »

I have taken my HT with me into Disneyland in the past. And I'll have no problems being able to
communicate with cast members in the future. Their policy is as of this date to allow amateur radios
in the park. SOMETHING that YOU did caused them to react to YOU. YOU were not able to communicate
with them and just admitted yourself that you copped an attitude ...

Resulting from my call this morning, I have a supervisor's name and direct phone line to contact if I
have any ham-radio-related problems while visiting the park.

Will you be posting the truth about their policy in all the forums you have this the past few days, or
should I go ahead and do it for you? I mean, responsible hams do not want to be responsible for
disseminating bad information ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »

Clint,

Not only did he admit to copping an attitude in a posting just about 40 minutes ago, he said this in his original post:

Thanks to my Disney addicted wife, I was on the verge of Disney burnout and we had already agreed that we weren't renewing my annual pass next year

I mentioned this early on, but the symptoms from this poster seem to indicate an predisposition to unhappiness with The Magic Kingdom.  Such a pre-existing chronic condition has a very high likelihood of becoming acute at just the exact moment that the patient is encountering the most critical bottleneck in the experience - when personnel are in closest proximity to the afflicted.

Many subsequent postings from the afflicted poster deny any affliction at all, even after exposing all of us to the very apparent list of symptoms and maladies that point to the same disease.  I call it denial, I suspect many others will also see it that way.

To K6CPO:

I realize you are unwilling to see what other have seen, even when what is seen comes directly from you, but please forgive us for exposing your trite insecurities over perceived slights from a hornet's nest that you quite apparently were more than willing to slap around.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

I have taken my HT with me into Disneyland in the past. And I'll have no problems being able to
communicate with cast members in the future. Their policy is as of this date to allow amateur radios
in the park. SOMETHING that YOU did caused them to react to YOU. YOU were not able to communicate
with them and just admitted yourself that you copped an attitude ...

Resulting from my call this morning, I have a supervisor's name and direct phone line to contact if I
have any ham-radio-related problems while visiting the park.

Will you be posting the truth about their policy in all the forums you have this the past few days, or
should I go ahead and do it for you? I mean, responsible hams do not want to be responsible for
disseminating bad information ...

Clint Bradford K6LCS

I copped an attitude AFTER I got attitude from a cast member...

I have emailed Disneyland guest services detailing my experience and mentioned your phone call to them as well.  We'll see what their reply is...

I also have an e-mail out to the President of D.E.A.R.S., the Disney Emergency Amateur Radio Service at Walt Disney World in Florida.  (We're headed there in November.)  My wife has e-mailed Walt Disney World guest services about their policy.  The WDW website is even less clear about what's prohibited than Disneyland's.

Part of my intention in posting this in as many places as I did was to give a warning to other hams that they might not be able to take their radios into the park.  All I got in return was a bunch of crap, especially from other hams.  Next time I encounter an illogical policy regarding amateur radio, I'll just keep my mouth shut and let the rest of you find out for yourselves.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:24:45 AM by K6CPO » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »

>> ... I copped an attitude AFTER I got attitude from a cast member...

Then this IS a "lack of maturity" problem.

"What we've got here is [a] failure to communicate."

Need a list of the other messageboards you posted your misleading post
this past week?

Clint Bradford

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: