Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wake Island Propagation Chart  (Read 8366 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »

Just ran the prediction to my QTH, using their prop page here:

http://www.wake2013.org/pages/propagation.html

The results were MUCH WORSE that what I got, using VOACAP.
Shows my chances as crappy, to say the least.

I am still not too worried. I can usually work Guam without much trouble,
and its a longer haul, about 1200 miles, to Guam than Wake, from Florida.  Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:59:18 AM by AF3Y » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »

VOACAP Online shows much better probability than the chart generated on the Wake DX-pedition site. But even with the more "conservative" prediction on the Wake DX-pedition site, this will be very workable from the West Coast.

But I remember ZL9HR and how the actual propagation was very different than what had been predicted - and some of this had to do with the hills at their site - so - take the predictions with a grain of salt.

Yesterday I worked an IK2 station with 5 watts and a vertical dipole while portable - on 12M. I thought 12 and 10 were already "long gone" - but you never know.

Looking forward to the last band fills - 160, 80 and 30M, and to help out as a pilot. Stan, KH6CG will be in the "cat birds seat" pilot wise. I wouldn't be too surprised if he will be able to work them on 40 and 30M all but three hours out of the day - at least that's what VOACAP Online shows. He will have 24x7 propagation there on multiple bands  Grin
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »

Since none of the antenna choices matched my single OCD strung up around 35 feet, I ran two others. Same resulting graph pattern, different strengths.

Since I much prefer cw, I will be getting up early to try 40 meters. Maybe 30. I pray it will be CW on 40.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »

I generally use two different sources for a prediction. One source are the PDF charts from the ARRL Antenna Book and the other is HamCap. HamCap is usually pretty accurate but what I love about the PDF charts is how they show at a glance those hours in which my zone has propagation and Zones 15 and 25 do not, meaning an easy, clean shot with no Europeans and/or no JAs on each of the contest bands (you interpolate for the WARC bands). I generally find that to be a good one-two punch.

I don't ever count on the predictions for actual signal strengths since there is so much variable in the circuit above and beyond the power, general antenna types and heights that you have to plug in to HamCap initially. What I'm looking for are the best forecast hours on each band and whether or not I should be looking long path for certain polar locations.

In the case of Wake, it'll be a cakewalk for anybody in eastern North America to make at least a couple of Qs from 15 to 40 without much effort. Predicted strengths are very high and the openings long, as you'd expect. The only significant challenge will be getting through the pileups, which are bound to be insane. The trick to low blood pressure is to find the band/hour combination that potentially offers your zone the strongest propagation while at the same time has no or very little propagation to the zones with the most troublemakers.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

The best method I use is,

Turn on rig,

Tune to frequency,

Listen and keep listening till you hear them,

It's simple

The only thing I would look at is the charts in clublog that shows when others have worked a station and on what band,

No point sitting on the couch lookin at TV thinking well the PC told me I'd have no chance and the DX is actually 599++++

Trevor
EI2GLB
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »

Yesterday I worked an IK2 station with 5 watts and a vertical dipole while portable - on 12M. I thought 12 and 10 were already "long gone" - but you never know.

12 Was wide open and LOUD yesterday afternoon. I worked an Asiatic Russian station (zone 18). He was solid 599 +20!

73, Gene AF3Y
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

The best method I use is,

Turn on rig,

Tune to frequency,

Listen and keep listening till you hear them,

It's simple

The only thing I would look at is the charts in clublog that shows when others have worked a station and on what band,

No point sitting on the couch lookin at TV thinking well the PC told me I'd have no chance and the DX is actually 599++++

Trevor
EI2GLB

Hi,

They are all "simple" if you do not need to get through the NA, and/or EU pile-up walls to get to them.  Grin

John

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »

I agree.  Prop won't be the problem....  Should be fun!

I generally use two different sources for a prediction. One source are the PDF charts from the ARRL Antenna Book and the other is HamCap. HamCap is usually pretty accurate but what I love about the PDF charts is how they show at a glance those hours in which my zone has propagation and Zones 15 and 25 do not, meaning an easy, clean shot with no Europeans and/or no JAs on each of the contest bands (you interpolate for the WARC bands). I generally find that to be a good one-two punch.

I don't ever count on the predictions for actual signal strengths since there is so much variable in the circuit above and beyond the power, general antenna types and heights that you have to plug in to HamCap initially. What I'm looking for are the best forecast hours on each band and whether or not I should be looking long path for certain polar locations.

In the case of Wake, it'll be a cakewalk for anybody in eastern North America to make at least a couple of Qs from 15 to 40 without much effort. Predicted strengths are very high and the openings long, as you'd expect. The only significant challenge will be getting through the pileups, which are bound to be insane. The trick to low blood pressure is to find the band/hour combination that potentially offers your zone the strongest propagation while at the same time has no or very little propagation to the zones with the most troublemakers.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

IMHO it's the dxpeditioner who needs to study the prop. charts Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

Ummmmm...dude, you won't even need an antenna for this one. Load up a lightbulb and you'll be able to work 'em on 9 bands from where you live!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »

Ummmmm...dude, you won't even need an antenna for this one. Load up a lightbulb and you'll be able to work 'em on 9 bands from where you live!

I have my 2M Vertical ready for them Grin
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »

That's kinda like the day I worked 4U1UN on 8 bands with low power and a short wire, since they were only a few miles line of sight from me. One or two calls, 10 through 80, on a day with ZERO propagation anywhere.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: