Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does calling CQ DX really work?  (Read 12294 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »

There's a nice discussion of calling "CQ DX" in W9KNI's book, _The complete DXer_.  If you're interested in DX, it's a GREAT read.  And if you don't want to spend a lot of money, older editions of it are often for sale used at hamfests. 

I have the book but it's been many years since I read it.  I'll re-read that chapter.  Thanks!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »

Almost universal rule among experienced DXers on the core bands: Let DX call CQ DX.

What's that even mean?  Everybody from a given country is DX to somebody in another country.  Do you mean to say, only answer CQDX and never call it?  How would that even work?  Does this advice only apply to Americans?

Applies to most Americans and perhaps Canadians. I have no problem with a station in North Dakota or such handing out rare Qs.

There are so many of us and we need to be good citizens of the international hobby.  That's especially true on a band like 60 where there is only one international channel. Or 75 when the DX window was 10 KHz wide. Even on 20 SSB there are only a few standard DX frequencies for DXpeditions.

Another problem with calling CQ DX... it's so damn inefficient if your goal is working new countries. Like North Korea is really going to reply to my CQ.   
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

Almost universal rule among experienced DXers on the core bands: Let DX call CQ DX.

What's that even mean?  Everybody from a given country is DX to somebody in another country.  Do you mean to say, only answer CQDX and never call it?  How would that even work?  Does this advice only apply to Americans?

Applies to most Americans and perhaps Canadians. I have no problem with a station in North Dakota or such handing out rare Qs.

There are so many of us and we need to be good citizens of the international hobby.  That's especially true on a band like 60 where there is only one international channel. Or 75 when the DX window was 10 KHz wide. Even on 20 SSB there are only a few standard DX frequencies for DXpeditions.

Another problem with calling CQ DX... it's so damn inefficient if your goal is working new countries. Like North Korea is really going to reply to my CQ.   

This is just silly.  People will rightly feel free to call CQDX if they want a DX contact, there really isn't any other way to do it.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »

For me, I've used CQ DX when I was in the mood to talk with a station outside of the United States and have had some nice surprises.  I'm not a collector of awards - I just enjoy the conversations, so this works form my purposes.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

Its actually a test to see if U.S. hams understand plain english (they usually don't). Many times I am hearing weak stations others are not hearing.  If you call CQ the wrong people answer.   Nothing wrong with CQDX, do it all of the time.. and yes it works..  with 100 watts, and QRP...  Fred
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

It worked really well this weekend--even though I have around 200 countries on 12 meters, I had yet to work Japan. Tuning around got me an easy contact with Saipan, but there were no Japanese stations I could work.   Calling CQ when the band was open got me a couple of contacts with Japan!  Grin

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:25:00 PM by W1VT » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: