Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS130 won't tx on 20m  (Read 12283 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

I tried to make a QSO with a special event station today on 20m and couldn't. He was saying "there's a station there, but you're too weak". I was putting out 50w to my RF meter, so that's not the problem. I also noticed that even strong stations like the one I tried to QSO don't move the S meter on 20m. I can tx/rx just fine on 40 and 75 meters and the S meter works normally on those, so the problem is limited to 20m. I suspect the two issues are linked. The RF gain is turned all the way to the right (is this "up" or "down"?) so that's not the issue. My antenna is tuned correctly. Any ideas?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »

Kenwood TS-130 Service Manual
http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/TS130_serv.pdf

You have already defined the problem area, 20 meter band.
Guesses as to the root cause, corrosion on manual or relay switching, or
component failure requires visual inspection and measurements with electronics test instruments.

SO get out the Service Manual and do the troubleshooting bench work, OR
farm out to a Kenwood qualified technician.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/26

w9gb
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:14:12 PM by W9GB » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »

Fortunately the switching of the bands is not via relays. So checking the bandswitch is easier. Even though there is a separate position for 10 MHz this is going through the same filter. Check out Receive on that to see if this is also bad.
It does not look like the antenna relay. This would be all or nothing.
Could there be an antenna problem?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »

I dug up an old QRZ forum discussion about old Kenwoods, and my symptoms seem to match that of a filter board relay gone bad. When the relay goes bad, it only affects 20 meters and up. I emailed K4EAA, the hybrid Kenwood fixer, about fixing this. If anybody is in the Sacramento or SF Bay areas and can fix this, email me at my QRZ address.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »

Unfortunately my schematic does not show any relay on the filter board.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »

I emailed K4EAA, the hybrid Kenwood fixer, about fixing this. If anybody is in the Sacramento or SF Bay areas and can fix this, email me at my QRZ address.
Bryan -

Ken, K4EAA is no longing performing service, due to health issues.
You can contact Cliff Holland, KA5IPF at Avvid -- what the current turnaround time is.
==
Since you are in northern California,
Why are you not talking to Kenwood restorer Jim Showker, KE7OAY in Eugene, OR (475 miles north) ?
http://www.hybridrestore.com

Jim Showker, KE7OAY
2186 City View Street
Eugene, Oregon 97405
jim@hybridrestore.com
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:25:14 PM by W9GB » Logged
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »

I emailed K4EAA, the hybrid Kenwood fixer, about fixing this. If anybody is in the Sacramento or SF Bay areas and can fix this, email me at my QRZ address.
Bryan -

Ken, K4EAA is no longing performing service, due to health issues.
You can contact Cliff Holland, KA5IPF at Avvid -- what the current turnaround time is.
==
Since you are in northern California,
Why are you not talking to Kenwood restorer Jim Showker, KE7OAY in Eugene, OR (475 miles north) ?
http://www.hybridrestore.com

Jim Showker, KE7OAY
2186 City View Street
Eugene, Oregon 97405
jim@hybridrestore.com

I did not know any of this. Thank you. I did further tests and I am getting 40w into a dummy load on 20m, and about 30-35w into the antenna. I am measuring with a Heathkit HM102. The S meter still works on 20m, but isn't as sensitive as on 40 or 75. I figure that the peculiarities of propagation is why I'm not getting heard. I had a couple QSO's on 40 earlier in the day and was heard fine. I figure that the filter relay will blow...eventually. I don't see it being an immediate problem, though.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »

It doesn't have a filter relay, it uses a bandswitch.

Clif
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »

Fortunately the switching of the bands is not via relays. So checking the bandswitch is easier. ...
Thanks for supporting me, perhaps you can convince  Grin
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »

Fortunately the switching of the bands is not via relays. So checking the bandswitch is easier. ...

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Clif
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

Dunno what that big honkin' Omron LZN403 is on the filter board (the board hidden behind the finals enclosure, connected by 12 cables to the back of the bandswitch), then. I guess I'll just call it RL1, like on the schematic.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »

That's the antenna relay, P/N S51-4401-05. In so far my statement of no relay on the board was wrong. I should have checked the PCB layout, sorry for that.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:01:58 AM »

Dunno what that big honkin' Omron LZN403 is on the filter board (the board hidden behind the finals enclosure, connected by 12 cables to the back of the bandswitch), then. I guess I'll just call it RL1, like on the schematic.

Yep that's RL-1. Now look at the schematic and you will see it is a 4PDT relay but NOWHERE does it switch the low pass filters on the board beside it. And that's what the discussion was about, relay switching of the filters.

Clif
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 05:16:34 AM »

From what I gathered, the bandswitch contacts were notorious for wearing out on those series radios.  Best bet is to send it to a restorer and have the entire radio gone through if you want it as your primary rig.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »

From what I gathered, the bandswitch contacts were notorious for wearing out on those series radios.  Best bet is to send it to a restorer and have the entire radio gone through if you want it as your primary rig.

There is some "play" (looseness) in the band switch but so far it still works. It requires some jiggling to get it to make the connection from time to time, but so far it hasn't failed me. I don't have the money for a restoration.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: