Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A neat solution to building a QTH  (Read 1983 times)
KB0TXC

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

Hi,

With the permanent addition of our 4 grandkids to our household, the room that I had previously set up as my TTY, rad science and radio room had to be used as a bedroom. Thus, I moved all of my gear and bench out of the room and set it up as a teen boy's room. The problem for me was that I found all of my gear piled up in the under the house garage. There is no carpet, but at least the ceiling is finished, so there was no cobwebs and dust up there. As I started to re-build my QTH, I felt as if I were sitting in a cave, and the audio echos were annoying. However, I found a really nice solution to this problem. My employer had been renting a large suite of a building to a not-for-proffit that went belly up and simply abandoned all of their property, including office cubicles. The person in charge of the facilities was happy to let me cart some of this away, as it lessened his work-load of hauling the stuff to the dumpster.

I brought a complete cubical home along with a modular "L" shaped desk setup and under the desk two drawer hanging file cabinet. I have my various computers set up under the desk, (I have dedicated computers for a lightning tracker by Boltec, another one that is used for storm tracking and a third for a news feed), my "modern" radios (eighties vintage) are set up on a matching computer table, and my tube gear is set up on the desk. I placed a nice area rug under the desk along with a radiant space heater for winter, and finished it all with a decent chair. The TTY gear and its rack of of associated gear is outside of the cubical, and my RAD science bench is on the other side of the cubical wall opposite of the modular desk. On this bench I have my scaler, counters, detectors and multi-channel analyzer. The Dewar flasks are under the bench in their lead castles and the LN2 tank is just outside of the one time garage, and the rack of NIM modules is next to the bench. The most amazing thing is that the movers that I hired did not break my HPGe detector, as they were quite rough at times and the detector is quite delicate.

In all, even though I lost my radio room that was completely finished, I gained more room in the garage, and much more importantly than any hobby or interest, we gained our grandchildren. I could not be happier, even though moving the common ground and antenna feeds was a real PIA. In all, it was all well worth it.

Best,

Joe KB0TXC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: