Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper ID for portable ops question  (Read 878 times)
KC5MO

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »

Hello all,
 I am new to portable ops and have a question on how to best or most proper way to ID my station when responding to a CQ and my station has multiple scenarios going for it.
I will be operating in the call area of 7, QRP and of course portable. Should it be KC5MO/7or KC5MO/P. I'm not sure where the QRP should come into play because some stations will listen for QRP stations and hold all higher power stations for the QRP stations.

Sorry for the bad question.

KC5MO
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »

Good question.  One that comes up occasionally.  The answer is: KC5MO/7.

The QRP part of it isn't part of the FCC regulations.....it's simply a personal preference of what kind of power you wish to use.

Many QRP operators never use the QRP or any part of it when calling CQ, let alone when identifying.

In reality, many portable stations never identify as being portable.  At one time it was necessary to notify the FCC when extended portable operation was planned and where it was to be done.  Things have changed radically down through the years.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »

There is no requirement for identifying in any particular way, as long as you give your callsign.

Whether you choose to identify as QRP, Portable, or /7 is up to you, and likely depends on the
circumstances.  I have a WB6 call in Oregon - on 2m FM I just use my callsign, because it is
unlikely (though not impossible) that someone from California could hit the repeater.
During contests where my location may make a difference, I add /7 to make it clear that I'm
not in California.  I've never heard /P used to identify portable operation - back when we were
required by the FCC to do identify when we were away from our home location, I would be
WB6BYU/6 when in California.  Similarly, I would use /QRP only when it makes a difference -
it might occasionally encourage someone to respond to your or to someone else, but mostly
I'd use it in a contest where there was a bonus for working QRP stations.

So you don't have to use any special identifier, but, if you do, the mostly likely would be /7.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:09:46 PM »

I find it matters what you're doing, and from where.

When I'm operating HF mobile, I sign /M on CW and "mobile #" (district) on voice.  Signing with just the number doesn't adequately signify operating mobile.  When fixed, /# or "portable #" gives the other op a clue you're not at home.  Using the call district number signifies you're portable and where you are, where /P signifies portable, but not from where.  So the number serves both purposes.

/QRP is a conundrum because with may ops it carries a 2 s-unit penalty (when they find out you're QRP suddenly you're harder to copy).  Not everyone likes/appreciates the challenge of working a QRP station and under tough copy or quick contest Q's, the /QRP adds to the time and possible confusion.  I would be more interesting in knowing if the op is portable, mobile, SOTA, et al than if he's QRP or not.  You can always convey the power level during the QSO if it's important.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »

97.119(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »

The call sign is all that is legally required. Anything else is personal preference.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »

Quote from: AA4PB

... No self assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

Fortunately, "P" is not an assigned prefix, because that letter block is split up
among different countries. But blocks such as W, F, G, R, K or M are assigned
to a single country, so can not be legally used as an indicator.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »

Quote from: AA4PB
... No self assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

Fortunately, "P" is not an assigned prefix, because that letter block is split up among different countries. But blocks such as W, F, G, R, K or M are assigned to a single country, so can not be legally used as an indicator.

Single-letter blocks are B (China, although they don't use it by itself, and Taiwan claims parts of it), F (France) G/M/2 (UK, but they don't use 2 by itself), I (Italy), K/N/W (US -- K has been all ours only since 1929), and R (Russia).  Before 1945, D (Germany) and J (Japan) were also full blocks.  The old USSR effectively had the entire U-block, although it was "officially" split between Russia and Ukraine.

KC5MO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:06 AM »

Thanks for all the great info. I will use KC5MO/7 then fill in the rest as needed during the QSO. You all have been a great help.

Hope to hear you on the air!!

Herb  KC5MO
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »

MO:  As you can now see there isn't anything such as a "simple" question here on eHam!

When you ask a question that can be deemed really technical, you better have your waders on!

While it's no longer NECESSARY to sign portable/mobile, etc., it is a courtesy if nothing else.  There aren't many things more frustrating that trying to work for an award and have to wade through stations that aren't where their call area indicates.  Or think you're working someone pretty far away with your QRP rig only to find they are one state over.

Have fun and simplify.  Besides, you can bet that if you don't do something right, SOMEONE will tell you about it.  You need to roll with that one as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: