Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-706 Unleashed...........ECCM frequency hopping plugin.  (Read 6901 times)
VK5ZLR

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:03 AM »

Is this something the Engineers at Icom designed the IC706 for ? 

Skippy:
http://home.lizzy.com.au/syntor/Skippy.html

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:29:26 AM »

Is this legal on the ham bands?

Tanakasan
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »

Tanakasan

There's nothing specifically banning it in the UK licence, but I don't know about the US Part 97. It should be banned in amateur bands since it's antisocial - and like all frequency hoppers, wastes spectrum.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »

'....radios are vulnerable to interception and jamming".

Well, of course amateur signals can be intercepted.  That is why they are not encrypted.  As far as jamming, well, that is not an ordinary problem, and certainly not one that should be 'fixed' by increasing spectrum usage and interference.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:55 AM »

I've used hoppers elsewhere and a fast hopper is actually a joy to use and makes spectrum sharing much less of a cat fight and done properly, actually exhibits system gain. Without special equipment most hams would never even know that a either fast hopper or direct sequence spread spectrum was sharing the band - really.

However, the last few lines of lawyer-speak on the web-site ruined it from even a light hearted discussion.  Seems that the Oz government sees this in the same way that the US government went after 'strong encryption' outside of their control: as a weapons system, not to be exported without special (read 'expensive') permits.

Oh well - I would have probably only used it for QRP CW rag chews with my friends during contests anyway...    Grin

de RadioRay ..._ ._
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:18:11 AM »

'....radios are vulnerable to interception and jamming".

As far as jamming, well, that is not an ordinary problem, and certainly not one that should be 'fixed' by increasing spectrum usage and interference.
Unfortunately, jamming by lids is becoming an increasing problem in DX operations. I saw something in the QRP subband on 40 last week looks a lot like Skippy, but with a narrower bandwidth and a higher hop rate. Wonder what it was?

73, wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Frequency hopping is a form of spread spectrum and as such is prohibited below the 440 band, including all of HF.  It is permitted on 70 CM and up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: