Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New FDM-DUO SDR from Woodboxradio  (Read 31575 times)
N9VV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

My Apache ANAN-10 QRP radio is online on the Internet for your
Android Tablet RIGHT NOW  Smiley

http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/AHPSDR

get the application glhpsdr right off the Android Play Store :-)

enjoy tuning my rig on HF (80M-6M) using my Dipole in Chicago suburb.

73 de Ken N9VV
http://www.n9vv.com
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »

My Apache ANAN-10 QRP radio is online on the Internet for your
Android Tablet RIGHT NOW  Smiley

Hey Ken, just what I need- yet another App to run down my Android battery.  Wink

I gave it a try on my Asus high powered 10 inch Android. It worked but needs work. I could not change bands or modes. It was stuck on  20 meters. I had it crash a few times also. I see it has xmit options which is interesting too. I also compared it to my QS1R receiving the same stations. The QS1R won the shootout easily, probably cuz I use a beam and you are 350 miles from me, propo could be different between our areas.

You really need to start a new thread on this Ken, as I am sure others would like to try it.

Stan K9IUQ

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »

I was thinking about something along the lines of the Earl Backcountry tablet (still in development), without FRS/GMRS, but with HF/VHF/UHF SDR, even at a couple of watts.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

How is a 10w radio a "squad radio" with a 2-5km range?  That's just silly.  In any event, you missed my point.  An SDR needn't have a general-purpose PC built into it, because it's a radio.

The KX3, for example, gets me to Japan on CW just fine.

I get your point. You cited the Tadiran, which is a squad radio and has a 2-5km LOS range. Not in my projected future of amateur SDR.

The subject of this topic, the FDM-DUO, and any other small form factor SDR rigs, will likely need a PC console for full functionality, at least for the next couple of years.

A tablet QRP radio would be cool. Full SDR, full screen controls, digi modes built in, a few watts out. I would buy that.

No, you missed my point.  The point wasn't the range, it was the form factor and control method - equivalent to a pure hardware radio.

Small format SDR rigs (like the KX3 or the Commradio or the Tadiran) do not need a computer any more than a small format hardware radio needs one.  Just a selection of dials, buttons, and a screen.

Anyway I already have a QRP "tablet" radio when I hook the KX3 up to my iPad.  It's neat.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »

"I already have a QRP "tablet" radio"

Another failed point.

You have a tablet hooked to a radio as an external console/monitor, not a "tablet radio".

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 12:16:42 PM »

Another failed point.

You believe it to be a failed point because neither the KX3 nor iPad has the Flexradio nameplate on it. How many apps are there for using a Flexradio with a tablet? That is what should be asking yourself.

QRP Tablet Radio - Now I like that name, it is a perfect description.
I think his KX3/ipad Tablet combo IS neat.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:18:53 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

Another failed point.

You believe it to be a failed point because neither the KX3 nor iPad has the Flexradio nameplate on it. How many apps are there for using a Flexradio with a tablet? That is what should be asking yourself.

QRP Tablet Radio - Now I like that name, it is a perfect description.
I think his KX3/ipad Tablet combo IS neat.

Stan K9IUQ

I'm glad you like my QRP Tablet Radio idea. It doesn't apply to the KX3/iPad combo. Not by any stretch.

That's not what I want, though. I want a QRP Tablet Radio. Standalone. Full SDR, all modes, a couple of watts or so output, with PSK, MFSK, RTTY and maybe JT65A apps. A CW keyer capability might be useful.

I don't have any pressing need to operate my Flex remotely with a tablet, but it is certainly a piece of cake. In fact, I have three different transceivers controlled by my shack PC. All can be used remotely with a tablet or a laptop, or desktop PC. From anywhere there is internet access of sufficient bandwidth to support a Skype call.

There is no special app needed. It works particularly well with HRD remote on a laptop, although any RDP or VNC client can be used if the connection is good. I've operated all three radios with an iPad, a Surface Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone, among others.

I'd prefer a QRP Tablet Radio.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

A QRP standalone tablet is a silly idea.  Power-hungry, do it all device?  Why bother when you can take a tablet and a nice real do-it-all radio, and combine them when desired?

Anyway I find your remark about having no desire to operate your Flex remotely quite amusing.  I might remark, that I have no desire to drive my car to Mars either, seeing as how it is just as likely for me to do that as it is for you to operate your Flex remotely.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »

Try using a tablet mobile!

I am using websdr.org with the Android application. Its a real pain  in the rear end. Touch screen operation and mobile is more dangerous than texting and driving.This
really illustrates that SDR radios have long way to go before the ergonomics are optimum. The point is that no SDR radio design or interface system can be used while mobile because the ergonomics are just so lousy. The point is that  that any knobbed radio can be used mobile without many issues. There is not one SDR receiver or transceiver that can be used mobile because the whole design is so cumbersome. I am just making the point about mobile operation to point out the flaws in the typical SDR user interface.
I have also been experimenting operating my station from the mobile through  the 3g network and  the best solution is the TS480 panel and remote rig box. The worst way is with a tablet or PC. It just about impossible to do it safely.

The quicker  SDR radio manufacturers just acknowledge that  there is no point in reinventing the wheel  and just deliver a knobbed SDR radio then their products will take off.
While they continue to pursue the table/pc or soft front panel there products will always be niche products that  have a narrow appeal.

The Sun SDR radio with a panel is  the right way to do it. Any HF radio product without VFO knob is not going to be ham radio in  the eyes of most hams. Sun
SDR has played its marketing cards right and will give it huge marketing advantage over all other SDR transceiver products. While I dont like the buttons the display
is rather appealing and is in the right place from an ergonomic review. Its in the same form fact of most test equipment and looks to be very ergonomic. I can only  imagine
how good it would look with some alternative front panel designs and knobs. The switches remind me a lot of the test equipment from the 70's and 80s and even the nixie tube days. I hope the Sun SDR company does well and offer an alternative to the unappealing  PC based SDR designs.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

Try using a tablet mobile!

I am using websdr.org with the Android application. Its a real pain  in the rear end. Touch screen operation and mobile is more dangerous than texting and driving.This
really illustrates that SDR radios have long way to go before the ergonomics are optimum. The point is that no SDR radio design or interface system can be used while mobile because the ergonomics are just so lousy. The point is that  that any knobbed radio can be used mobile without many issues. There is not one SDR receiver or transceiver that can be used mobile because the whole design is so cumbersome. I am just making the point about mobile operation to point out the flaws in the typical SDR user interface.
I have also been experimenting operating my station from the mobile through  the 3g network and  the best solution is the TS480 panel and remote rig box. The worst way is with a tablet or PC. It just about impossible to do it safely.

The quicker  SDR radio manufacturers just acknowledge that  there is no point in reinventing the wheel  and just deliver a knobbed SDR radio then their products will take off.
While they continue to pursue the table/pc or soft front panel there products will always be niche products that  have a narrow appeal.

The Sun SDR radio with a panel is  the right way to do it. Any HF radio product without VFO knob is not going to be ham radio in  the eyes of most hams. Sun
SDR has played its marketing cards right and will give it huge marketing advantage over all other SDR transceiver products. While I dont like the buttons the display
is rather appealing and is in the right place from an ergonomic review. Its in the same form fact of most test equipment and looks to be very ergonomic. I can only  imagine
how good it would look with some alternative front panel designs and knobs. The switches remind me a lot of the test equipment from the 70's and 80s and even the nixie tube days. I hope the Sun SDR company does well and offer an alternative to the unappealing  PC based SDR designs.

I find that using my iPad and my KX3 together is a real treat, even portable.  I don't operate HF mobile.

The ergonomics of this combination are fine - I simply hook up the iPad to the I/Q output of the KX3.  All audio and operation of the KX3 are handled by the radio's front panel - the iPad is a simple panadapter.  However, if I was interested in operating mobile (in a vehicle, by standard accepted meaning of the term) I would simply buy RAM type mounts for the KX3 and iPad and put them in a visible location.  However from a safety standpoint, I am more interested in driving than fooling with gadgets when I am in my car.

The potential for an SDR to utilize a tablet computer for the interface is there, and there is no reason that they need to be neutered or otherwise hobbled except for (from my perspective) the reliance on MS Windows, which is a huge pain in the ass even at home.  Far better would be a dedicated application for common tablets OS's or even HTML5 interface usable on any machine with a modern browser.
SHEETS_GUY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »

A tablet QRP radio would be cool. Full SDR, full screen controls, digi modes built in, a few watts out. I would buy that.

Is anyone familiar with the Elad ConRadio-18 http://v2.sdr-radio.com/Portals/0/Images/ELAD/IMG_0298.JPG.

It looks pretty cool but I haven't seen anything on it other than this?  Cost?  Functionality??

Probably not cheap but I'd love to read more about it.

Ian
Boynton Beach, FL
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »

Is anyone familiar with the Elad ConRadio-18 http://v2.sdr-radio.com/Portals/0/Images/ELAD/IMG_0298.JPG.

It looks pretty cool but I haven't seen anything on it other than this?  Cost?  Functionality??

Probably not cheap but I'd love to read more about it.

Ian
Boynton Beach, FL

Gosh that is horrible looking.  No thanks!
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I thought it was very nice looking. Kinda of a tablet with buttons and knobs. I wonder if that is the whole radio or just the Control Head..

Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I thought it was very nice looking. Kinda of a tablet with buttons and knobs. I wonder if that is the whole radio or just the Control Head..

Stan K9IUQ

I like it too, but I wonder about the ergonomics of having to reach that high for the VFO. Overall, if it's solid and sort of heavy like a point-of-sale terminal, that doesn't wiggle around when you poke and it, then it is a cool interface at the very least.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »

I guess I just don't like the idea of having a VFO knob glued to the front of a LCD monitor.   Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: