Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New FDM-DUO SDR from Woodboxradio  (Read 31780 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

I like it too, but I wonder about the ergonomics of having to reach that high for the VFO.

That's what I thought when I saw it.  I think your arm would grow tired after a while spinning the high mounted VFO knob.  I don't like the ergonomics at all.
SHEETS_GUY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »

I like it too, but I wonder about the ergonomics of having to reach that high for the VFO.

That's what I thought when I saw it.  I think your arm would grow tired after a while spinning the high mounted VFO knob.  I don't like the ergonomics at all.

I hadn't thought of that.  It probably would wear out my arm.

Does anyone know of a cheaper knob interface than tmate2 that's got decent functionality?  I've got a Griffin Powermate and that's just OK.  What I liked about the Tmate is you can adjust bw and volume as well as VFO from that box.  Still, ~$400 U.S. seems like a boatload of money for me for a set of knobs.  You can acquire a decent rig for that price...

Ian
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »

I hadn't thought of that.  It probably would wear out my arm.

Does anyone know of a cheaper knob interface than tmate2 that's got decent functionality?  I've got a Griffin Powermate and that's just OK.  What I liked about the Tmate is you can adjust bw and volume as well as VFO from that box.  Still, ~$400 U.S. seems like a boatload of money for me for a set of knobs.  You can acquire a decent rig for that price...

Ian

There is that Hercules DJ mixer port. It's not going to feature a nice display for frequency, but it certainly gives you knobs to spin and buttons to push..

http://www.hamradioscience.com/control-powersdr-with-the-hercules-dj-control-mp3-e2/

Thing is, one of the important aspects of an SDR that drew me in is the ability to put the radio over there out of the way, and have the controls on a flat screen, which takes up little extra space on the shack desktop. More room for other clutter like soldering irons, hammers, etc. that don't play well with hardware radio panels. Of course, since the inception of CAT control software, one has been able to do this with a traditional radio, but still, the traditional full power radio itself takes up a lot more space than an SDR of equivalent performance. (well, some of them do.. I recently saw a photo of a desk featuring a FTDX 9000 Contest sharing space with a Flex 3000 and a FT-847. I think I could fit ALL of my radios and my underwear drawer in the 9000 cabinet with room to spare)

The idea of a more fleshed out "console" like the Elad 18 is an interesting prospect. Still, the VFO knob should be lower, maybe along the bottom edge, and the whole thing able to be adjusted down to touch the tabletop, like many PC monitor stands.

Maybe put a USB sound system in it as well, with a decent speaker along the sides. If Apple can make a MacBook Air sound like it does without any visible openings, certainly....
SHEETS_GUY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »

[/quote]

There is that Hercules DJ mixer port. It's not going to feature a nice display for frequency, but it certainly gives you knobs to spin and buttons to push..

http://www.hamradioscience.com/control-powersdr-with-the-hercules-dj-control-mp3-e2/

Does PowerSDR work with anything other than Flex Radios?  I have a Winradio G31 and use Studio 1, HDSDR and the Winradio software package.  The Winradio package has a ton of keyboard shortcuts (that I have mapped to an X-Keys) but it is my least favorite amongst the 3 software packages.  Studio 1 is my favorite but it has very few useful keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks.

Ian
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »

Power SDR from what I know supports any SiS570 based sdr as well. I know it works with the softrocks in both rx and rx.   
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »

Latest News for the Elad FDM-DUO posted on the Yahoo Soft Radio Group by Alberto I2PHD:

============================================
ELAD FDM-DUO Preliminary Specification

========================================================================================

Front-end
ADC Linear LTC2165-16bit 122.88MHZ clock
DDC FPGA Spartan 6 XC6SLX25 + Serial Flash for stand-alone mode.

USB IQ path through CY68013 for RX bitstream
(192KHz up to 6.144Mhz single channel and 384KHz dual channel in PC mode)

Stand-alone RX IQ path STM32F4 ARM floating point microcontroller

LCD Controller Keyboard controller LPC1766 Cortex M3

TX modulator use a second STM32F4 Floating Point microcontroller
+ AD9957 DDS clocked at 368,64 MHz

Clocking source Si5338 driven by 10MHz TCXO or External reference input

TX modulator use I2S sourcing from MIC input (Cirrus CS5346) or USB input
(CODEC CM6510B with customized firmware)

The third USB is a FTDI controller for CAT interface

========================================================================================

This versatile platform allow transceiving
in stand alone mode or in PC mode or in dual mode.

Frequency range: RX 9Khz to 52MHz direct sampling receiver
TX 160m to 6m others frequency to be defined

MDS: -132dBm
BDR: +115dB (500Hz)

Power output 5W
There is available a secondary SMA connector output with 0dBm level for use or as generator
open from 400Khz to 150Mhz (TBD)

2m VHF RTX will be an option as a board to fit (TBD)

The RTX have 2 Antenna inputs and can work as single RTX antenna or separate RX and TX antennas
(selectable by front panel or by CAT)

Standalone Modes: CW CW+ CW- LSB USB AM

Firmware upgrade:
Cortex M3 by CAT
CY68013 by PC
STM32 RX or TX USB by memory stick through internal dedicated USBs
FPGA by PC
St-alone PROM TBD

When working in ST-Alone mode it is possible to connect an Android tablet
(for example a Samsung Galaxy) to see the 192KHz spectrum and send some commands to FDM-DUO.
Connection is made done through USB host of the Android and a TTL FTDI cable to EXTio connector of FDM-DUO

In dual mode PC software can show the 192KHz bandwidth of the FDM-DUO and it possible to
demodulate with PC Software and with FDM-DUO with internal demodulator

In PC mode the RX bandwidth may have up to 6MHZ and internal demodulator is disabled.

This is a Software Defined Radio and these mode can be changed depending on new software
that will be available from ELAD or for from who want to use Extio Dlls.

For using existing programs like HRD and FLDIGIā€¦.
It will be very simple to plug the USB for CAT and USB TX like an external sound card.

FDM-DUO will be available also as Receiver only as FDM-DUOr name

From aesthetic point of view the box will be available Silver or Black.

.....preliminary price: Euro 1159,00 VAT included, Euro 950 VAT excluded
.....planned availability: End of February 2014

============================================
The FDM-DUOr is the RX-only version of the FDM-DUO, the price for the RX-only version
will be 799.90 Euro VAT included, which corresponds to roughly 656 Euro without the VAT.

Price in US$:
RX/TX $1600 ($1300 no VAT).
RX Only $1100 ($900 no VAT).

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
IZ3ATV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: