Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm moving up in the world - My new FT-8800R  (Read 5906 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:47:23 AM »

Since getting back into the hobby I've only had HTs - now I can get out with more power!

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »

Very nice radio. I have one. I suggest to make using the menus easier is to get 1 of the mini manuals. They make finding what you want to change much easier then the standard manual.

Have fun!!!
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »

Six Steps for programming your FT-8800R

1. VFO MODE: You MUST be in the VFO mode to begin programming your radio. If it is in memory mode (a number indicating the memory channel will appear of the frequency), put your radio in VFO mode by pressing and releasing the P2 button on your microphone or [V/M] button on the front of the radios display under the frequency.

2. ENTER FREQUENCY: Set the frequency you want to use by entering the desired 6-digit frequency via the keypad. If you make a mistake somewhere in the middle press the PTT button on the side of the mic.

3. SET OFFSET: The FT8800R provides a convenient automatic repeater shift feature, which causes the appropriate repeater shift ( +, -, or SIMP) to be automatically applied based on the North American Band Plan. To manually set your offset, press and release the [SET] button. The [SET] button is in the middle of the radios display (the only one without a label) and ROTATE the “Main” band dial on the side of the radio that you are controlling to Menu #33 (RPT.MOD). Press the “Main” band dial knob momentarily, then rotate the “Main” band dial knob to select the desired offset ( +, -, or OFF meaning Simplex). Now press and hold the “Main” band dial knob for 1 second to save the new setting and exit to normal operation.

Note: If you have selected a simplex frequency or a repeater frequency that does not require a sub audible tone to access, please proceed to Step #6.

4. ACTIVATING SUB AUDIBLE TONE: If the repeater requires a sub audible tone, turn on the encode feature by pressing the P3 button on your mic. When ENC appears, press the PTT button on the mic to exit to normal operation. ENC should now appear above the frequency indicating that the sub audible tone feature has been activated.

5. SETTING THE PROPPER TONE: Even though you have told the radio to transmit a sub audible tone in step 4, you still have to set the proper tone frequency. Press and release the [SET] button. The [SET] button is in the middle of the radios display (the only one without a label) and ROTATE the “Main” band dial on the side of the radio that you are controlling to Menu #40 (TONE F). Press the “Main” band dial knob momentarily, then rotate the “Main” band dial knob to select the desired sub audible tone. Now press and hold the “Main” band dial knob for 1 second to save the new setting and exit to normal operation.

6. SAVING TO MEMORY: Now that you have the frequency, offset and tone (if required) selected, you are now ready to save your settings in a memory channel. PRESS and HOLD the the [SET] button for 1 second. The [SET] button is in the middle of the radios display (the only one without a label). A memory number (blinking) will appear on the display. ROTATE the “Main” band dial on the side of the radio that you are controlling and select the desired memory channel for storage. When you have selected the desired memory channel PRESS and RELEASE the [SET] button.

If you have additional memories to program, start again at Step #2. If you have completed your programming, PRESS and RELEASE the P2 button on your microphone or [V/M] button on the front of the radios display under the frequency to operate from Memory mode.

From the 'Net ... sent to me almost ten years ago ... Of course, programming software makes all of this quite painless!

Clint K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:23:07 AM »

Tip #2 - DON"T BUY THE RT SYSTEMS SOFTWARE!

Get a programming cable off eBay and purchase a copy of G4HFQ'a software for the FT-8800. $15 US

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb8800.htm

You can also use CHIRP which is free, only does the memories.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

The HyperMemory buttons make this radio shine. I have mine set up like this:

Button 1 = Left monitors local UHF repeater, right monitors our main VHF repeater
Button 2 = Left scans local repeaters, right monitors our main VHF repeater
Button 3 = Left scans public service, right scans local repeaters
Button 4 = Left monitors local NWS WX, right monitors our main VHF repeater
Button 5 = Sets both sides up for cross band repeat frequencies (I do have to turn that function on in the menu.)
Button 6 = Left scans area SKYWARN repeaters, right monitors local SKYWARN repeater

Lots of neat things you can do with that radio.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:30:00 AM by NA4IT » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

Get a programming cable off eBay and purchase a copy of G4HFQ'a software for the FT-8800. $15 US

I did.  Smiley

You can also use CHIRP which is free, only does the memories.

Oh I know about Chirp, I use it for my Baofengs. But I did find out that it doesn't work well at all for the FT-8800. It does the memories, but not exactly right. It doesn't put in the "skip" properly.

Also, as you say, it doesn't even program the radio's settings at all. And what's worse, it mucks up the settings you have set up manually every time you download the memories. So, yea, Chirp is out of the picture for this radio.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

>> ... Tip #2 - DON"T BUY THE RT SYSTEMS SOFTWARE!

You didn't mention any particular reason not to ...

I have used RT Systems software products for about 10 years, including for my FT-8800R. Could not ask for a more reliable programming experience.

Tip #3 - Do not take advice from anyone who uses ALL CAPS for an entire sentence.

Clint Bradford

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

I've used the RT System's software for programming my IC-V8000,  ever since this rig came on the market.  Never any problems with it.

Also acquired the RT System's software for my Baofeng 2/440 rig and my IC-7410 radio, and still no issues.

Ken KC8Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: