Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplex Linking  (Read 2639 times)
AF6D

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2013, 03:47:20 AM »

Our current 2m machine is about to be linked over 900MHz to a second location that will use poor man's voting -- a different imput CTCSS tone with a common output tone. We have enough 900MHz radio's to build a full duplex link but think that a simplex link through our RC-210 controllers will work fine. I know of many others that use simplex but is there a down side?

Our coverage areas include mountain recreation areas that can hear our Motorola MSF 5000's. But their low power HT's can't make it back to the repeater because of topography and geography. Several key areas are 2,000 feet down in lakeside communities and even mobiles might be challenged. We'd like to place receivers at member ham homes that have coverage in these areas. One-way cross-band with a single or dual phased yagi's aimed at which ever repeater has the best signal. Since there are more than one this is how the simplex idea was born.

I have thought of using like a Zetron community repeater controller and FIFO. First in, first out - with a very short hang time. Each remote location would use a different PL tone or DPL code. Is there a flaw in this idea so far? I'm also curious if Zetron controllers allow different input DPL codes but can output a single PL tone. Sure, we could just use PL but we feel that DPL is a better input choice.

I've built and maintained the repeater so I have some skills. Humbly, the repeater at 6,400 feet has over 120 mile coverage and the MSF's love HT's! But I'll say right up front that I am still a rookie repeater owner. Any advice is graciously accepted especially if you can show me a hole in the plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: