Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to hear anything from SO-50 with my tape measure beam  (Read 8502 times)
W5PFG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »

I will try monitoring the ISS packet bursts this weekend and see if I can hear any thing.  I am assuming the packet is still active on 145.800?

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

Check the Live OSCAR Reports page ... as well as the ISS Fan Club page ... for latest info.

Links to them on the SAT SKEDS page at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

The big question... Can you hear a local 70cm repeater on the antenna? Does it exhibit directionality?(obviously, it is cut for a lower freq than the repeater, but on receive you should see some performance) If you can't hear a local, you won't hear a satellite.

Yes, I know that the beam works.  I am using a Radio Shack scanner to listen to the downlink frequency.  I have still heard nothing.  I know a scanner might not be the best receiver in the world, but shouldn't I be hearing something during the passes?  I used to hear UO-14 all the time using a scanner.   

"I know that the beam works" isn't an answer. Your scanner should be picking up some transmissions. If it is not, then your antenna or feedline is suspect.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »

Seems like a ham who knows too much to take direction.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »

Seems like a ham who knows too much to take direction.

You are being a real a--hole with those comments partner. It is not my intention to stir anything up on here, but you don't know what you're talking about, so butt out.  I know the beam works because I tried it with my scanner, and it exibits directivity when I rotate it towards VHF/UHF stations, read my earlier posts.  It doesn't get much simpler than a tape measure beam antenna.  Have I actually checked the SWR or made contacts through a UHF repeater with it just yet?  No.  I will worry about that when I see if I can actually hear the bird on receive, which is what I am trying to accomplish for now.  I have been a ham for 21 years, and I have never claimed to anyone at any time that I, "know everything."
K7WDO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »

For the sake of technical discussion, I think this needed to be pointed out:

UO-14's transponder put out between 2-3W of power on the downlink.  AO-51 was even stronger.
SO-50's transponder is rated at 250mW.

It's possible the scanner may not be sensitive enough to hear the weaker signal, even with the help of the tape measure beam.  The other big factor to consider is SO-50's downlink transmitter is normally off unless someone transmits the arming PL tone to it.  So if it's a quiet pass with nobody on, there's nothing to hear, not even a carrier.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv4K41Ztax8
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: