Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Weather Station  (Read 8963 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »

Anyone here ever tinker with a wireless weather station? I have an Accurite model 00615 and yesterday I noticed the outdoor temp reads a constant balmy 158*, which coincidently is its max temp reading. all the other functions are fine except heat index and humidity. I'm about to climb up there and pull the outdoor unit off the mast to work on it in here and was hoping to get some clue here where/what the temp pickup looks like on the board.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »

Just a wild guess   but  if its a remote sensor,,  then maybe  a dead battery?HuhHuhHuhHuh??
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

Yes, the remote temperature sensor is faulty.  Generally, if the battery in our unit dies, the external temperature display goes blank.  I must say a temperature of 158 degrees seems to be a little high.  Here, thanks to Climate Change/Global Warming the temperatures in summer can be as high as 45 degrees.  I can't imagine how it would be possible to survive in temperatures above 100 degrees.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »

Yes, the remote temperature sensor is faulty.  Generally, if the battery in our unit dies, the external temperature display goes blank.  I must say a temperature of 158 degrees seems to be a little high.  Here, thanks to Climate Change/Global Warming the temperatures in summer can be as high as 45 degrees.  I can't imagine how it would be possible to survive in temperatures above 100 degrees.

USA uses Fahrenheit scale. Rest of the world uses Celsius. In the F scale, boiling water is 212 degrees. Typical summer readings are 100-110 in most of the country. 158 is the unit's maximum F reading. Some weather stations sold in USA can switch between F and C, some can't. OP should check his remote sensor for dead batteries.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »

thank you for the replies all. Batteries were my 1st move-definately not it. After a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner, and removal of some sort of crusty buildup on one corner of a hygro sensor, it still does it. My final attempt at this thing is it's been setting for 3 hours with no batteries installed-hopefully I'm wiping out some memory stuff. After dinner I'll give it one more shot. Beyond that I think it's a goner. Only lasted a year and a half. From what I read, you get what you pay for and apparently $100 aint a lot in weather station world.
Since I'm a cheapskate maybe I'll go buy a simple one for outdoor temp and continue to run this one for wind and forecast:)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »

thank you for the replies all. Batteries were my 1st move-definately not it. After a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner, and removal of some sort of crusty buildup on one corner of a hygro sensor, it still does it. My final attempt at this thing is it's been setting for 3 hours with no batteries installed-hopefully I'm wiping out some memory stuff. After dinner I'll give it one more shot. Beyond that I think it's a goner. Only lasted a year and a half. From what I read, you get what you pay for and apparently $100 aint a lot in weather station world.
Since I'm a cheapskate maybe I'll go buy a simple one for outdoor temp and continue to run this one for wind and forecast:)

Gotta love Chinese quality control, or the lack of it. I have a wired temp sensor, it's a Taylor and the outdoor temp is linked to a wire strung outside. Much better than a wireless unit. I bought a wireless temp unit from Rat Shack, it failed in a couple weeks. Acu-rite is supposed to be a good company, I have one of their alarm clocks and I love it. If you go to Fry's Electronics web site (frys.com) you'll see that a good weather station runs several hundred dollars.

I am old enough to remember my 8th grade history teacher and his sideline of teaching meteorology, and him helping us build a Heathkit weather station. This was 1989, a couple years before Heathkit quit the kit business. At least with a Heathkit, if it didn't work you only needed to look in the mirror to see the idiot who put it together wrong. Nowadays it's likely some political prisoner in China.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »

Gosh I feel old-I was in 8th grade in '75 Undecided
how'd you guess it was made in china? Roll Eyes
I saw they can run upwards of $3000 for a very serious system like is used in aero.
It's a shame this one lost its outdoor temp-I like the thing. It's an attractive little station. That's why I figure I'll keep it for windage, forecast, atomic time and all the indoor attributes. Then get a basic one for just outdoor temp.
Meh-who am I kidding. Will probably spring for another one soon. If anyone here has an opinion on what's the better one to get it is appreciated!
Meantime google is my pal Cheesy I'll start with Fry's
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »

Davis makes very good home weather stations.  I have a Vantage Pro 2 and it's been trouble-free for years.  The Vantage Vue is also quite good.
KC5YIL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »

I also use the Davis Vantage Pro II.  I have had it up since 2005 and only repaired it twice (changed a capacitor in the transmitter and a reed switch in the rain gauge bucket).
Reporting 24/7 to CWOP AR731 and KPAMERTZ1 on weather underground.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:51:57 AM »

I too use a wireless Davis Vantage Pro II.  I have had it up since 2005 and have only replaced the transmitter's "supercap" as I suspect the user above has done.  It runs 24/7 and reports to CWOP as AR824. It's mounted on a guy post in the near field of my SteppIR Big IR.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »

Thanks for your replies. That is a heck of a weather station, but $500 is too steep for my application. You guys need the reliability of that one to run info to a website, but for a guy like me to have weather out my door at a glance, to me, doesn't justify that kinda money. I was hoping originally, to get a fix for the one I have. Since that isn't any longer possible, I guess a new one of equal value is what I'll get. I have my eye on another Acurite-the 01515. Very good reviews so far spread over many users, has wind speed and direction among other goodies too.
On the other hand, based on the many years your Davis' lasted so far, that $500 may make sense! What a quandry Tongue
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

My VP2 has been running since 2009 -- I'm currently sending data to Weather Underground (KCAPINON3) and CWOP (AT643) and am NOAA's official station for my little neck of the woods (92372).

At about what age did the "supercap" need replacing?  How did you know it needed replacing?

The only actual problem I've had so far was of my own doing -- I put a couple light bulbs inside, under the black rain bucket and mounted onto the black plate upon which it sits.  The purpose was to melt snow.  Well, I over-did it with regard to wattage and melted the plastic that holds the tipping buckets.  So I had to replace that bottom plate.  Now I have lower-wattage light bulbs in there and it melts snow just fine.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »

Gosh I feel old-I was in 8th grade in '75 Undecided
how'd you guess it was made in china? Roll Eyes
I saw they can run upwards of $3000 for a very serious system like is used in aero.
It's a shame this one lost its outdoor temp-I like the thing. It's an attractive little station. That's why I figure I'll keep it for windage, forecast, atomic time and all the indoor attributes. Then get a basic one for just outdoor temp.
Meh-who am I kidding. Will probably spring for another one soon. If anyone here has an opinion on what's the better one to get it is appreciated!
Meantime google is my pal Cheesy I'll start with Fry's

Without belaboring the obvious if you go to Acurite's website you can order a replacement outside sensor for $40.

Clif
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »

Without belaboring the obvious if you go to Acurite's website you can order a replacement outside sensor for $40.

Clif
[/quote]
Wasn't aware of this Clif. Went there and saw it-it looks quite a bit different than mine physically. Maybe they ironed out some bugs with the new one. Thanks for the help!
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »

For what it's worth, I wound up betting another $100 at Lowe's on Acurite-the 01515. Up and running as of yesterday. It's nice to have wind direction and rain measuring..two things I didn't have with the last $100 unit. So far it's closely concurring with two stations on Weather Underground nearby me. We'll see how long she lasts. If it craps out on me within a couple years like the last one, I then will get that Davis beauty and call it a day.
Thanks again for the replies.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: