Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna for hotel use  (Read 22194 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »

During my work week I am living in a 2 story hotel the manager has let me put an antenna on the roof so for practicality I think I need to go with a vertical antenna I have check out the r8 by cushcraft and the. Comet 250 I would like to hear some input in what would be the best way to go on my  situation thanks
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »

If you can put up the likes of an R8, that would be a decent choice.  Forget the Comet.  The R8 would offer a good compromise between efficiency, ease of installation and operating convenience.

Do you have something to clamp it to?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

Yes on the roof thre is some metal structure that suppor some solar panes that he told me I can use to support some maybe a small mast . I thought initially about a dipole but I really don't have a way to put one up. I think vertical is the way that's way I was asking about best compromise option on vertical I was reading recently about the hy gain av 640 looks similar to the r8 but seems more complex to assembly what ya think about that one?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »

Assembling and installing either one for a 2-week stay seems like a lot of work to me. Wink

I'd do it if I went to someplace rare that would generate pileups and could operate 12 hours a day.  But for casual operating, still seems like a lot of work.  The R8 takes hours to assemble and is a l-o-n-g antenna that might be difficult to manage alone (with two people, it's much easier).

I'd probably just bring a small loop like I usually do for hotel operations.  The MFJ "Super Hi-Q Loop" antennas are only 3' in diameter, pretty lightweight, can install almost anywhere and work surprisingly well.  Really surprisingly well.  They're very sharply tuned (about 10 kHz operating bandwidth per "setting") but since they're remotely tuned via a control box, once you get used to that (takes an hour or so), it's really easy.
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »

Is not a couple week a one for for every week and sty 4 days so i actually spend more time here than at. Home
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »

You might also look at the MJF-1796 vertical dipole. With this you give up some efficiency on 40 meters (50%) and the WARC bands. The prices is $200 vs $450. Leaving the 2 and 6 meter elements off it took me 2 hours to assemble and 1 hour to tune. My KX3 will tune it on 17 and 12 meters with a 10 dB loss in gain on 17 meters (due to 50' of RG-8X into a high VSWR).
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:00:12 AM »

Look into the Trans world antennas  I just bought a TW-2010L and it works just fine. they are portable HF antenna 
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

Check out the GAP Verticals.They appear to have GREAT reviews & many require no radials as well.

Clayton
W4KVW
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »

You may want to consider the MFJ 2286.  It's only around $100 bucks, and great for portable or temporary set ups!
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »

What ever you decide to use, ground the rig to water line . These solid state rigs don't like RF floating around ( don't ask how I know) What I do is : get cheap extension cord, cut the ends off, tie all 3 wires together, hose clamp to water line in bath.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

I am also in the same situation, as a traveling construction manager I usually spend 6 to 8 weeks in hotels.
I am surprised the manager gave you permission to put something on the roof, if a big flag type establishment that is always verbotten, the implied liabilities are astronomical!
I usually find the least active corner of the parking lot and look for some trees for a 40 ft dipole I can string up and coil up feedline somewhere not obvious when not in use and run fixed mobile from my truck.
http://www.eham.net/articles/19385 .Wrote this article years ago but I still practice the same methods when stuck in Podunk Roach Inn hi.
Regards
Bob
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »

That is one friendly hotel manager!

By any chance, is the name of the hotel CALIFORNIA?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »

I take an ELK beam with me inside hotels for 2 Meter/440 work.  A screwdriver on the vehicle keeps me busy on the lower bands.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 06:07:51 AM »

I operated many times from hotels or apartments. The biggest problem is white noise from all the electronics inside. Also if the structure is brick and particularly if the roof is metal, not much will escape from inside or even from the balcony.

With access to the roof, I would try to put a fiberglass pole, say 15-20 ft and add some extra wire as inverted L. This will increase efficiency and add higher lobes for local contacts. A few radials. Fed with TV ribbon. The alternative is to use the same mast for inverted V made of thin wire, some gauge 26. There are some poles on amazon.com that weigh 1/2lb, and measure 2 ft collapsed and 20f extended.

Another option is to run a thin wire to the nearest tree if it is high enough (at least 15ft ft).

When the hotel is really high, you may try extending  fiberglass pole with thin wire drooping at the end, with another wire drooping down right from the balcony.

Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: