Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many failures to replacement  (Read 9237 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »

Louis:  Every once in a while you'll run across one of these types of guys.  Mine was a cheaper loss.... a neighbor and so called friend borrowed my electric drill.  He came back two days later, handed me the drill and said, "It got hot and quit running."  He then turned around and walked away with me standing there like an idiot holding a dead electric drill!

After that I included 'tools' to my list of "DO NOT LEND" items which consists in part, test instruments and guns.

If I was you I'd send "Frosty" an email or letter once in a while to remind him that he's an asshole!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »

Louis:  Every once in a while you'll run across one of these types of guys.  Mine was a cheaper loss.... a neighbor and so called friend borrowed my electric drill.  He came back two days later, handed me the drill and said, "It got hot and quit running."  He then turned around and walked away with me standing there like an idiot holding a dead electric drill!

After that I included 'tools' to my list of "DO NOT LEND" items which consists in part, test instruments and guns.

If I was you I'd send "Frosty" an email or letter once in a while to remind him that he's an asshole!

I would have gotten a deposit or some kind of collateral before I let the take it out of country like that. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »

I would have gotten a deposit or some kind of collateral before I let the take it out of country like that. 

Well, in Frosty's defense, he did not ask me to make this "loan"  I solicited the idea to him because I wanted his 6 meter effort to be the best it could be and figured having at least 1200w output would make a big difference.  All I asked in return was for him to recognize the fact in any "write up" of that expedition.  I thought I was very clear as to my intention to have this amp a "loaner" to dxpeditions etc.  I never thought he would leave the amp in Africa and not return it with him to the USA to be passed on to the next expedition that could use it.   Obviously I was wrong.  I am trusting to a fault.  I also donated one of my conversions to the ARRL for their club station W1HQ.  They did recognize the fact in a review they did for a power meter and bring it to the attention of visitors when they get the tour of that station.  I suppose next time I'll have to get something in writing as to what the terms are, if there is a next time?   
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

"Do you mean Jay from Array Solutions? I don't think he handles these amps anymore"

Correct, He was the first on the ship to get in and rapidly get out.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »

Well, in Frosty's defense, he did not ask me to make this "loan"  I solicited the idea to him because I wanted his 6 meter effort to be the best it could be and figured having at least 1200w output would make a big difference.  All I asked in return was for him to recognize the fact in any "write up" of that expedition.     

"In Frosty's defense...?"  If somebody had swiped my amp I don't think I'd be able to find anything in his/her defense.   Lou, you really missed your calling. You should've gone to law school!

You have a 6 meter conversion business and make no secret about it. Seeking a little publicity is the norm when lending equipment, at least with the big amateur radio firms. 

Sorry, but I don't think he has any defense.  I wonder what Elecraft or Alpha would do if one of their loaners was not returned?  Next time get a credit card first and if it's not returned you can issue a charge for the equipment.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

Well, in Frosty's defense, he did not ask me to make this "loan"  I solicited the idea to him because I wanted his 6 meter effort to be the best it could be and figured having at least 1200w output would make a big difference.  All I asked in return was for him to recognize the fact in any "write up" of that expedition.     

"In Frosty's defense...?"  If somebody had swiped my amp I don't think I'd be able to find anything in his/her defense.   Lou, you really missed your calling. You should've gone to law school!

You have a 6 meter conversion business and make no secret about it. Seeking a little publicity is the norm when lending equipment, at least with the big amateur radio firms. 

Sorry, but I don't think he has any defense.  I wonder what Elecraft or Alpha would do if one of their loaners was not returned?  Next time get a credit card first and if it's not returned you can issue a charge for the equipment.

My cousin always says to me "you will be rewarded in heaven".  No good deed goes unpunished seems to be really true! 
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »

2K-FA is in my opinion a very good design. Imagine a combiner that can safely withstand 200C and the tuner cooled by a fan. Also $5 SMD caps. A 5 lb owner supply.

Anyway, someone making such an investment does not expect a failure within 1 hr of opening. Even less 2 failures to follow. If they happen, one would expect apologies and a replacement. Otherwise, one feels like a fool.   

Ignacy, NO9E
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

Well, in Frosty's defense, he did not ask me to make this "loan"  I solicited the idea to him because I wanted his 6 meter effort to be the best it could be and figured having at least 1200w output would make a big difference.  All I asked in return was for him to recognize the fact in any "write up" of that expedition.  I thought I was very clear as to my intention to have this amp a "loaner" to dxpeditions etc.  I never thought he would leave the amp in Africa and not return it with him to the USA to be passed on to the next expedition that could use it.   Obviously I was wrong.  I am trusting to a fault.  I also donated one of my conversions to the ARRL for their club station W1HQ.  They did recognize the fact in a review they did for a power meter and bring it to the attention of visitors when they get the tour of that station.  I suppose next time I'll have to get something in writing as to what the terms are, if there is a next time?   

Lou,

When I visited my mother in Chicopee MA in 2011 I took a tour of the ARRL Headquarters and I was treated with the full Monty tour including operating W1AW and everywhere else. I saw your amp and the crew was dang proud of it too! My brother who was with me and not a ham was very impressed with the lab and the equipment there since he is a electronic tech who is the main repairman for all Baldwin organs in the US(he bought all the parts when they closed).  W1QH is a nice place to take a lunch break too bad 6M was not open.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

"Full Monty tour..."?

THERE'S a disturbing mental picture... Shocked

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »

"Full Monty tour..."?

Since I a the Pacific Area Traffic Manager I got to see more than the normal tour I even got to sort some cards for the KH6 Bureau and since I had about 35 cards I did not have to wait to get them, it was a great time.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

"Full Monty tour..."?

Since I a the Pacific Area Traffic Manager I got to see more than the normal tour I even got to sort some cards for the KH6 Bureau and since I had about 35 cards I did not have to wait to get them, it was a great time.

You'd be surprised how far a dozen Dunkin Doughnuts goes a HQ.   Grin
K8XS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »

Seems like we got a little off topic. I would like to see some more comments related the the OP. What would you do. What is your limit. How far would you take it.

Thanks,
Tim K8XS
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »

I bought a brand new SG2020 ADSP2 a few years ago. To make a long story short, after THREE return trips to the factory, it still does not work properly. It now sits on a shelf, an expensive mistake on my part for buying that sorry thing in the first place. Two years ago, I  bought a  brand new Icom IC7000. Same story. After it quit once and was sent in for warranty repair, it then blew up and I sent it back for the second time. The second time, the driver board actually exploded like a firecracker. I had never used the radio anywhere but on my desk. But when I got it  back the second time, I promptly swapped it for an almost new Yaesu FT-950. Well, after a year, now the FT950 won't turn on, so here we go again. My grand little Elecraft K2 has NEVER let me down, and mine is one of the very first kits made in 1999. I think I'm going to stick with Elecraft and Ten Tec from now on.    Angry
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: