Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 7000 and IC=SM5 Microphone  (Read 3700 times)
N1EGT

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with operating a 7000 with the SM5 mic? My plan was to use the modular to pin adapter plug assembly.Thanks for any information you could share
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

The sm5 should work fine w/ the 7k
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

What you need is an SM8. The SM5 has a high gain preamp, and almost anywhere you set the gains (radio and/or mic), the gain will be too much for the 7000.

N1EGT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I called ICOM today, to go right to the horse's mouth. I was told to adjust comp/ ACL with the supplied mike. Then connect the SM5 and adjust mike level with the "on mike" pot. The idea is to have the radio pre-set for either mike.

Thanks again,
          Bill   73's
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »

Your better off getting it from guys that probably use it currently, or have had a variety of mic's and experimented with them extensively. That's what I've done for years.

I'd go with an IC-SM8!

Everyone's voice response is different. You have those with high pitched voices, mid and low pitch voices. Combine that with a loud talker or low is gonna make all the difference in the world.

Set the TBW band width setting as so:

SSB TBW WIDE: L 100
                        H 2900

MID: L 200
                       H 2900

NAR: L 300
                       H 2700 or 2900

Once you set these settings you won't need to change for any mic. Set and forget!

COMPRESSION: no more than level 1 to 2 max.

With the SM8 you shouldn't need any compression if gain is set correctly which you will have to conture to your operating position and standard voice level.

I would choose TBW WIDE position and NO compression along with adjustments I'll mention below.

Depended on Transmit Band Width (TBW) adjusting gain and band width is something you'll have to play with.

I would just crank gain on SM8 or SM5 1/4 way about 9:00. Then adjust from the radios MIC Level adj. Of course with LOW Impdence.

Beauty about the SM8 is it's Tone Control adj feature it has as well. So if you already have a bassy voice turn it to max treble. Then try both WIDE and MID range. The SM8 will give you that little extra treble the radio can't give you but mic will.

From here you'll have to experiment, but with an SM8 right to the IC-7000 will produce better audio than almost any mic in market for simple desk operation.

I've tried about 15 different mic's on all my IC-7000's directly to radio. To prove it you'll notice in my picture of shack I have the SM8 married to my IC-7000 and love it with my settings. So does everyone else.

73!

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »

Another thing!

This is the mobile section so not sure if your planing to use a desk mic for mobile use. Not a good idea.

If you go mobile the best mic will be the Heil Traveler IC Element Head Set. Along with TBW settings.....

Compression at Level 1.....Mic Gain at about 30%......mic element about 2-3 inch's from mouth works and sounds great. TBW at mid range setting for rag chew gave me great reports.

For contesting I use the Heil DX4 Element Head Set with TBW in WIDE position and compression Level 1......mic gain depending at about 40-50 % and it sounds great for DX'ing and contesting.

Just saying.

73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: