Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding off on license upgrade?  (Read 17656 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »

Is anybody else putting a license upgrade on hold due to the political disaster in DC? I want to get my AE, but feel like the FCC may be shut down several more times (along with the rest of govt) before the leaders agree. I have a study guide, but so far it is just sitting. I don't want to have to wait months for my license.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »

Is anybody else putting a license upgrade on hold due to the political disaster in DC? I want to get my AE, but feel like the FCC may be shut down several more times (along with the rest of govt) before the leaders agree. I have a study guide, but so far it is just sitting. I don't want to have to wait months for my license.
Even if FCC shuts down again, all it will hold up is when the upgrade posts (and any callsign change you might request). Since you are already licensed, you will be able to operate with your new privileges the moment you are handed the CSCE, and those temporary privileges can last as long as it takes.

The only reason to put off taking the test is if you are not ready to take it.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »

Even if FCC shuts down again, all it will hold up is when the upgrade posts (and any callsign change you might request). Since you are already licensed, you will be able to operate with your new privileges the moment you are handed the CSCE, and those temporary privileges can last as long as it takes.

The only reason to put off taking the test is if you are not ready to take it.

I know that the ARRL is still having VE's giving tests. I'm the type of guy to not operate until the new rank is in the ULS, and preferably until I have the paper license in hand. So if I get my AE and the govt shuts down, my first impulse is to not operate in Extra-designated bands until the mess is sorted out. Why? Because I'm like that. I even confuse my own mother at times.  Grin Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »

You would have had fun back in the 1950/1960 era.  One month was to be expected.  Two months wasn't unusual.
No "instant gratification"?  Tisk tisk.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

So you don't want to wait months for a license, but you are willing to put your upgrade effort on hold until the federal government straightens itself out?  Interesting approach.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »

If you are ready and know you can pass, Do Not put it off.

I studied hard for a month to get ready to get my Extra. I knew I could pass. But the next VE exam in my area was 6 weeks in the future. I knew I could not remember all the answers that long without continuous studying.

So I drove over 200 miles round trip to another state to take the exam. Yep I passed easily.

Another plus was I did not know the VE's who gave me the exam. If I had taken it locally I would have been very nervous since the hams were known to me....

Stan K9IUQ
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:22:14 AM »

If you plan on waiting to upgrade until this mess in Washington is straightened out, you might as well resign yourself to being a General for the rest of your life!

Since you are already licensed, you will be able to operate with your new privileges the moment you are handed the CSCE, and those temporary privileges can last as long as it takes.

CSCEs are only good for 365 days, not "as long as it takes".

I know that the ARRL is still having VE's giving tests. I'm the type of guy to not operate until the new rank is in the ULS, and preferably until I have the paper license in hand. So if I get my AE and the govt shuts down, my first impulse is to not operate in Extra-designated bands until the mess is sorted out. Why? Because I'm like that. I even confuse my own mother at times.  Grin Grin

Signing your call as KJ6ZOL/AE is perfectly acceptable after you pass your test and it has been that way since incentive licensing has been in existence. As far as waiting for your paper license to come in the mail, having your callsign show up in the ULS database is now the official record of your license.

§ 97.3   Definitions.

(a) The definitions of terms used in part 97 are:

(1) Amateur operator. A person named in an amateur operator/primary license station grant on the ULS consolidated licensee database to be the control operator of an amateur station.

And furthermore...

§ 97.5   Station license required.

(a) The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database.

And if that was not clear enough...

§ 97.7   Control operation required.

When transmitting, each amateur station must have a control operator. The control operator must be a person:

(a) For whom an amateur operator/primary station license grant appears on the ULS consolidated licensee database.

KO3Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:23:28 AM »

I was an inactive Tech for 15 years and ran into an old ham friend in June.  Since then I upgraded my mobile radios and put a UHF repeater on the air.

I also started studying for the General and Extra, and passed both about a week before the shutdown.

My upgrade did not show up before the shutdown, but much to my surprise it happened about 10am the day the FCC site came back up.

Not only that but I submitted a vanity call sign request the same day, and that process is not backed up either.

Don't use a possible future shutdown as an excuse.  It's a minor delay and may never happen.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »

I've decided to try and take the test in December. The next shutdown, IF it happens, will not be until January 15. I was holding off mainly because I was taking medication (I'm disabled) that made for very erratic sleep patterns. That problem has been solved. I have the No Nonsense study guide, and plan to start reading it after I get my driving test out of the way the first week of November.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

Since you are already licensed, you will be able to operate with your new privileges the moment you are handed the CSCE, and those temporary privileges can last as long as it takes.
CSCEs are only good for 365 days, not "as long as it takes".

Yes, the temporary operating authority is only valid for 365 days. Although I would hope that any federal shutdown would be resolved much faster than that, we have also seen the FCC extend deadlines impacted by the shutdown. So I'd expect them to also extend the temporary privileges if we were to see an extended shutdown, but thanks for the reminder that it would not be "automatic."

Signing your call as KJ6ZOL/AE is perfectly acceptable after you pass your test and it has been that way since incentive licensing has been in existence.

Not quite. Incentive licensing occurred in 1967, and was a completely different animal. I don't even think the temporary operating authority was part of the original VE/VEC system when it was implemented in 1984. I think it was a later change, though I don't remember when.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »

If you think you can pass, take it ASAP. No point in spinning your wheels preparing for the exam when you could be doing something else.  I took it this past weekend only somewhat prepared knowing it might be a while before I see the Extra in the ULS but it doesn't matter too much* since my ultimate goal is to get on the lower end of 20 & 40m. I'm now using my time to work up on my CW skills instead of working over the question pool over-and-over.

Ray KJ6AMF/AE

* Well it matters a little since I also want to get an easily heard vanity call and I have to wait for the FCC to catch up before I apply. KJ6AMF/AE is not a good contest call.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

If you think you can pass, take it ASAP. No point in spinning your wheels preparing for the exam when you could be doing something else.  I took it this past weekend only somewhat prepared knowing it might be a while before I see the Extra in the ULS but it doesn't matter too much* since my ultimate goal is to get on the lower end of 20 & 40m. I'm now using my time to work up on my CW skills instead of working over the question pool over-and-over.

Ray KJ6AMF/AE

* Well it matters a little since I also want to get an easily heard vanity call and I have to wait for the FCC to catch up before I apply. KJ6AMF/AE is not a good contest call.

I was just checking to see if the Silicon Valley VE Group's most recent session results had been posted by the FCC, and I see that your new license status appeared this (Tuesday) afternoon.  Your /AE days are over.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »

That was fast! TU Robert!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »

HAHAHAHAHEHEHE LOL The Government will NEVER straighten itself out so I guess you will NEVER get that Upgrade.General is not so bad so just go get on the air & stop expecting a Miracle from anything associated with Government period.That was a good one though so may I use it as well? {:>)   Smiley   Wink   Cheesy  Grin  Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:54 AM »

If I were you I would go ahead and take it now. If you wait for thoes CLOWNS in DC to get it together it may never happen.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: