Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping advice please  (Read 4928 times)
KI6LKP

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »

I'm going to ship my old Kenwood TS-930 across country for my brother to use. As you know, it's a heavy one. And, since I've never done this before, I could use some advice please.

First, should I package the radio by itself, without any accessories like the microphone, and speaker?
Second, should it be double boxed?
Third, any preference of Fed-Ex or UPS?
Fourth, the UPS store offers packaging service. Go that route, or do it myself?

Thank you for any tips or experience you may have, I certainly appreciate any advice.

Dave KI6LKP
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »

First, should I package the radio by itself, without any accessories like the microphone, and speaker?

Yes.  Avoid mixing heavy and light objects in the same box lest the heavy item(s) crunch the smaller pieces.

Yes.  Heavy items are more able to tear up the box and double boxing makes this only half as likely.

No.  They're equal opportunity manglers, although I'd give the nod to UPS for this one. FedEx is more documents than freight.

If the UPS store does quality work compare the cost of pro packing to the cost of the radio. The packing is probably cheap insurance.

Never change a password on a Friday                
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »

Put it in the original shipping carton, place that on the back seat of the car and drive across country..... expensive but works! Good chance for  a vacation, too.

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:05:45 PM »

Put it in the original shipping carton, place that on the back seat of the car and drive across country..... expensive but works! Good chance for  a vacation, too.

Original Shipping Carton....   Grin Grin     

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »

any preference of Fed-Ex or UPS?
I wouldn't ship my radio w/ either of those clown outfits.  Neither cares a wit about what is in a box.  Best suggestion is from G3RZP, "place that on the back seat of the car and drive across country".

Mike
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:09:49 PM »

KI6LKP, I have shipped many items, as I sell on EBay. First USPS is an excellent shipper, I have had no problem with them, you can ship with them as long as your items weight is less then 70 lbs, and the shipping box is less then the maximum allowed size. UPS is also an excellent choice, but a little more expensive. Don't forget to include insurance for the value of the product.

Packing a fragile item for shipment is not difficult with the packing materials available. I would wrap the radio with a few layers of bubble wrap. Use an oversize box for the radio. Put the bubble wrapped radio in the center of the box and pack it with peanut packing until it no longer moves. Seal the box with a good packing tape, and put fragile labels on all the sides. Pack your microphone and speaker in a separate box using the same packing techniques.

I have shipped a few radios including a Heathkit SB-401-1 transmitter (Has tubes). A FRG-7000 receiver a few microphones and other sensitive electronic equipment with no damage after shipment is received.

Of course G3RZP has the best way to ship, but this is very impractical for most.

I have never used a packing service so I can not vouch for their packing ability.

Hope this helps a little.

73s

K2OWK
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »

As for the UPS Store, you can just about count on them doubling the shipping rate, in addition to the packing charge.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Of course G3RZP has the best way to ship, but this is very impractical for most.

For G3RZP a cross country trip is maybe 70 miles... Give or take a wrong turn at the roundabout.   Cool

... or pedestrians.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »

You may do what you want. A 930 is a 50 lb radio. It doesn't survive in bubble wrap very well, the bubbles pop. On all 930's, 940's, 950's, or TL922's shipped to me for repair I require original inner foam inserts and double boxed. It's either that or a custom made box fitted to the radio. Look at it this way, those radios are heavy and a lot of parts are no longer available to put them back in operating condition. If it gets damaged it may not be repairable. Even if repairable figure a lot of time to fight to get the claim paid (USPS is the worst) plus the time to do the actual repair.

You can get lucky with marginal packing and most people do. Are you feeling lucky???

Clif
www.avvid.com
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »

One thing to consider when packing electronic equipment for shipping is to use the original packing material.  Of course this raises eyebrows because "who keeps the original packing?"  The answer to that of course is, "Those who consider the possibility that the piece of gear might have to be shipped someplace for repair!"

If you pay attention to the way electronic gear is packed, none of the controls touch anything!  The reason for this is if the equipment shifts inside the box only a fraction of an inch and the controls are in contact with anything, including bubble wrap, the controls can be damaged.

If you don't have the original packing, try to replicate it with solid Styrofoam supporting everything against the inside box,except the controls.

The radio should fit tight in this box.  No moving around as you lift and turn it.

This then is placed inside another larger box with insulation between the two boxes, on all sides.

Obtain well made boxes, not boxes that toilet paper or paper towels come in.  If all of this sounds like a PITA just consider it payback for disposing of the original packing! 
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

I'm going to ship my old Kenwood TS-930 across country for my brother to use. As you know, it's a heavy one. And, since I've never done this before, I could use some advice please.

Thank you for any tips or experience you may have, I certainly appreciate any advice.

Dave KI6LKP

If it were me....  Grin. I'd find the price difference between USPS and UPS.   If it were close I'd go with UPS.   I haven't had any problems with either.   Insure it.   Forgot the limits.   One is $500 and that might be USPS.  UPS might be the same - it might be FedEX that was higher.   Doesn't really matter  - think positive.   It's not a 990.

I'd find a good thick box, stuff it with foam pieces and wrap it in bubble wrap.   Close it up and tape it really well.   Tape the corners, tape it all.   Put the address on and FRAGILE everywhere and off it goes.   It's NOT fine china.   The weight of the item is dissipated across the whole surface.  As long as it's padded and doesn't move in a thick box... I'd send it.   I live in HI.. everything comes a long way.   

I wouldn't pay someone to do it.   Buy the stuff you need to cushion it.   Just find a good box, the thick higher rated kind.   Tape and more Tape.

The websites shows you how to measure it for exact pricing with weight.   No worries.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:29:59 PM by WH7DX » Logged
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »

You may do what you want. A 930 is a 50 lb radio. It doesn't survive in bubble wrap very well, the bubbles pop. On all 930's, 940's, 950's, or TL922's shipped to me for repair I require original inner foam inserts and double boxed. It's either that or a custom made box fitted to the radio. Look at it this way, those radios are heavy and a lot of parts are no longer available to put them back in operating condition. If it gets damaged it may not be repairable. Even if repairable figure a lot of time to fight to get the claim paid (USPS is the worst) plus the time to do the actual repair.

This is very good advice.  I routinely move TS-930s around myself and while I prefer the G3RZP route when possible (and it often is), you often just have to pack them.

You can get lucky with marginal packing and most people do. Are you feeling lucky???

Again, this is pretty sage advice.  I'll add that it doesn't matter too much which shipper you use if you pack it right.  Double boxing is a must with ordinary packing materials.  Packing radios is a bit like lightning protection in that you know that impulses are going to occur, you just don't want your radio to be in the primary absorption path!  So, you have to control where the energy gets dissipated.  Any time the radio is at risk of sliding around (and bumping into the carton), it will be absorbing shocks.  That is, you want the carton to flex without the radio being a part of the flex.  If you look at shipping cartons for amps, radios, and test equipment, they have a lot of air and/or relatively high-density foam in them.  That's because they're designed to let the carton flex around the payload.  At the same time, they're rigid enough to keep the payload centered (and have it return to center).  Peanuts do a fair job at this, but they're a mess to work with.

If you plan to move it a lot, a foam-in-placed heavy cardboard box would work well, or a crate, or even a Pelican case.  I have a wooden crate for my personal TS-930S (why yes, it is very heavy) and a Pelican case for my K3.  There's no sense in having a great radio that you don't take care of when you transport it.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »

Buy a strong box from Home Depot or Staples.

1. Wrap the TS-930 in bubble wrap about 1" thick.

2. Buy packing peanuts and use a minimum of 4" on all side, more if possible.

3. Before sealing box, shake it as peanuts with pack in and settle. Put the accessories on the top.

4. After the seal, if you shake the box, it should feel like one solid piece. If you shake it and you can feel the TS-930 shift or move, you are underpacked !

5. Do not use peanuts without  wrapping the rig in bubblewrap.

6. If you have a shipper that uses Instapak, then use this instead. It is the best packing available.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »

Let me add another vote for letting the UPS Store pack and ship your radio.

A couple of years ago I put my two Radio Shack Mach Two speakers up for sale on my local Craig's List. These are the big floor model speakers and weight about 50 lbs each. Oddly enough, I got a reply from an interested party in Ohio. What was odd is that I live just outside of St. Louis, MO. I told him that it would probably cost more to ship them than what I was asking and that it might even be cheaper for him to drive to Missouri to pick them up. No problem he says. Go ahead and ship them.

Of course I did not have the original boxes so I went to my local UPS Store and got a quote for shipping and packing. The guy sent me a USPS Money Order and after it cleared, I took the speakers to the UPS Store and off they went.

A couple of days later the guy emailed me and said that the speakers arrived in perfect shape and they were packed better than when he had bought another set brand new from Radio Shack! He now has 10 sets of Mach Twos!
KI6LKP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am going to the UPS store now to examine their options. Story at 11:00!
Dave KI6LKP
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: