Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every ham's worst nightmare...  (Read 13283 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

I've been looking at QTH classifieds, and noted several postings that say something like "I'm the REAL KZxZZZ, some scammer hijacked my call and ripped people off, but I can prove I am who I say I am!" It's kinda like having your SSN stolen, I would think. Suddenly "you" are not "you". It's a growing problem.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »

look them up at QTH.com, or use a call sign app on the smartphone, call, and ask if they're the ones with the DeForest ship transmitter, or whatever.  tag their ad with the carrier if a schnook is doing the ad.  chances are they not only do NOT have the item, they move so frequently the process servers can't find them.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »

look them up at QTH.com, or use a call sign app on the smartphone, call, and ask if they're the ones with the DeForest ship transmitter, or whatever.  tag their ad with the carrier if a schnook is doing the ad.  chances are they not only do NOT have the item, they move so frequently the process servers can't find them.
Go to all services, AOL, Google, Yahoo, etc., and get your call sign as email before someone else does...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:25:26 AM »

Go to all services, AOL, Google, Yahoo, etc., and get your call sign as email before someone else does...

With all the 'services' that are up and running these days, that's hard to do.  Some businesses, associations and other entities even have their own e-mail account systems set up.

When I first signed onto a new service--Netzero--years ago, I tried getting my call as my e-mail address, and it was already taken--and that was less than a year after Netzero first started up!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:38:03 AM »

With all the 'services' that are up and running these days, that's hard to do.  Some businesses, associations and other entities even have their own e-mail account systems set up.

When I first signed onto a new service--Netzero--years ago, I tried getting my call as my e-mail address, and it was already taken--and that was less than a year after Netzero first started up!
Let me rephrase...  All major services...  Surprised at your call being taken by a netzero user though...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: