Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daiwa SWR Meter LED Mod  (Read 5729 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

I couldn't stand the very bright white LED that comes installed in the Daiwa SWR meters so I made a mod to mine. I removed the bright white SMD LED and installed an amber LED. Matches my Yeasu FT-8800R pretty well, and it's much easier on the eyes.  Smiley

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

A suitable resistor in series could have done the same job.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »

A suitable resistor in series could have done the same job.

No, because resistors don't change the color of the light emitted from the LED.  Tongue

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »

Congratulations on solving a problem to your liking.  However, looking at that yellow dial would drive me crazy! 

Guess this is why they have different color automobiles!   Grin
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »

However, looking at that yellow dial would drive me crazy! 

I don't know why.  Roll Eyes

It's effectively the same color as the Yaesu Ft-8800 display you see in the pic, and also the same color as the Astron P.S. V/A meters you don't see in the pic. Why does an SWR meter have to have a white illumination light?  Undecided

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »

Of course this is all personal preference..... but all of my meters use a white or bright incandescent lights for illumination.  The exception is my Kenwood TM-V7D which is blue.  I can change that to amber if I wish but I can't deal with an amber looking meter or radio face.

I've had to analyze this since you posted and the only explanation I can come up with is I associate a dim light with low voltage.  This probably comes from working in a power plant for over 40 years and anything that deviates from a bright light is cause for alarm.

On the other hand, it could be it's because I'm half blind and have difficulty viewing amber meters.   Roll Eyes
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

AXW:  Don't sell yourself short.  Apparently, human eyes are most sensitive to yellow light.  To the point of it being irritating.  http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-vision/color-and-vision-matters
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »

AXW:  Don't sell yourself short.  Apparently, human eyes are most sensitive to yellow light.  To the point of it being irritating.  http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-vision/color-and-vision-matters

From that link:

Yellow, pure bright lemon yellow is the most fatiguing color.

It's a good thing then, that the color I used for the meter, as well as the color Yaesu used on the Ft-8800 display, wasn't "pure bright lemon yellow". Cheesy

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »

I'm an owner of an FT-8900, and I don't like Yaehoo's bright yellow.  But unlike with my el-cheapo $35 HT by Puxing, I have no choice of blue or purple. (other than to tear into the head and replace the yellow SMT LEDs)
 Cry
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »

Did you increase the value of the resistor that was in series with the white LED? The bandgap voltage of an amber LED is lower than a white LED. If you did not, then the amber LED may be short lived.

Dale W4OP
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »

Did you increase the value of the resistor that was in series with the white LED? The bandgap voltage of an amber LED is lower than a white LED. If you did not, then the amber LED may be short lived.

Yep. It's drawing about 20 mA.  Smiley

As the other fellow said though, if you wanted to, you could just install a larger resistance and keep the white LED that came with it. But at 13.8 volts, it was waaaaay too bright for my tastes. I mean it's supposed to be a SWR meter, not a searchlight. I just installed a different color so all the equipment I have looks about the same. I love color coordination. Call me the Martha Stewart of the ham world.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: