Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JPS ANC-4 Antenna and setup  (Read 1638 times)
KC6SLA

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »

I am dealing with some serious noise on HF. It is mainly on 20m and 40m. I have tried everything I could think of to locate it but have not had any luck. I tried different antenna (a G5RV), coax, radio and even shut down the main breaker in the house and powered the radio off a battery. I still have noise. I also did some tests and determined it is local noise.
I recently bought a JPS ANC-4 off of Ebay and have done some reading about setting it up.
My question is where do I start as far as putting up an outside antenna for the ANC-4? It seems that how big and orientation of the antenna is important. How do I determine these things? My main antenna is a Hustler 4BTV ground mounted with 32 radials (BTW, I even took the 4BTV appart and cleaned up all the points of contact). Also, how high up does the antenna for the ANC-4 need to be? I tried putting up an antenna the size recomended in the manual but it has no effect on curing the problem.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

I used the MFJ noise canceller on 80 meters and had fair results. The noise antenna was an 80 meter mobile antenna mounted 50' from the transmit vertical. One ground rod was used. The noise antenna was a Hustler RM80 on a 6' whip but an MFJ Hamstick ($15) would work well too.

By the way, what is the noise level and what receiver bandwidth did you use to measure it?
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »

i have used the JPS/Timewave ANC-4 with good success on various noise in the previous
neighborhood.  Timewave sells the ANC-4 now.  put up a small dipole ant for example and see if you hear the noise with that ant.  the key to the sense ant is can you hear the noise with that ant.  if you can and the level is good you can adjust the anc-4 to phase  out the noise, or reduce it.  you will have to play with the controls to find the sweet spot that will cancel the noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: