Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI from power Lines?  (Read 2082 times)
KC6SLA

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »

I am dealing with noise on 20m and 40m.
I think it might be power line noise. The power lines in my area are burried and there is a splitter box that feeds my home and a few others about 60 feet from my home. The power company said there is no transformer in that box. When I take am AM broadcast radio up to it I get a loud buzzing noise when I get a couple feet from it. I also get a buzzing noise on the AM broadcast radio when a get a foot or so from the box on the side of my home. The power company looked at things and claim there is nothing wrong. Is that really normal to hear noise at that distance when using a cheap AM radio? BTW, when I am in certain parts of my home, one being close to the electrical box, my 2m HT breaks squelch.
N5RMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »

I'm not a powerline expert guy, but I'v done my share of RFI hunting.  The best thing to do, is to use a radio like the 706MKIIG on 144.000mhz AM with a 3 or 4 element yagi. The noise you hear at the box made be propagated on the power line from a block or 2 away.  Usually ceramic "Bell" insulator on a powerpole are the cause of RFI.  The yagi will allow you to located the noise in a general direction.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »

I am going through the exact same thing.  I have loud power line RFI on 160-40 meters.  The power lines are buried.  I have tracked the noise source to a transformer/distribution box two doors down from my house using an AM radio.  There is another transformer/distribution box one door up from me that is quiet.  I have contacted the power company to come and take a look.   They have sniffing gear that they use to detect arcing insulators and such.  I hope they can find the problem.  Especially if it is being propagated from another source.

Demand that they come with sniffing gear and find the problem.  They are responsible for any RFI they are causing to a licensed radio service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: