Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6500/6700 Shipping Yet  (Read 24276 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

Just curious: have the Flex 6x00 rigs started shipping in production quantities yet?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »

Just curious: have the Flex 6x00 rigs started shipping in production quantities yet?

Hey Jerry

I would guess that would depend on your idea of "production quantities" for a uber expensive SDR that few hams will want or be able to afford. 50 maybe or 100 units?  Wink

I suspect the majority of hams that want one already have one. They are the first adopters and Flexradio weenies. For everyone else - It is best to wait if you have deep pocket$$. There are MANY things not right with the present software.

I got a recent email that said in part:

"> While I am impressed with the 6700 and I know that, in time, the
> software will finally mature as It is truly the radio of the future. 
> I find that I usually use the 3000 as my go to radio.
> Not that the 6700 preforms poorly, but there are all those little
> things that need to be checked, tweaked, adjusted, and screwed around
> every time I use it.
> Better hold on to your 3000 or 5000A for a while and enjoy the quality
> and ease of operation from these radios for a while.

Since we are both past Flex 5K owners, it is deja vu.

Stan K9IUQ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »

According to Flex Radio's official road map, the full functionality of the Flex-6000 will not be fleshed out until at least the end of 2014.  I would not be too anxious to sink money into a radio that will not be fully functional for 1-2 years after the purchase date.    Some of the basic functionality that you expect from a radio is not going to be available until spring of 2014 according to the road map.   I have heard a few of the early 6000 series owners have gotten frustrated and mothballed their radios on a shelf until next year.

In fine Flex tradition, they have really screwed this one up.  They should have developed all this behind the scenes and gotten everything fully functional before announcing the product.  Instead they chose to let their loyal customer finance their new product development by loaning them money for a project they could not complete in 2-3 years.  Shameful...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:38:12 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:27:05 AM »

According to Flex Radio's official road map, the full functionality of the Flex-6000 will not be fleshed out until at least the end of 2014.

Shameful...

But not surprising. Flexradio has a history of this kind of behavior as e-hamers well know.

Stan K9IUQ
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »

I am always surprised when hams talk about the flex is not fully functional.

The 5000 is fully functional, why did they not make a platform that would work backwards?

I have considered a flex 6700 more than once. I have a Anan 100d from apache labs and a ftdx9000mp, i dont need the flex per say.

The Anan out of the box will do all modes and has excellent receive. The Anan hears as well as the 9k, which is hard to believe. The kx3 does not come close to the 9k, nor would i expect it to. Its still the best rig pound for pound. 9k=71lbs, kx3=3lbs.

i would like to hear the flexers say what mode does not work. not the panafall or a program . standard modes am,fm,ssb,dig,cw, and interfaces with hrd and fldigi, .

I have worked them on cw and they sound great. I would think they are great from hearing them.
if you can work all modes, what is the problem with the flex 6000 series??

Greg kc8iir
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »

I just tried to buy a 6500 and a 6700 from the Flex Store.. Alas,because of "High Demand" they do not have any to sell. I guess I should have given them a $2K down payment a year and a half ago. I would now have a "Limited Edition" (code words for Beta Edition, software not finished) 6700 and I would have a beautiful Flexradio jacket for waiting so long. I would be the Envy of e-hamers...  Wink Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ 
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

I just tried to buy a 6500 and a 6700 from the Flex Store..

Stan -- you're probably on their blacklist.  Grin
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

Stan -- you're probably on their blacklist.  Grin

Absolutely, that is why I used your call...  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

I'm probably on their blacklist too.  Wink
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »

Stan, maybe they have your IP address tagged as well?   Grin
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 06:05:48 AM »

The Flex Insider newsletter had this yesterday, and lots more about the 6000 series.

"FLEX-6000 Backlog Clearing Out
by Matt Youngblood, KD5FGE - CFO  

We are excited to inform you that we are in the final stages of clearing out our FLEX-6000 order backlog.  Over the next two weeks I will be calling through the remainder of the backlog list to finalize payment and shipment details.  If you have any questions on your current order please feel free to contact me at our main number or email me at matt@flexradio.com.    I look forward to speaking with each new owner in the coming days.

Matt"
---------

One local has his 6000 and another told me he would receive his in a week or two.

For Flex-1500, 3000 and 5000 owners, "If beta testing proceeds as planned, we hope to release PowerSDR v2.7.x sometime in late December or early January. Make sure you check out next month's insider for a sneak peek on some of the additional features and changes in PowerSDR v2.7.x."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:16:05 AM by K0OD » Logged
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »

Matt,

When I received my latest Insider I found it a very interesting read.  I have been very happy to see that Flex is moving again and have overcome some the major obstacles they have been fighting for some time.  They can now begin to showcase their excellent architecture and many of us of who lost faith in them over the past 24 months are now looking again at the exciting future that could be built when employing 6000 series servers as a foundation.  They have a tremendous amount of work yet to do but they are the only vendor publishing a modern vision (radio as a server) for our hobby and perhaps they can rekindle some of the excitement they lost during all the initial delays?  

Tim, N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

"Historic" CW performance my arse. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Ten-Tec I had twenty years ago had at least as good, and probably better, QSK performance as the Flex-6000.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »

"Historic" CW performance my arse.

Yep. In an inquiry to a Flex Employee before I bought one, I was told the Flex 5K was an excellent CW rig..... We all know how that turned out.

You gotta give credit to the Flexradio Company, they got the baffle them with BS down perfectly. They really need to spend time getting the basics right - like a Panafall. Imagine that, a SDR without a Panafall. It would be like buying a car without a steering wheel.

FWIW there was a 6700 for sale on QTH.com today. Another (un)happy customer after only a few months.  Wink Smiley

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »

posted without the express permission of FlexRadio Systems.
------
BTW I presume Flex doesn't object to me posting this.

may not be distributed or posted without the express permission of FlexRadio Systems.

Ar you blind or just cannot read?
may not be distributed or posted without the express permission of FlexRadio Systems.

If you have trouble understanding this I can help.

I object. It is an Flexradio advertisement plain and simple. Eham should send you a bill for advertising.

I would NEVER post something like that without getting permission first. You might get sued.

Wait.................. They ain't gonna sue a Flex Lover. They will sue eham for allowing you to post it.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:02:08 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: