Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shure mic ele. Part Number for Model 444 Microphone  (Read 2815 times)
W1LC

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:23:25 AM »

Good Morning from brisk, sunny New England:

A question for a knowledgeable Shure 444 mic aficionado(s). Bear in mind this question concerns the older Model 444 (circa 1969), NOT THE later 444D (which is DUAL-Impedance selectable)...

What is the proper Shure part number (long version) for the R5D element therein? It probably begins with 99 and has six or eight characters in full length, the last two of which may be a date code...

Any of you who have this older classic and wouldn't mind taking a peek inside and pulling out the Controlled Magnetic element and sharing the number would be greatly appreciated. Be careful as it may be hard wired to the base/P.T.T. switch. Btw, I have the Model 444 data sheet from Shure, but it only lists the shorter identifier (R5D) which is apparently NOT stamped or otherwise shown on the element itself!

Thanks for the assist with this.

Very 73,

Dana George Reed, W1LC
Spencer, MA
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:42:09 AM »

Controlled Magnetic (Hi-Z) R5D : 99A86 xx (stamped in red)
xx - 2 alpha-numerics for the date code)

BB - 1962
EE - 1965
FF - 1966
LA - ??
NI - ??
PK - ??

==
Many examples on eBay (I see at least 10) with date codes and
descriptions from various microphones (some with dates).

Use this key search word: Shure controlled magnetic r5d
==
Other option us to contact Shure, and ask about Red Ink Date Code.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:50:07 AM by W9GB » Logged
W1LC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:47 AM »

Thanks Greg, W9GB. The element in my late-60s Model 444 looks like it has "I I" as the last two characters, which like you, I've learned via eBay is the date code, at least on elements produced during that decade. I also learned the I I probably means September, 1969 as the first of these last two characters signifies the Month of production, that is, I equals 9th character, and 9 also being the last numeral of the year itself--'69. This is approximately consistent with the Shure Data Sheet paperwork that was included with my mic, that contains a document date of (10-67). Say, just a coincidence that you are also from Illinois, the State where Shure Bros. is headquartered (in Evanston)?  Wink I wonder if they still offer replacement cartridges for both the 444 and 444D Ham Desk Microphones? Maybe that is also a good reason for me to give them a call soon! In any event, thanks again for the helpful assist, Greg!

73, Dana W1LC
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

Dana -

Yes, Shure Brothers is up the road in Chicago's North Shore communities.
Guitar Center retail stores across the USA are Shure dealers.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/other

Shure 444 User Guide (1978), microphone cartridge: R5R
http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/402/us_pro_444_ug.pdf

Shure 450 Series II is the current production model.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/other/450-series-ii-voice-communication-microphone

Shure 450 Series II User Guide
http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/405/us_pro_450seriesii_ug.pdf

FAQ on the Shure 450 Series II model:
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/p/0/c/0/kw/450/search/1

The current production microphone cartridge for the 450 model is: R96.
I have used this cartridge for replacements/restorations of various microphones, and it is quite good.

Shure U.S. Service & Repair
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/service-repair
Shure Incorporated
Attn: Service Department
5800 West Touhy Avenue
Niles, IL. 60714-4608

Tel: +1-847-600-8699
Toll Free (U.S. only): +1-800-516-2525
Fax - Service: +1-847-600-8686
Fax - Parts: +1-847-600-8688
e-Mail: service@shure.com

Shure Product Support
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/user-guides/discontinued-products/microphones
Shure Incorporated
Attn: Product Support
5800 West Touhy Avenue
Niles, IL
60714-4608

Tel: +1-847-600-8440
Fax: +1-847-600-8444
Ask A Question: support@shure.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:04:25 AM by W9GB » Logged
W1LC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

Huh For some reason, Greg, the 444 in my possession has a 99B86 prefix before the "I I" date code. I noticed you listed part number 99A86 for the R5D mic element. Wondering if the B character is a revision of A, or a different mic element altogether? Maybe that is a question I'll have to pose to Shure as well. My mic doesn't appear modified at all, so I'm confused about that. It seems to have been produced in the year 1969 from what I can see, so maybe they did an element change during production years... Thanks for posting the various URLs as well for Shure info. I tried a few of them and they seem to hang up loading the second or third PDF pages from the actual .cdn. URLs anyway. Dunno why, but maybe it doesn't like this older desktop!  Wink
73, Dana
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »

Do not get "Hung Up" on internal Shure production/mfg. numbers --- Meaningless diversion
The Controlled magnetic microphone element (dynamic) were all same design, with production runs -- like ANY mfg.

The R96 microphone element will work in your Shure 444, if you have any other questions --
pick up your cellular phone (you pay a monthly fee for it) and talk to Shure Service or Product support.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:18:02 PM by W9GB » Logged
W1LC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

Greg, I did contact Shure via their customer support e-mail you kindly provided, and they confirmed that parts are no longer available for the 444 and 444D microphones. However, I was given another Shure in-house number to call and ask the question about the specific elements used, and any possible availability of those still, so I will follow that up. I am just basing my inquiry about the 99-series number as contrasted to those various Shure Controlled Magnetic cartridges I've seen on eBay, advertised as "harp mics", etc. Just curious as to what their sensitivity and frequency response is relative to the R5D. As you know with any cartridge or mic element (transducer), both sensitivity and especially frequency response are CRITICAL for that bright, balanced sound in whatever particular application they are deemed well suited for. I will see what I can learn from Shure's technical dept since these are discontinued mics anyway. FWIW, I purchased this 444 as NOS on eBay and just wanted to ensure the mic element was the proper P/N for this one, circa 1968-69. Tnx Agn and Very 73, Dana W1LC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: