Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: contesting in digital modes  (Read 1707 times)
AK4YW

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »

I am a fairly new ham that has begun experimenting in digital modes.  My dumb question relates to coitesting- is digital considered part of cw contesting or are there specific digital contests? 

Thanks

Tim AK4YW
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:58:16 AM »

CW is CW and digital is digital. They are not interchangeable. Unless it is a contest like the IARU World Championships, The School Club Roundup (which really isn't a contest I guess), Field Day (which also is technically not a contest either) or one of the state QSO parties, contests are usually mode-specific.

There are a few PSK contests, but RTTY is by far the most popular mode for contesting.

Here is a link to one of the best contest calendars around: http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

You can go to the 12-month or Perpetual calendar tabs and get an idea of when the contests are scheduled.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

N0IU covered the basics, Tim, but I'll add:  WA7BNM has another contest calendar, worth a look, very easy to use.  RTTY contests are a GREAT way to get your feet wet with RTTY; you just need to set up a few macro keys and you can bag a bunch of contacts in a very short time!  (I also think RTTY contests are a bunch of fun, but that's another story.)  RTTY ops are very good about uploading to Logbook of the World, so you'll get a high confirmation rate from RTTY contesting--PSK, too.  And one last thing; I haven't been active on PSK in several years, but it's a bunch of fun, too.  There's a PSK club, the "070 Club," that sponsors lots of fun events and small contests--take a look at their website, they're a bunch of really nice people and you can have a lot of fun with them!

GL 73!  --ken
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »

I am a fairly new ham that has begun experimenting in digital modes.  My dumb question relates to coitesting- is digital considered part of cw contesting or are there specific digital contests? 

Thanks

Tim AK4YW

I really enjoy contesting in Digital mode.  It's not hard to do - interesting to see what call signs pop on the screen..  you can relax and do other things at the same time when not busy..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: